Options

What other reason cause you too look for a new job (other than cash)?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
It's well noted that people leave jobs for %/$ increase in pay.

Other than that, what are some other reason what would trigger YOU too look for another position? (Let's assume the pay was the same). And if the answer is I wouldn't totally cool as well. Just curious.....

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My last job, I was laid off, so that doesn't count.

However, the job before that was IT Support for a Home Depot Distribution Center. I was there for 5 years. I decided to leave because as I was increasing my knowledge (finished Bachelor's, started Master's), they were gradually taking permissions away from my group. As members of our group would leave, they would lower the requirements and keep more of the permissions (password resets, server configs, etc...) to Corp. I tried to get onto the Corporate team, but no one would even listen to me. I finally decided I had enough and found a position where I was the administrator for almost everything. I'm not very picky. I look for stability the most in a job. I will stick it through for a very long time before I decide to move on.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometimes people are just really, really bored.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I usually move when I realize I've gotten the most I could out of a role and there's nothing else to learn and no challenges left.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    when you have outgrown the company, when you see the place is on fire and they are ok with it and bad culture
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The tarot cards told me it was the right time to leave.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When you're stuck. If you're learning more and more, getting certs, getting more experience, but still sitting at the help desk, it might be time to move on. Some people don't want any more than help desk. Others want to get into the admin or security side of things. If you're growing but the company doesn't have any positions for you to grow into, then you need to find a company that does.
  • Options
    ira.aira.a Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Reasons to leave a job...
    • Toxic Culture
    • Poor Leadership
    • Below Average or No Benefits
    • Poor Work-Life Balance (especially due to the above)
    • Compensation not Equal to role (Either due to low-balling in the initial hire on, or because you increased skills/the market got more competitive/COL got crazy)
    • Career focus change
    • Major Life Event
    • Lack of upward mobility
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Listening to the wind of change....
    The tea leaves tell me that the industry I am in is no longer booming and is going into decline soon...
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The biggie for me is that after a few years of putting everything into a particular role or position, I usually start getting burnt out.

I think it's the wash-rinse-repeat cycles that start getting old for me. Like maybe new Windows version deployments, the cycle of people coming and going and training new people just to see them leave before you, the repeated organizational politics/debates/arguments, etc.

Some people find comfort in those cycles, but it makes me want to move on to new challenges.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I agree with once you've outgrown the company. Right now I am at an intermediate level, and my MSP offers me access to partner training that I might not get else where, plus my CMNA Meraki gear I use at home is set to expire in the next year so must keep this job until I can refresh for at least another 3 :)

Though there are days I just want to slam my laptop shut, from getting my ear chewed off, but a receptionist who knows nothing of IT but has been bitching at me about lost revenue for 20 minutes.

If you didn't want down time, YOU SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF REDUNDANCY / FAILOVER NOW SHOULDN'T YOU???

Of course when things are running well there is no praise for the work keeping things running smooth, but when **** hits the fan, it all your fault - Those are the situations of how much I want to succeed in IT vs how much I'd rather live in a van down by the river somewhere in Colorado or Cali.
  • Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    i can relate

i always get bored after 3 months

lol it doesnt mean i mastered the role

i dont know why but i just get bored

does anyone have a clue as to why this happens to me?!

it is not good !
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kalimuscle wrote: »
    i can relate

i always get bored after 3 months

lol it doesnt mean i mastered the role

i dont know why but i just get bored

does anyone have a clue as to why this happens to me?!

it is not good !
    I feel this way as well and its been around 7 months for me in my current role. Looking forward to the responses on why this happens.
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was being laid off with the whole call center so I got myself another job. But after two years, I was getting bored and I honestly didn't have anything to do. I couldn't create work nor help other teams so I was looking at jobs way before we got notified of the layoff.
    Before that I worked as a CSR at a small internet company. I wasn't learning anything new, the boss didn't like me and I was bored so I went back to Russia. I was at that job for about 8 months.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually start getting bored after about 1 year but since starting my current job I met some great people that are very talented and have pushed me to be better. My last job was very stagnant. My manager knew next to nothing about IT and I had no say in anything we did. I thought that this was my career and this was the way it would be until I retire, making the same money doing the same type of things. I only knew of the basic certs like the CompTIA stuff. After meeting my co-workers and learning of this site and all the possibilities I started realizing I can create my own path. After 2 years at my current job I am still not bored. I spend 99% of my free time watching training videos or doing something that will help to promote my career. I work for a very large entity so we are very compartmentalized so I don't have much access to anything outside of what I do so I know some of my skills are becoming rusty. I am job hunting now not because I am bored but more because I want to get back into something that will challenge me. I am also hoping to be rewarded for my hard work on my next job with a nice pay bump. When I started my current job all I had was my B.S. and A+ and Network+ along with a few years of experience.
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    An extremely bad work environment would be one. Another would be looking for a position where I could learn more or pick up new skills. A third reason would be if I wanted to move out of the geographical area I was in and to another.

