Quick resume question

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead CSM, ITIL x3, Teradata Assc, MS SQL Server, Project +, Server +, A+, N+, MS Project, CAPM, RMPMember Posts: 2,539 ■■■■■■■■■□
As far experience goes, if it's non related how far back do you go?

I graduated in 2000 from College and held a few government positions and corporate positions (semi low level), when can you begin to drop them from the resume?

I'd like to go back as far as 07 and list no more to be honest. Thoughts?

~9 years of history listed on the resume.

Comments

  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326
    Yea sounds good
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,078 ■■■■■■■■□□
    9-10 years is more than reasonable. Maybe add a line "previous experience available on request" to show you didn't start 9 years ago.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make a summary of those past experiences into one quick summary.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Security +, ITIL Foundation, MPT, EPO, ACAS, HTL behind youMod Posts: 2,752 Mod
    10 years should be okay.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    EANx wrote: »
    9-10 years is more than reasonable. Maybe add a line "previous experience available on request" to show you didn't start 9 years ago.

    I'll have to disagree. A hiring manager only looks at a resume for, on average, 6 seconds. They will be looking for skills and jobs you did recently, not 10 years ago. Put as much experience to not overflow into the next page on your resume, if that makes sense. And, they probably won't even see that line in the 6 seconds they look it over.
  • mzx380mzx380 ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM New YorkMember Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far experience goes, if it's non related how far back do you go?

    I graduated in 2000 from College and held a few government positions and corporate positions (semi low level), when can you begin to drop them from the resume?

    I'd like to go back as far as 07 and list no more to be honest. Thoughts?

    ~9 years of history listed on the resume.

    In terms of a hardcopy resume, you should limit it in terms of more mid to high-level experiences for the job you want. You can use LinkedIn for the purpose of elaborating on the entirety of your work history.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,078 ■■■■■■■■□□
    atippett wrote: »
    I'll have to disagree. A hiring manager only looks at a resume for, on average, 6 seconds. They will be looking for skills and jobs you did recently, not 10 years ago. Put as much experience to not overflow into the next page on your resume, if that makes sense. And, they probably won't even see that line in the 6 seconds they look it over.
    You have the right to disagree but this hiring manager spends more than six seconds on a resume.

    I look at resumes for a good 15-30 seconds each to weed out the obvious bad ones then spend a minute or two on each of the ones that remain. Filtering those down, I'll then take 5-6 minutes on each of the few that make the final cut.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Non-related positionso are line items on my resume
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648
    Ten years back should be fine, at least, that's how I have always done it.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead CSM, ITIL x3, Teradata Assc, MS SQL Server, Project +, Server +, A+, N+, MS Project, CAPM, RMP Member Posts: 2,539 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It just takes up to much space and leads to bizarro conversations. I was a realtor for 2 years and a property manager back in 05 and that brings up some strange conversations....... I'd rather omit that it seems more of a burden than a help. Prior to that I worked in logistics and supply chain as a junior analyst. Sort of ties to what I do now, but it was more tracking and researching inventory, not looking at pricing, discounts and surely not setting up data ETL's and SSAS mining structures.......
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    EANx wrote: »
    You have the right to disagree but this hiring manager spends more than six seconds on a resume.

    I look at resumes for a good 15-30 seconds each to weed out the obvious bad ones then spend a minute or two on each of the ones that remain. Filtering those down, I'll then take 5-6 minutes on each of the few that make the final cut.

    I don't think you're familiar with what the phrase "on average" means.
Sign In or Register to comment.