Options

Cables and modules for CCNA lab please.

2»

Comments

• Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I'm from the UK (Surrey) and I maybe selling some 3750's, 3550's and 2901XM routers within the next month or two if you're interested PM me.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sellers usually include the cables with the 9 pin serial connector because they are cheaper. But, unless you have serial ports on your computer, you need a serial to usb adapter to connect the cable via a usb port to your computer.

Unless there is a way to connect the cable to your computer, you are probably not going to use it. So, you will probably only use 1 or 2. And, it is always nice to an extra just in case something breaks.

probably better luck with a powered usb hub. but don't know any to recommend.
  • Options
    sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    clarson wrote: »
    sellers usually include the cables with the 9 pin serial connector because they are cheaper. But, unless you have serial ports on your computer, you need a serial to usb adapter to connect the cable via a usb port to your computer.

Unless there is a way to connect the cable to your computer, you are probably not going to use it. So, you will probably only use 1 or 2. And, it is always nice to an extra just in case something breaks.

probably better luck with a powered usb hub. but don't know any to recommend.

Getting my stuff from ebay so often nothing extra included with anything... no cables with cisco units etc.. i do not have serial ports on any computers.
    So you are saying, ideally, a powered usb hub, 6 console cables and 6 serial to usb to convert the console cables???
  • Options
    Unless you are getting a quantity discount, I'd just start out with 2 and see how that works for you. You can always buy more later.
  • Options
    i've had a belkin N10117 usb hub work for me before. But, with a different computer, different OS, different drivers, etc. I certainly cant guarantee it will work for you. And it is just a 4 port hub.
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sferg410 wrote: »
    Getting my stuff from ebay so often nothing extra included with anything... no cables with cisco units etc.. i do not have serial ports on any computers.
    So you are saying, ideally, a powered usb hub, 6 console cables and 6 serial to usb to convert the console cables???

No he's saying buy USB console cables like this, not serial console cables. Trouble is they're so much more expensive so I doubt you're going to have one permanently connected to each and every device. Cheapest I could find was £11.85 in the UK or £8.17 from China, but for fear of repeating myself I've been screwed buying stuff from China so I'll never do it again - nothing worse than waiting a month for something to be delivered only for it not to work, then the Post Office tells you it'll cost the full value of the item or more to return it so whatever you do it's all money down the drain.

I always planned to add something like this into my PC but never got around to buying one, and now they're apparently dropping frame relay from the new exams I'm not sure I'll need one, so I just plug and unplug the cables as I need them (cables are permanently connected to my routers, I just plug one in at a time to my serial port as I'm lucky enough to have one, and I don't even have to reboot the PC to switch them around, only downside is that I can't monitor 4 or 5 devices simultaneously).