Money, to me, would never be a reason to look for a new position unless I was earning pay that was too meager to begin with.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are some other reason what would trigger YOU too look for another position?

Better job security, cause like were I work is going to close and be radioactive for the next 500 years.

The opportunity to work on something new, I’d like to get experience on Windows XP, really tired of using Windows 98SE.

Shorter commute, I can work at home sometimes at my current job, but I really want a job I don’t have even get out of bed for. Work in bed, now that’s a commute I can enjoy. The down side is I’m always at work, but might get accused of sleeping on the job.

Opportunity to meet new people, I’m currently searching for an all women IT staff that’s young, single, very relaxed dress code and open, liberal minded. Kinda like the free love movement in the 60’s, but in IT.

Hell, I’ll even move for somewhere new and clean, were I work now the carpets haven’t been replaced in 30 years, move a piece of furniture and you get to see the brown carpets were really light tan at one time. The cube walls aren’t much better. Well at least they fixed the heat just in time for summer, there were some cold days at work. Also the rest rooms have the pleasant urine smell when utilizing them.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »

Better job security, cause like were I work is going to close and be radioactive for the next 500 years.

I literally lost it reading this. I couldn't even get through the rest.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I literally lost it reading this. I couldn't even get through the rest.

Well I do work at a Nuclear Power plant...and I really wasn't kidding about how dirty the place is. I brought a area rug for my cube, just to have something clean in there. After six months there already a very noticeable difference between the carpet under my chair mat and carpet not. Makes me question the air quality, coal mines hell, I'll get black lung from working in IT.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    A few things:
    you aren't enjoying the work anymore,
    the workplace is toxic,
    you aren't growing professionally anymore,
    you want to move location (different town)
    you want to move into a different field (sideways move)
    strategic move for career goals (working for a particular company, or job title, or experience with a particular technology, or knowing that you can then apply for a better position internally)
    other work conditions or benefits
    closer to home/less travel.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NEODREAM wrote: »
    I feel this way as well and its been around 7 months for me in my current role. Looking forward to the responses on why this happens.

Because you're a project oriented person. You need to work different projects and scrums in order to maintain balance. Being Silo'd doesn't work.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Because you're a project oriented person. You need to work different projects and scrums in order to maintain balance. Being Silo'd doesn't work.

omg omg

!!!!

dude so on point °°°

when i do strictly projects im not bored !
  • Options
    Dude !
    You are spot on !
    Whenever I do projects I dont feel bored
    But when i do BAU - I get bored after a month or two.
    Do you have any suggestions?- I know some people might say find a PURE project based role.
    The thing is there arent many purely project based roles and yes I have done roles where it was 80 percent project and 20 percent BAU and I loved them !
    in life and in IT you got to do things you are not good at- that is how you grow -
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I was looking before I was laid off because I didn't feel like I was in a team environment.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You sort of know when it's time for a new job, that may be in 1 year, it may be in 5.

The second you can't account for new, interesting and challenging things in a 1 month period (ok, ok, 6 - max) and it all was "just work", that's when you know it's time to move on.

EDIT:: It's a personal thing everyone, relax. You can also study books, practice in labs and watch some videos/podcasts.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had left mine as I felt i was underpaid and was doing three people jobs when others in my team were not good team players. Management acknowledged that I was the best and brightest but could not do anything as my managers hands were tied and the seniors managers were not well qualified and did not know a thing about security.

Glad i made a move and happy with the new job. With the old one got to know just for my position they had replaced it with three.

One thing with the move I have learnt is I had the passion for the job and was really doing well and learning new technologies and Products but learning is not the only thing if we are not paid well then it would be good to get out of the comfort zone and out to another role.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aside from being underpaid, my reasons included (among others):

-increasing stress levels (started to affect family relationships)
    -non-progressive leadership
    -crazy hours, 24/7 on-call
    -culture of impunity, widespread cronyism
    -no employee recognition, terrible new hires (some bloke with "20 years of IT experience" who didn't even know what the OSI layers were - I was explaining one of our security layers to him, took 2 MONTHS to build one server, needed help in installing ONE workstation, etc.)
    -others...

I better stop it's starting to sound like a rant lol
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For me, the 2+ hour commute each way. Don't know why I did it for 4 years.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My last job had officially received "dead end" status. I found myself doing the same thing with occasional new tasks added year after year with not much increase in pay. State gubment jobs typically don't get too much in the way of merit increases. I also saw my boss hiring new people around me for more money. So I left for a new job, still in gubment, for a lot more money, a great boss who keeps me challenged, and a great agency.
  • Options
    Good points about repeating the same task, week over week, month over month. That most certainly can be a HUGE drag.