Options

70-461

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the heads up Carl. I think I might go for it, seems manageable.

@ Daniel

I work as a master data analyst, so I manage the data that comes into the database and build SQL scripts to review data, look for integrity issues etc. I do build tables, views and large queries. So not really but sort of
  • Options
    daniel108daniel108 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @DatabaseHead

That's still pretty cool man
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    But, oh so worth it! Very close to the test questions.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    i might get it after I go through these books
  • Options
    Plus you get flashcards. I know, you are excited now, right?
  • Options
    Scared which book are you talking about? Sorry lost it....
  • Options
    thats cool, making your own flashcards sucks
  • Options
    Are you guys going to talk me into reading my training kit book again?! I literally have pages falling out of the dang thing, in fact it's hard to keep it in order now the binding has given way. Ugh....... For the life of me I can't stomach the XML section. Maybe I'll take some pills or something to help me focus.
  • Options
    I think scared is talking about Transcender. The questions are similar to the actual test and it comes with flashcards..

Training kit doesnt seem too bad. Working with XMLs in SQL is definitely a weakness of mine but we use them a lot at my job.
  • Options
    269 just for the e training? Anyway to swing a package deal?
  • Options
    Scared which book are you talking about? Sorry lost it....
    Transcender, when you buy the test, it comes with flashcards
  • Options
    But the Training Kit doesn't cover XML that much. Joe's Pro's Volume 5 covers that. With a much less complicated view. I love it.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I found the Training kit to be pretty good, but the XML section was dry. Practice, practice, practice.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    I'm actually working on a query right now, I always seems to default to the virtual table aka Derived Table. Love them joins in the from......

Just can't seem to get away from them. :)
  • Options
    Derived tables are pretty cool. It made things so much easier when I figured out how to write subqueries. I used to select a column then copy the results and use them in a where clause. It was a pain having to format each element with single quotes...

Good times...

Then tried figuring out if I could store the select statment as an array.

It blew my mind when I figured out you could select from a select statment.
  • Options
    Blow my mind I am not sure I follow. Any white pages or sites in regards to this? I am familiar with Array's and Collections from VBA back in the day when Access was the thing lol. Not sure how you call them in your select. Are you talking about doing a distinct in a sub select and then referencing it in your outer select?
  • Options
    Blow my mind I am not sure I follow. Any white pages or sites in regards to this? I am familiar with Array's and Collections from VBA back in the day when Access was the thing lol. Not sure how you call them in your select. Are you talking about doing a distinct in a sub select and then referencing it in your outer select?

Select <select list>
    From (select <select list> from table_name where col = x)

This is a basic select from a select. I thought this was what u meant by derived tables.

My array idea didn't work.

I'll post a link later
  • Options
    Yeah that's it for me.

SELECT *
    FROM A LEFT OUTER JOIN ( SELECT * FROM B ) AS C ON C.UI = A.UI INNER JOIN
    Another table etc. Usually when I have to sum or max/min to a certain level and then join back into the table. Clear as mud?!
  • Options
    Lets say there are two tables: Person and Documents.

Lets also say that the personid is an attribute in both tables but all I know is the peoples names.

John
    Mark
    David

I want all records from documents associated with these three people.

So I need their IDs.

I would write

SELECT personid FROM dbo.person WHERE firstname in ('John','Mark','David')

Results:
    personid

Now i have to write another query and use those results in the WHERE clause. I thought that maybe it was possible to store it as an array or something. This is before I knew about JOINS or subqueries. I was thinking that I could store 1, 2, 3 as a variable.
  • Options
    SELECT P.*, D.*
    FROM PERSON AS P
    JOIN DOCUMENTS AS D
    ON D.PersonID = P.PersonID AND P.FIRSTNAME IN ('JOHN', 'MARK', 'DAVID')

WITH CTE_TEST
    AS
    (

SELECT *
    FROM PERSON
    WHERE FIRSTNAME IN ('JOHN', 'MARK', 'DAVID')

);

SELECT *
    FROM CTE_TEST AS T
    JOIN DOCUMENTS AS D
    ON D.PersonID = T.PersonID

Any of these work for you?
  • Options
    Hopefully my bad SQL didn't scare everyone off! Rest assured I am applying for a Senior Account Manager position. Strictly financially though.....
  • Options
    haha na, It's a good query. I just didn't know that was possible when I first started learning SQL. CTEs and derived tables make things easier.

I just got to Chapters 6 Querying Full Text and 7 Querying XML data. Ya'll weren't lying, these chapters are rough....I'm skipping them and coming back to them later.
  • Options
    How XML heavy is the exam?
  • Options
    I think there is about 5 or 6 XML questions...
  • Options
    With two fails under my belt I agree with SoT. There is about 5 - 6 and both times I took the exam they were the first ones right out the gate. <Shakes head>
  • Options
    With two fails under my belt I agree with SoT. There is about 5 - 6 and both times I took the exam they were the first ones right out the gate. <Shakes head>
    and talk about deer in the headlights look. LOL. I have failed 2X as well @Databasehead. We should form a club. kidding...
  • Options
    I just wanted to get up and leave.
  • Options
    I've come to the conclusion that this exam is for developers not analyst like myself. I think I'm going to finally put my hopes of this certs to bed. I will still encourage and add to this thread. I like it....
  • Options
    Do you think getting an MCSA would help me get a data analyst job? Trying to get out of help desk work...
  • Options
    EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    I think MCSA (SQL Server) is useful in re-assuring people that you know at least some SQL Server stuff and can be trusted to some extent. Exam 461 gives broad coverage of hands-on SQL query writing. 462 covers hands-on DBA tasks, but also the design of high-availability configurations. 463 covers SSIS and data warehouse design (which I was surprised to find is quite different to the design of OLTP databases).

I've recently found out that one of the (slightly paranoid) customers I work for won't let anyone without MS certification login to their SQL Server boxes. I think certifications can open doors in some circumstances.