CIA Hacking Into Smart TV's, etc

atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
WikiLeaks releases 'entire hacking capacity of the CIA' | Fox News

I'm sure everyone has heard about this by now. Yesterday, WikiLeaks released documents stating that the CIA is hacking into Smart TV's, cell phones and more. This wouldn't be news if it was the NSA, but this is by the CIA. Everyone knew that the NSA has the ability to do that, but at least I didn't think the CIA had to. What do y'all think?
«1

Comments

  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They must be bored as F if they want to see what I'm watching on TV and listen to my phone calls.
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick CISSP, CEH, CCNA, Sec+, Splunk Member Posts: 317 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What bothers me is it looks like the idiot, Assaange, is sharing the hacking tools to anyone who wants to download them. Doesn't he see a problem with that?
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is dated from 2012-2013. A lot of the tools have been patched and have corresponding CVEs

    Also if you have a clearance or looking to get a clearance. DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINKS. This can compromise your clearance.
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    What bothers me is it looks like the idiot, Assaange, is sharing the hacking tools to anyone who wants to download them. Doesn't he see a problem with that?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    It is dated from 2012-2013. A lot of the tools have been patched and have corresponding CVEs

    Also if you have a clearance or looking to get a clearance. DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINKS. This can compromise your clearance.

    I didn't know that. But, how would the government know we clicked on the link? icon_surprised.gif Are they, by chance, spying on you? icon_lol.gif
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Not Only CIA is doing crap like this, but companies. "Targeted advertising".
    I swear to all that the other day I talked about wanting to buy some kind of clothing, I did not search for it and later on I got ads on FB about that.
    I try to limit permissions on my phone but damn.
    You would be very naive to think companies are not listening and watching us through technology.
    meh
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    It is dated from 2012-2013. A lot of the tools have been patched and have corresponding CVEs

    Also if you have a clearance or looking to get a clearance. DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINKS. This can compromise your clearance.
    Who said that it can compromise your clearance?
    Lots of people that has clearance clicked that. Lets not forget Trump won because wikileaks destroyed Hillary. Trump is also a close friend of the infowars guy.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just because other clicked on it doesn't mean you should. The US Government considers classified material still classified whether it's been released to the public or not.

    The clearance runs on a need to know system. Since you are not the intended audience you do not have the need to know.

    I don't care if you click the link or not. Just stating a fact that some of our forum people might have clearances and the last thing I would like for them to have is their clearance revoked. Especially for this, this is silly. People will have screencaps and that might be safer.


    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Who said that it can compromise your clearance?
    Lots of people that has clearance clicked that. Lets not forget Trump won because wikileaks destroyed Hillary. Trump is also a close friend of the infowars guy.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Who said that it can compromise your clearance?
    Lots of people that has clearance clicked that. Lets not forget Trump won because wikileaks destroyed Hillary. Trump is also a close friend of the infowars guy.

    It's a DoD policy where government personnel are not allowed to view classified data in or out of controlled containers. It's eaiser to enforce active duty and GS employees than it is others. With that said, it's not something I see the USG pursuing, more like they will add it to the charges on top of other violations.

    Say there is currently an investigation on you (background check, clearance renewal, UCMJ, etc) could it affect yous? Would you want to risk it?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Not Only CIA is doing crap like this, but companies. "Targeted advertising".
    I swear to all that the other day I talked about wanting to buy some kind of clothing, I did not search for it and later on I got ads on FB about that.
    I try to limit permissions on my phone but damn.
    You would be very naive to think companies are not listening and watching us through technology.

    So get this, my wife and share an Amazon Prime account. I was searching for some clothes for my daughter just yesterday on Amazon, on my computer at work (was on break of course icon_wink.gif). Later that day at home during dinner my wife tells me she saw a really cute shirt for our daughter today that popped up on her Facebook page via an ad. She took out her phone, went on Facebook and showed it to me. It was one of the shirts I was looking at! WTF

    I just assume anything I do on any piece of technology can be seen by almost anyone (hence my avatar)
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, Microsoft USAMember Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How about this one: my wife messaged me on Google Hangouts about a certain product, and ads for it started showing up on my FB.

