Windows 10 will assimilate you

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/05/24/171215/windows-10-upgrade-activates-by-clicking-red-x-close-button-in-prompt-message

Pretty much happened to me last night. I was in the middle of a blog post, got the annoying pop-up which was lagging so I clicked X, got up to grab some soda and by the time I got back, I was mid upgrade. Sigh. I guess I'll be spending my day off reformatting and reinstalling all my stuff
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• KoreKore Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can do a roll back to windows 7 with this guide:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-from-windows-10

There is an application called Never10 that will disable thee upgrade.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I was thinking just nuke and pave over. I don't want to deal with downgrade problems. A lot of people were complaining it blue screened them when they did and I was meaning to reformat soon anyways. All my other machines have Windows 10 like my Surface but I like keeping one without it in case of compatibility issues.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's such bad form
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a user error.... icon_wink.gif
    Sounds like a user error.... icon_wink.gif

You're 100% right. Layer 8 issue. This dumb user assumed that X means close. That's the problem with assuming :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/05/24/171215/windows-10-upgrade-activates-by-clicking-red-x-close-button-in-prompt-message

Pretty much happened to me last night. I was in the middle of a blog post, got the annoying pop-up which was lagging so I clicked X, got up to grab some soda and by the time I got back, I was mid upgrade. Sigh. I guess I'll be spending my day off reformatting and reinstalling all my stuff
    Same thing happened to me this morning (minus the soda.) I thought I clicked NO. Ugh.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    I need to drop a line to Malwarebytes and see why they're not detecting the Windows 10 virus. Wreaks havoc on Windows 7/8 systems.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No idea how do you folks not disable this upgrade while on 7 and 8 with all that media coverage. I haven't actually seen this upgrade suggestion on any of my 7 or 8 devices and upgraded 1 to see what's up in a controlled fashion.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're 100% right. Layer 8 issue. This dumb user assumed that X means close. That's the problem with assuming :P

Happens when you're too used to the CLI :)
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I uninstalled and then hid the update that caused the Windows 10 nag to appear. I was quite shocked when the nag appeared again a few days ago. I uninstalled and hid the update again. I think I'm just going to install CentOS or Ubuntu at this point and run Windows in VMs for when I need to use programs that don't work in WINE and haven't been ported over. I've been meaning to do it for awhile for my Linux studies, but I'm becoming extremely disgusted with the way Microsoft is handling this update business. The sad fact is that I'm going to buy a Windows 10 license to be run as a VM at some point.
    Or just install a Windows 7 VM and wait until it starts nagging you and upgrade it so you don't have to buy Winblows 10 :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    There's an article on ZDnet that shows how to get rid of the upgrade nag through the group policy editor (Ult/Pro only) or registry (Home). I'd link it, but last time I tried to post a link, my comment went into some virtual oubliette, and has still yet to show up on the forum.
  • TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    I haven't messed with Win 7/8/10 much unless superficially at work to do work tasks ( mainly Outlook and browsing) i wonder what all the hoopla against Win10 is all about.
    I borrowed a friend's computer this weekend to see and it's not half bad unless you're a purist.
    I will have to google about the commotion from users.
    Why are many of you mad about Win 10 from a user perspective?
    Ive been on Mac for the past 9 years.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Or just install a Windows 7 VM and wait until it starts nagging you and upgrade it so you don't have to buy Winblows 10 :P
    Unfortunately, I don't have Windows 7. I went from Vista directly to Windows 8.1 on my laptop, which I bought back in 2008.

When I built my desktop about a year ago I installed Windows 8.1 pro on it. I've thought about upgrading one of the Windows 8.1 installations, but I don't really trust Microsoft with the whole thing about Windows 10 being valid for the life of the device without giving specific details about what that means. I would rather have separate Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 licenses so I don't have to worry about future Microsoft tomfoolery in regards to licenses that were upgraded from other versions of Windows.
    I haven't messed with Win 7/8/10 much unless superficially at work to do work tasks ( mainly Outlook and browsing) i wonder what all the hoopla against Win10 is all about.
    I borrowed a friend's computer this weekend to see and it's not half bad unless you're a purist.
    I will have to google about the commotion from users.
    Why are many of you mad about Win 10 from a user perspective?
    Ive been on Mac for the past 9 years.

