Options

Ever experience a situation like this......

13»

Comments

• Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some people try to gain an advantage via Linkedin....
    is there really a difference?

Isn't that the purpose of linkedin?
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I guess you could say the Home Depot guy was good at networking with hiring managers...lol.
  • Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It happens a lot within any industry, personally I was offered a Linux role within a company all because I became good friends with the guy who taught my Linux course and in turn he was good friends with a friend of mine who worked at the same company as a software engineer. Both took breaks and lunches together.

I couldn't take the job because of family commitments at the time. I'm sure there was more experienced individuals than me.

My point is most of the time it comes down to who you know and not always who is the more experienced etc. Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting this is right, however it's the reality.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know a guy who owns a small company. He hosts servers, office, etc. He is a two man shop, but makes enough to own a 500k home.

He got into IT by playing original Quake. He was playing quake and become friends with a guy online. The guy was into IT and brought him into the industry. He went out on his own after about 6 years.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Infosec85 wrote: »
    It happens a lot within any industry, personally I was offered a Linux role within a company all because I became good friends with the guy who taught my Linux course and in turn he was good friends with a friend of mine who worked at the same company as a software engineer. Both took breaks and lunches together.

I couldn't take the job because of family commitments at the time. I'm sure there was more experienced individuals than me.

My point is most of the time it comes down to who you know and not always who is the more experienced etc. Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting this is right, however it's the reality.

You were being taught linux during your time of study and someone can actually evaluate your performance and ability going forward.

I am saying, Mr. Home Depot would not even get a blink had he to apply as an outsider in comparison to let's say someone from WGU with BS in Security.

He doesn't feel any shame going from minimum wage to $80k a year for a position he's not qualified for. His only chance at surviving in the industry will come from being helped along the way. Meanwhile, I read many threads on this forum where people who can do the work, can't even get a fair shake because of the lack of opportunities available.

As long as this continues, people will constantly fluff their resumes to get ahead.

Meritocracy is a joke in this industry.
  • Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    You were being taught linux during your time of study and someone can actually evaluate your performance and ability going forward.

I am saying, Mr. Home Depot would not even get a blink had he to apply as an outsider in comparison to let's say someone from WGU with BS in Security.

He doesn't feel any shame going from minimum wage to $80k a year for a position he's not qualified for. His only chance at surviving in the industry will come from being helped along the way. Meanwhile, I read many threads on this forum where people who can do the work, can't even get a fair shake because of the lack of opportunities available.

As long as this continues, people will constantly fluff their resumes to get ahead.

Meritocracy is a joke in this industry.

I totally agree with you on all aspects.