A note for content creators

rtidrtid Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Note/Rant:

If you create content for educating people in technical disciplines, which accounts for the majority of what this forum is likely engaged in at one point or another, please take the time to:

1. Develop a structured lesson plan and attempt to follow it.

2. Test your actual topology/configuration and refrain from winging it at every opportunity.

3. Edit your content post-hoc to eliminate any non-useful bits that bypassed items #1 and #2.

Thanks.

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    There seems to have been a race to the bottom with online training courses. Maybe it has something to do with people not being willing to pony up the money for quality.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    OctalDump wrote: »
    There seems to have been a race to the bottom with online training courses. Maybe it has something to do with people not being willing to pony up the money for quality.

I find that INE by far is the best video training provider from my experience. I really can't fault them, informative, organised, clear and concise.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Simrid wrote: »
    I find that INE by far is the best video training provider from my experience. I really can't fault them, informative, organised, clear and concise.

I'm going to assume you didn't see the BM videos where he fat fingers something or forgets to configure something and goes on 30-60 minute tangents where he's trying to troubleshoot his own config. There's hours of those videos on the CCIE R&S and CCIE DC video libraries
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    I'm going to assume you didn't see the BM videos where he fat fingers something or forgets to configure something and goes on 30-60 minute tangents where he's trying to troubleshoot his own config. There's hours of those videos on the CCIE R&S and CCIE DC video libraries

Ouch, yeah I haven't seen them. The security (NA) and R&S (NA+NP) seem to be solid compared to competitors.

Who's your preferred video training provider?

sriddle.co.uk
  • sea_turtlesea_turtle Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »

its not this at all. the scenario has been the same for ~2-3 years and now with IP EXPERT having folded its only magnified. If you are on the R&S track you can find quality materials at every turn from Cisco or 3rd party vendors.

If you are on the CCIE DC, CCIE SEC and i would say a little CCDE you can find some materials but you have to dig.

If you are on the CCIE SP or CCIE Wireless, good luck.

Now that INE and Narbik are the last two well known vendors standing outside of Cisco 360 programs ($$$$) you find that INE only puts their time/effort into tracks that have the more popular following (R&S/DC/SEC) and of course Narbik follows suit.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□

I actually like the imperfect videos that have you screaming at your monitor "you did it wrong! you forgot something!"
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    DPG wrote: »
    I actually like the imperfect videos that have you screaming at your monitor "you did it wrong! you forgot something!"

Yes me too - I did that a bit through the IE RnS videos and it was nice to sorta "validate" my own knowledge in a roundabout kind of way, but I can see the other side of the argument - we do pay good money for these courses...
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Simrid wrote: »
    Ouch, yeah I haven't seen them. The security (NA) and R&S (NA+NP) seem to be solid compared to competitors.

Who's your preferred video training provider?

I used to like JP and Jason Lunde's videos over at IPX. I know both are making their own videos now... I heard Jeff Rensink is good too and he started his own wireless company but I'm not going down the wireless track probably ever. I've seen some good videos off of Fastlane, TwistedIT, Lumoscloud, CBT Nuggets, Pluralsight, Labminutes, etc that are awesome as well. I think the difference is that they made the videos specifically for VOD and would either edit the messups out or would re-shoot because the content is delivered specifically as a VOD. With INE, I think the big problem is that they typically have a "two birds, one stone" approach of just recording live bootcamps with all the issues you might have live or taking videos they bought off of Youtube content providers (Rob Riker) and putting them in their entirety up as content without ANY edits. I also get irked at some of the technical inaccuracies but I've only noticed them so far in the security track since I didn't go far down the R&S path yet i.e. watching the Introduction to Firepower videos, "Command and Conquer servers" or "When Cisco says AMP, they really are just talking about their sandboxing technology." I guess it kinda also it hard to watch because for 5 or 6 hours of video, the majority of that is on a slide and maybe 1 hour of it is in the actual console of Firepower...

I will say this though: INE probably could rock it and kick the arse of the competition if they just developed VODs to be specific VODs, not try to turn bootcamps into VODs to save money. Heck, it would probably be improved a GREAT deal if they just edited the videos - I would have had a LOT of hours of my life back on the CCIE DC track if this had happened.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • sea_turtlesea_turtle Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□

I will say this though: INE probably could rock it and kick the arse of the competition if they just developed VODs to be specific VODs, not try to turn bootcamps into VODs to save money. Heck, it would probably be improved a GREAT deal if they just edited the videos - I would have had a LOT of hours of my life back on the CCIE DC track if this had happened.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Video 37 - April 2015 - Today.

come on INE pull your head out of your ass. the window to keep telling everyone "soon" has passed.
    I used to like JP and Jason Lunde's videos over at IPX. I know both are making their own videos now... I heard Jeff Rensink is good too and he started his own wireless company but I'm not going down the wireless track probably ever. I've seen some good videos off of Fastlane, TwistedIT, Lumoscloud, CBT Nuggets, Pluralsight, Labminutes, etc that are awesome as well. I think the difference is that they made the videos specifically for VOD and would either edit the messups out or would re-shoot because the content is delivered specifically as a VOD. With INE, I think the big problem is that they typically have a "two birds, one stone" approach of just recording live bootcamps with all the issues you might have live or taking videos they bought off of Youtube content providers (Rob Riker) and putting them in their entirety up as content without ANY edits. I also get irked at some of the technical inaccuracies but I've only noticed them so far in the security track since I didn't go far down the R&S path yet i.e. watching the Introduction to Firepower videos, "Command and Conquer servers" or "When Cisco says AMP, they really are just talking about their sandboxing technology." I guess it kinda also it hard to watch because for 5 or 6 hours of video, the majority of that is on a slide and maybe 1 hour of it is in the actual console of Firepower...

Interesting, i'll have to check them out. I usually don't bother with CBT Nuggets, but it sounds like they're worth a shot. As for the other companies you mentioned, i've never even looked into them. Cheers!

sriddle.co.uk
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not going down the wireless track probably ever.

You'll eventually run out of other tracks and find wireless the only thing left to do. icon_cool.gif
  • sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    I did INE's SISAS course and was overall happy with it.

Like others have said it wasn't without it's faults. During the CPP section he couldn't get the redirect working and was blaming a bug, but he had an error in his redirect ACL, and I was screaming at the screen after 2 videos of troubleshooting. I haven't watched the others yet.