    Ain't nobody safe!
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITT: People who learn how cookies and sessions work.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, Microsoft USAMember Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In my case, I did not generate a cookie or hit an ad network. It was clearly mined from my message history.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I use my co-workers computer who leaves it unlock to check the link.......bahahahahah
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • tedjamestedjames Scruffy-looking nerfherdr Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're not already using it, install the uBlock Origin add-on. I have it for Firefox, and it does an amazing job. No more annoying targeted ads for me.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also with Google you can actually switch targeted ads off...
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, Microsoft USAMember Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ads Personalization has been turned off in my dashboard for years.

    The only thing I haven't done yet is install the DoubleClick IBA Opt-Out plugin, which I'm doing right now.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got this as a reputation point. lol. I still love this website.

    Completely wrong unfortunately. Downrate for thinking you actually knew what you were talking about.


    If somehow people don't know how cookies work and how it effects ads or shopping please click here

    https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-080217-3524-99

    I apologize if this news that companies mine your data for ads or options on what to purchase. That includes things like messages and does not necessarily mean you have to click on an ad to be tracked.


    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    The bothersome issue here is that privacy of others is being undervalued and usurped by other organizations and governments on an ever increasing basis. America's founding fathers would be turning in their graves to know the Fourth amendment of our constitution is being violated constantly. Its wrong, it has always been wrong because it has been abused far more than its poor justification.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Cisco/Fortinet/Meraki/Comptia Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the ads sometimes, its good when they know what I want to buy next and amazon is very good at this. :)
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    They must be bored as F if they want to see what I'm watching on TV and listen to my phone calls.

    To be clear; 'they' no more interested in what you're watching on TV than I am. The reason for gaining access to a smart TV is so that the mic or camera can be activated thus 'they' can listen to what's be said in that room or see what's going on in that room. The same goes for gaining access to smart phones, tablets and laptops.
    No longer an active member
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick CISSP, CEH, CCNA, Sec+, Splunk Member Posts: 317 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    It is dated from 2012-2013. A lot of the tools have been patched and have corresponding CVEs

    Also if you have a clearance or looking to get a clearance. DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINKS. This can compromise your clearance.


    Thanks. I didn't see the date on that. I still don't like that he did this. :) And there's no way I would click on the link!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just for fun, how does the CIA listening to my personal conversations have any effect on my life? I'm in no way saying it is OK. But what would they be doing with that information that would effect me in a bad way?

    Yes, I realize that it they are violating a Constitutional Amendment and shouldn't be able to do it. And I'm not asking the question in regards to other businesses, just the CIA. I'm sure most people on here know more than I do about this (haven't looked into too much personally) and asking cause I'm actually curious.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, Microsoft USAMember Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just for fun, how does the CIA listening to my personal conversations have any effect on my life? I'm in no way saying it is OK. But what would they be doing with that information that would effect me in a bad way?

    Yes, I realize that it they are violating a Constitutional Amendment and shouldn't be able to do it. And I'm not asking the question in regards to other businesses, just the CIA. I'm sure most people on here know more than I do about this (haven't looked into too much personally) and asking cause I'm actually curious.

    Assuming you are not engaged in nefarious activity, the only practical thing I can think of (right now) would be a case of mistaken identity where you were flagged as someone who was up to no good.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is more of the Big Brother argument. You aren't doing anything wrong so why have something to hide? However what is wrong and right is not a measurable item. I think that is the big issue because what might be considered right can be wrong tomorrow. Now you're on the other side of the fence. When in the end, they shouldn't be there in the first place.
    Just for fun, how does the CIA listening to my personal conversations have any effect on my life? I'm in no way saying it is OK. But what would they be doing with that information that would effect me in a bad way?

