Options

age related

smurugan_tnsmurugan_tn Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
i was a government servant for a few years. And later on i shifted careers and now working as a graphic designer. Out of interest i learnt computer hardware. Now i am thinking of obtaining the CCNA. One small concern is that now i am 40+ years of age. Will my age be a problem for the prospective employer to hire me. It's a nagging question inside me. So, someone please answer.

Comments

• Options
    jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    Your age won't be a problem as long as you are ok taking orders from a manager/lead who is younger than you are. There are CCIEs here who are in their mid/late twenties
  • Options
    Thank you. No problem in taking job related orders from people younger than me in age.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    There's always going to be some employers who won't hire you for not great reasons - they don't like your shoes, or your name, or your age. There's not a lot you can do about those. But there's enough employers that won't be bothered. I think you can use your age to your advantage in some cases, since you can show that you have experience in a work environment, can get things done, follow instructions, organise your work, deal with the politics etc that are normal for any job. You might even be able to play the maturity card.

I definitely don't think that you should let it hold you back in any way. You might need to play around with your resume to highlight "transferrable skills", and naturally they will ask questions in any interview, but if they can see that you are sincere in your commitment and enthusiastic that should be sufficient. Then they'll just start asking you hairy networking questions to see if you really know your stuff. ;)
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always tell people to try to eliminate anything from their resume that can be taken the wrong way, don't give someone the opportunity to eliminate you. For instance, don't list your degree graduation date unless it's in the sweet-spot of 5-15 years ago and even that is iffy. Don't list hobbies or non-profit organizations you've worked for unless they have something specific to your career or the employer or you know a decision-maker shares it. You could list how you helped organize the DC Women's March and the decision-maker turns out to be a Trump supporter.
  • Options
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OP
    The days of being at a particular position at a certain stage of your life are over so don't be discouraged when applying for jobs. In fact, with the right scenario, your age could be a benefit as you could provide office/life experience which could prove valuable.

Good luck
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    Thank you all. Your words have restored my self confidence levels back to 100%. I am going at achieving a Cisco certification full speed. I thank everyone in this thread again.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm over forty and I had issues in the past taking direction from millennials who do not have the same education, certifications, and work ethic I have. Do you guys have any advice on this?

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Some humble pie. Respect the rank not the man to put it in military terms. At the end of the day that person is doing something right to be above you on the org chart.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    I'm over forty and I had issues in the past taking direction from millennials who do not have the same education, certifications, and work ethic I have. Do you guys have any advice on this?

My brother is a captain in the Army, and not even thirty. He has to give orders to men with far more experience than he has, but they do what he says. Of course, he commands a lot of respect because he is both tough and fair. But we can all end up in this situation sometimes.

I'm over forty too. It's tough in this industry, for sure. I do think you have a steep bias to overcome to earn respect. But the best way to do it is to stay proficient with technology. Keep learning. Know more than they do, and they have to respect you. And be humble about it, not an old know-it-all.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ccie14023 wrote: »
    My brother is a captain in the Army, and not even thirty. He has to give orders to men with far more experience than he has, but they do what he says. Of course, he commands a lot of respect because he is both tough and fair. But we can all end up in this situation sometimes.

I'm over forty too. It's tough in this industry, for sure. I do think you have a steep bias to overcome to earn respect. But the best way to do it is to stay proficient with technology. Keep learning. Know more than they do, and they have to respect you. And be humble about it, not an old know-it-all.

You are correct, I do have a bias against millennials. My experience working with them and for them has been negative for the most part. It will take a lot for one to earn my respect out of the gate. The ones I've met who were in the military, that is a different story.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unfortunately for me, being a part of the Millennial age group means being classified as one. I struggled greatly as being an instructor for this group of people. Now don't get me wrong... a lot of them had the right mentality and did things the right way. However, the ones that were lazy and expected everything to be handed to them... they give people like me a bad name.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't understand - why are you taking direction from them. If it's because they are your manager or team lead - why does it matter if they don't have the same certifications or education as you - they must have done something to have earned the position that they are in.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    paul78 wrote: »
    I don't understand - why are you taking direction from them. If it's because they are your manager or team lead - why does it matter if they don't have the same certifications or education as you - they must have done something to have earned the position that they are in.

Coming from an enlisted military background, you have to take orders from young Lieutenants straight out of college. I would think the longer you are in the military, the better you are at taking orders from people younger than you, after all as enlisted, we get older, but Lieutenants and Captains stay the same age (mid-late 20s).

Same thing in the civilian sector, I'm a pretty young IT Manager and I can tell the "older" guys had a hard time at first taking orders from the "young" new guy. My approach has always been the same, lead from the front, lead by example and lead by teaching. Now I have no problem employees or soldiers not liking me, as long as they do what is asked. Why not have the same approach? Don't like the guy, but if he is above you, just take the instructions and carry on with your life.

Paul, sorry, but it does not always work that way. People are in management position (notice i said management and not leadership) for various reason, I would say about half is because they are doing something right. Other half would be, networking, right place at the right time, seniority, etc.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    20 years ago, I was a 26 year old snot in my 1st leadership role... the majority of my team was 10-20+ years older than me. They pushed every envelope and me to my limits. but I didn't let it show, I learned to do their job as good if not better than they could. If they were in the right, I went to bat for them 110%. They taught me how to be a leader... The whole millennial deal, I see some of the stuff with my younger brother, the stereotypical millennial but the young kids at work are superstars... we have several in our CSOs org, one in particular was my junior guy the 1st couple of years he was with us, and was my first experience working with millennials, one of the hardest workers with the best attitude I have had the pleasure to interview and hire.

At the end of the day, whether you are an old salt with a much younger boss, or with much younger guys working for you, you get what you give.
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Over 40 and just changed jobs.

Ex-Military and the same hierarchy exists and it needs to be followed in the corporate world. I have no problems with a younger supervisor if they treat me with respect (with or without certifications or qualifications). If they don't then HR needs to be involved. I've been fortunate that I've been around co-workers that have the same mindset as I do. We're all in this together and we're as strong as our weakest link so we've all better get along and communicate.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul, sorry, but it does not always work that way. People are in management position (notice i said management and not leadership) for various reason, I would say about half is because they are doing something right. Other half would be, networking, right place at the right time, seniority, etc.
    You are correct - and that's true at all levels. I turn fifty in a few months and I've been a senior manager and leader for most of my career. I've worked for CEO's and CIO's that either got there through hard-work and tenacity and individuals who got there because they knew someone. But either way - they earned that position by convincing someone that they deserved it. I would never begrudge someone for how they got into their role/position. Whether that person was fit for the role was another matter - but I am paid for my business judgment and whether I can accomplish my objectives.
    My approach has always been the same, lead from the front, lead by example and lead by teaching. Now I have no problem employees or soldiers not liking me, as long as they do what is asked. Why not have the same approach? Don't like the guy, but if he is above you, just take the instructions and carry on with your life.
    Very very well said.
  • Options
    I' d received a private message. I replied to it. But i am not sure whether that has been delivered or not. The sent items folder also showed empty. I tried for the second time but result is the same. May i know why?.