I have it on my Surface 4 and it's great here. Just some incompatibility issues here and there which is why I have a dedicated Windows 7 machine that I use for all my gaming and some other lab stuff. I don't like having to go through all this BS thanks to a forced upgrade. Oh well...
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    I do like Windows 10 on some of my machines, but I don't trust it enough yet for my primary. I stuck with XP a long time before I upgraded to 7, and will probably hang on to 7 for as long as I feasibly can.

That said, I do try to image my boot drive on my primary at least once a month in case of a catastrophic failure. Installing everything from scratch is such a time sink.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had to roll back my windows 10. My video drivers one day just stopped being recognized, after an update I assume.
    I had to roll back my windows 10. My video drivers one day just stopped being recognized, after an update I assume.

I had trouble with AMD video drivers in Windows 10 on one of my boxes last year, so I ended up taking 10 off it. I upgraded that box to 10 again a couple months ago and it seems like they worked out whatever the problem was. Microsoft definitely pushed 10 out way too fast. But we all know that's nothing new.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Windows 10 is just beautiful
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    10 looks ok, but I don't like the spyware in it, and anything that does not look EXACTLY like 7.

I must thank Microsoft for making 8, 8.1, and 10, I have made quite a bit of cash money on the side from taking those OS's off of people's computers and reinstalling 7, plus hiding certain updates, and recently starting to also use Never10, to keep 10 away.

My computers will never have 10 on them.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wait pressing "X" doesn't cancel? Anyways I like Windows 10 much more than Windows 8 or 8.1 but there is a lot of annoying/intrusive stuff that goes on in in background. I use it for my home surveillance camera system and I had to disable a lot of stuff to lock it down that ends up being turned back on almost every time there are security updates.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yesterday it didn't. I was quite shocked an hour later, when the system rebooted and announced that it was doing the upgrade. VERY annoying. So far, after doing some tweaking, 10 is 'ok'. I can go back to 7..(safely before the 30 days is up). I just didn't like the way it was done. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    I also don't like the scary language Microsoft uses for updates. Calling things "recommended", and "security" updates. How do we know what they are really installing? They don't often get much more specific than saying it is for security. It's like they are saying "shut up and do what we tell you, this is for your own good and you're too dumb to realize it".

They don't fool me.icon_cool.gif
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    thomas_ wrote: »
    ... I think I'm just going to install CentOS or Ubuntu at this point and run Windows in VMs for when I need to use programs that don't work in WINE and haven't been ported over. I've been meaning to do it for awhile for my Linux studies, but I'm becoming extremely disgusted with the way Microsoft is handling this update business. The sad fact is that I'm going to buy a Windows 10 license to be run as a VM at some point.
    Aha, do a hardware install of Linux and see what the word "terrible" means. If it's a consumer-level hardware Linux won't like it. Linux likes business- grade hardware, like pricier laptops and workstations, even then it has to be certain build. And not latest and greatest. Because Linux.
    Your CentOS install may go smoothly, it's the updates that you watch out from. Linux developers are like elephants in a room full of precious china. Don't change disk topography, like resizing partitions, next update may throw you in front of Black Screen Of Death. And you have to reinstall everything again. I had to resize /home partition at some point and later updates "saw" that. No boot on my dual boot laptop. No matter what.
    Windows 10 nag haven't appeared on my Windows 7 machine yet, this morning. I'll make sure I duck and hide until it goes away. Luckily, I just did a backup yesterday.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Linux usually doesn't have those problems these days. Five to ten years ago yeah, but these days, especially something like Ubuntu you aren't going to really run into hardware problems. I haven't had Windows on a personal computer in at least 5 years now. I even put Linux on an old Dell laptop for my old lady and she hasn't had a single issue and shes one of the least technical people I know. Pretty much everything the average consumer does these days can be accomplished via browser like chrome.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's almost like Microsoft is encouraging Windows 7 users to disable windows update until July 30, 2016...
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Linux usually doesn't have those problems these days. Five to ten years ago yeah, ...
    I see. So what happened to me few months ago was actually ten years ago?
    Have you visited any of the Linux forums lately? See how often booting comes up as the topic.
    Well everything breaks now and then. Even Windows! That's really just anecdotal evidence. Hardware support out the box has come light years in recent years with Linux.
    Users would surely respond with such a pace of progress. But it's not happening! Why?
    P.S. Your old lady's Ubuntu install that works without a hitch is a rather anecdotal evidence.
    Well as professionals in this industry I think we both know tech adoption from a consumer stand point has absolutely nothing to do with what is best from a technical standpoint.