Options

Eeeeek - Several people in my department just got axed

124»

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    WFH today, waiting for my official written letter. They still have to run a DT and Background check on me.

Yesterday saw ~5 girls walking out with their boxes looking all sad. Think they might of been additional PM's Side note I would never be a PM, they get let go all the time.

Management wants to lean up for the future. While I am protected (I think) I get depressed seeing all that stuff.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let me channel some Trump here: "Believe me, they're all losers. You don't want to be with the losers, because you want people who can win. All the winners love you, ask anybody. Just look at all the winning you're going to be doing. It's tremendous."
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    Let me channel some Trump here: "Believe me, they're all losers. You don't want to be with the losers, because you want people who can win. All the winners love you, ask anybody. Just look at all the winning you're going to be doing. It's tremendous."

Wife and I just read this, funny stuff bro. :)
  • Options
    leboratoricalleboratorical Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could be leaving 15,000. I really want that before I head off. I work HARD for that as well.
    For me, that is a huge amount to leave on the table. However, the stress and worry could well be worth it, just for peace of mind and happiness, right?
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Are you sure they are going to be paying bonuses when they are laying staff off?

Where I have been in companies in these situations then all bonuses / pay rises are cancelled so they can afford to keep some of the staff on.

You have to consider that would you be happy to get a bonus that could have saved a significant part of someones job? A bit of an ethical dilemma...

In your shoes I would not count on that bonus given the circumstances, but wait to see how the situation develops. Don't be surprised to see it change to part of your bonus in 6 months and the rest in 12 months or similar so they keep you tie you in for longer.

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For me, that is a huge amount to leave on the table. However, the stress and worry could well be worth it, just for peace of mind and happiness, right?

How much will they be leaving on the table in terms of lost wages if they forego the new job offer to wait for the bonus, get layed off, and then subsequently can't find a job for a few months?
  • Options
    leboratoricalleboratorical Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    How much will they be leaving on the table in terms of lost wages if they forego the new job offer to wait for the bonus, get layed off, and then subsequently can't find a job for a few months?
    That's one of the hardest questions going. As I said, that's an incredible amount of money to be walking away from for me. However there will always be reasons to stay, and there are always going to be risks going to a new job where you're the new face on the totem pole.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yesterday saw ~5 girls walking out with their boxes looking all sad. Think they might of been additional PM's Side note I would never be a PM, they get let go all the time.
    There's huge differences between types of PMs. The low-level ones are more project coordinators than they are managers. Not sure if those ladies are at that level or not but solid PMs don't stay out of work long while project coordinators are typically just one step higher than admin assistants.
  • Options
    If you want to make financial gains you'll have to take significant risk, it's how it works. I realize there is risk with a new job, but I have a lot of skill so if it don't work out I'll go to work for another company. My aptitude is high and my work ethic is even stronger.
  • Options
    WHEW is all I got today. The works keeps piling up, my goodness. I'm so freaking frazzled it's crazy. The more I do the more I get, 0 balance. Wow....

I seriously may have to take a mental health day this is getting crazy.

In other news the new gig is supposed to send me my documentation (Drug test, references etc). as soon as today. I keep telling myself just 3 more weeks......
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The last week is definitely the hardest. EVERYONE knows what's about to happen, and a lot of times it feels eerie. The best thing you can do is continue to do your best, and use the current job for future recommendations.

OR you could do like Adam Sandler did to The Hoff in "Click"!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    LaSeenoLaSeeno Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have 1 foot out of the door already. I wouldn't let it overwhelm you--just do what you can. I would also be prepared in case they cut you loose the second you put your two weeks in.
  • Options
    Received the papers filling them out tonight.
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @DataBaseHead Run for the Hills. It sounds like your doing just that. Get out of there before things get worse. This can effect your mental health and since you have wife and kids it can effect the family too. No companies are a 100% loyal to their employees. It is all about the almighty dollar with them. Glad to see you got a offer.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    My previous company did 3 rounds of layoffs in 1 year. This could be only the beginning. As said above, be ready to move any day. Better safe than sorry.

Something I learned the hard way this past December.
    Got a new gig recently but "I ain't wasting no more time. Here I go again".
    meh
  • Options
    Papers were filled yesterday morning, waiting for the drug test voucher lol.

I assuming they are waiting for the background check to clear then move onto the drug test. (Just me assuming). They want me to start on the 6th, but they will need to get moving if they want to meet that date. I want to make sure I give two weeks.
  • Options
    Papers were filled yesterday morning, waiting for the drug test voucher lol.

I assuming they are waiting for the background check to clear then move onto the drug test. (Just me assuming). They want me to start on the 6th, but they will need to get moving if they want to meet that date. I want to make sure I give two weeks.

2 weeks notice is essentially a 1 week notice. Nothing gets done the last week. You will be focused on your new role and itching for any reason to walk out the door.
  • Options
    Update

Basically on an island making decisions on the fly, ones that could have huge impacts. Bandwidth is a nothing right now, on top of that interviewing for the junior position below me.

This is really getting tight in the neck. I am getting it in the shoulders neck etc....... Almost feeling like bouncing out, each day you come into a heart pounding anxious environments.

I'm really close to turning off my IM and not returning emails.....

It's like I am in survival mode, very very close to putting in my two weeks with out having anything official. A risk worth taking...... I'll see how today goes.
  • Options
    Update

Basically on an island making decisions on the fly, ones that could have huge impacts. Bandwidth is a nothing right now, on top of that interviewing for the junior position below me.

This is really getting tight in the neck. I am getting it in the shoulders neck etc....... Almost feeling like bouncing out, each day you come into a heart pounding anxious environments.

I'm really close to turning off my IM and not returning emails.....

It's like I am in survival mode, very very close to putting in my two weeks with out having anything official. A risk worth taking...... I'll see how today goes.

You just need to chill my friend. Like my Uncle says, "at the of the day the World keeps turning". Just relax and do what you can comfortably. No reason to put in a notice without another job lined up. Hell, if you're going to do that, why not DEMAND a huge raise instead. Worst they can do is let you go (maybe even with severance). Best you can do is get a ridiculous raise!
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just breathe and wait for the other job to finish its process. Then just do your job where you are and do not burn the bridge. Maybe once give your notice they will let you go with two weeks pay :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.