    Yes, I realize that it they are violating a Constitutional Amendment and shouldn't be able to do it. And I'm not asking the question in regards to other businesses, just the CIA. I'm sure most people on here know more than I do about this (haven't looked into too much personally) and asking cause I'm actually curious.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Not really sure if thats true. Ive never met anyone that lost their clearance because of clicking a link especially wiki.

    On top of that Fox news and CNN are streaming in the base. So does that mean anybody listening are going to lose their clearances?
    You can prove that they clicked it at work, but what about if they clicked it at home or in their phone? I think its pretty clear that the constitution protects your right at home.

    Are we saying that they will take away their clearances for clicking a link while hillary mentioned classified information such as nuke response time on TV and never went to jail?
  • mactexmactex CISSP, GCIA, GCED, GSEC, GCCC, CCNA Cyber Ops, A+, N+, S+ Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    It is more of the Big Brother argument. You aren't doing anything wrong so why have something to hide? However what is wrong and right is not a measurable item. I think that is the big issue because what might be considered right can be wrong tomorrow. Now you're on the other side of the fence. When in the end, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

    Exactly right and well stated.
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    ...I realize that it they are violating a Constitutional Amendment and shouldn't be able to do it...

    I think you've hit the 'N' on the 'H' here. 1st and 4th Amendments (or so I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong) at the very least. Does this count for nothing?
    No longer an active member
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This will be my last reply to your comment on this thread because obviously you haven't taken the time in between the last one to actually do research. Now you look silly.

    First. It is a security violation according to the DoD. If you don't have a clearance or don't mean to get one this does not affect you. I don't care if you click on it and you're DoD. It's your clearance and not mine. Here is a PDF you can read from the DoD on this matter since you don't know how Google works https://fas.org/sgp/othergov/dod/wl-notice.pdf

    Second the media can access the Wikileaks because there has been court rulings about that. Here is another link about the media and classified material since you still don't know what Google is. While they may not have complete protection, why not let them take the risk, not you personally? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/10/17/remember-its-illegal-to-possess-wikileaks-clinton-emails-but-its-different-for-the-media-says-cnns-chris-cuomo/

    Lastly, its not like clicking on it and boom your clearance is gone. This is something brought up when it comes to renewal. Where if you lie that can lead to them not renewing your clearance. Since it is a violation, you do have to report it, by DoD policy you need to speak with your ISM. I don't personally care if you do or not. Your ignorance on the matter is appalling.

    What I find hilarious above this is we are talking about CIA leaks. You probably know about the NSA leaks. The CIA leaks talk about them getting into IoT devices. You think the DoD doesn't watch Wikileaks? Yes you have a right to privacy but if this is your political stand as a DoD clearance holder this is a really weak one. If you're not then your argument about DoD policy is ignorant or you just don't know to Google. I would expect something better from someone like you on this forum. Not this.

    TLDR: If you don't have a clearance or don't care about getting one go click the links. If you have clearance or want to keep one please get the information indirectly. In the end, it is not my clearance who has the potential to be lost.
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Not really sure if thats true. Ive never met anyone that lost their clearance because of clicking a link especially wiki.

    On top of that Fox news and CNN are streaming in the base. So does that mean anybody listening are going to lose their clearances?
    You can prove that they clicked it at work, but what about if they clicked it at home or in their phone? I think its pretty clear that the constitution protects your right at home.

    Are we saying that they will take away their clearances for clicking a link while hillary mentioned classified information such as nuke response time on TV and never went to jail?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rob42 wrote: »
    I think you've hit the 'N' on the 'H' here. 1st and 4th Amendments (or so I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong) at the very least. Does this count for nothing?

    It does, but is it worth using one's time to change something that will have no foreseeable impact on their life.
    It is more of the Big Brother argument. You aren't doing anything wrong so why have something to hide? However what is wrong and right is not a measurable item. I think that is the big issue because what might be considered right can be wrong tomorrow. Now you're on the other side of the fence. When in the end, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

    I can understand this viewpoint. That would a be good argument.

    Appreciate the insights icon_thumright.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.