Options

What other reason cause you too look for a new job (other than cash)?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    We all need vans down by the river is my vote! (Separate vans)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I moved to get rid of oncall, because of bosses who were incompetent/micromanagers dismissive, boredom, to grow more skills
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    darkerz wrote: »
    You sort of know when it's time for a new job, that may be in 1 year, it may be in 5.

The second you can't account for new, interesting and challenging things in a 1 month period (ok, ok, 2
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    Darkerz

I am guessing that you are a PROFESSIONAL job hopper?
    You sort of know when it's time for a new job, that may be in 1 year, it may be in 5.

The second you can't account for new, interesting and challenging things in a 1 month period (ok, ok, 2
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can relate to this.

I just left a job of 5 years just 2 weeks ago. I progressed through the ranks of different positions but my last role sent me packing (on my own accord)

I left because:

1.) I was severely underpaid and never given the minimum title of the job role as defined by HR (promised a promotion of taking on this role however I never received compensation of any level)

2.) My tech skills were beginning to dwindle as I found myself needing to use them less and less each day. We started taking on more and more very simple tasks that should have gone to lower tech tiers to implement. This was due to a giant distrust from mgmt as they only would allow for the top technical team to do such tasks. This created a giant burden on workflow and caused many of us to be absorbed into simple tasks we should have never been involved with. Management basically refused to use the tiered support model to the extent it was created for.

3.) I was the main guy doing the majority of the work. 3 hires brought in from the outside (never even met face-to-face in the interview process) given the job to ultimately set them up for failure. This caused a serious backlash on my team / me to constantly be doing their jobs for them and not really have adequate time to give them the 1:1 mentoring they deserved to get up to speed properly.

4.) Mgmt completely refused to hold people accountable for their insubordinate actions. Had these 2 guys that would take 3-4hr lunch breaks and never anything said to them. So they continue to abuse this and steal company time and became insanely lazy.

5.) No mentor-ship opportunities for me. Where there should have been (guy who took 4hr lunch breaks) he was too lazy to do anything and I ended up taking on most of his work.

6.) I worked in a silo'd environment that I was already growing out of quickly and finding the day-to-day job very simple and not challenging. (only real challenge was having the extra workload of 3-4 people + my own and try to keep my head above water). I never got the opportunity to delve into other networking elements (I was basically a core Route / Switch troubleshooting guy and couldn't stray into any other network tech).

7.) Terrible training opportunities

So... In a job I look for these key items to keep me happy:

1.) Challenge (learning of new things)
    2.) Fair Compensation
    3.) Mentorships
    4.) Training Opportunities
    5.) Work / Life Balance
    6.) Pleasant work environment
    7.) Appreciation / Recognition of work efforts.

So far with the new gig I have been able to check off all 7 items on my desire list for a job.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Reasons to leave:

1. Bad working environment.
    2. Lack of descent pay raise.
    3. Lack of challenge.
    4. New opportunities.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I have to buy Carl Jr. for the team lunch everyday, it may be time to move on...
  • Options
    CiscoASA2202CiscoASA2202 Member Posts: 51 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ira.a wrote: »
    Reasons to leave a job...
    • Toxic Culture
    • Poor Leadership
    • Lack of upward mobility

One of the problems I see if you bring up any of these reasons during a possible job move to another company, they won't hire you. These are things that are usually private and not spoken of
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    One of the problems I see if you bring up any of these reasons during a possible job move to another company, they won't hire you. These are things that are usually private and not spoken of

I think it's a matter of shooting yourself in the foot if you bring up any negatives of why you left a job. Probably best to always try to keep it more to positives - growth - learning - future.
  • Options

The second you can't account for new, interesting and challenging things in a 1 month period (ok, ok, 2 - max) and it all was "just work", that's when you know it's time to move on.

Again, horrible career advice - Darkerz ( MR Job Hopper)
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Temperature. My job right now is so ******* cold and outside of that, it is a decent place. BUT SO COLD. I HATE IT I MUST LEAVE
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The fact that I knew there wasn't anything else to learn and the longer I stayed the more it would hurt me.
  • Options
    Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My job is not challenging, boring, and not headed in the direction I want so I'm going to be looking for something else once my CISSP goes through
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kalimuscle wrote: »
    Again, horrible career advice - Darkerz ( MR Job Hopper)

Man, you really hate job hoppers. Did a job hopper beat you up and steal your lunch money or something? ;)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Woah, this is so strange. I've never had virtual enemies on a education forum.

Nice! I'll entertain it. Amusing.

I'm guessing "kalimuscle" read my post, got jealous of my HCOL compensation.... and doesn't understand the difference between "I'm a contractor, when my 6 months is up, I get another one - or I starve" and FTE. I've been at the same company for over 4 years now between being a contractor and a FTE.

However, "Never Get Comfortable" is great advice. How you do that is your call, High-Risk can have High-Reward. My method was a forced situation... For a few years, the only available opportunities were contracting. Got bill's to pay and mouths to feed!
    :twisted:
  • Options
    @kalimuscle mate you need to chill out

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    @kalimuscle mate you need to chill out

Yeah :) He is not worth it - I deleted my post - I do not want to offend him :) I am such a nice guy
  • Options
    kalimuscle wrote: »
    Yeah :) He is not worth it - I deleted my post - I do not want to offend him :) I am such a nice guy

and that's not nice thing to say either, we are discussing career issues in an IT certification forum, it's not the end of the world. How long have you been in the industry? there are so many experienced people here, we can all learn something

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I think it's a matter of shooting yourself in the foot if you bring up any negatives of why you left a job. Probably best to always try to keep it more to positives - growth - learning - future.

Yeah, not always great things to bring up in interviews (people don't like talking about bad stuff), but the reality is that for most people unless the next opportunity is really, really good, people aren't going to move unless there's something wrong with their current job. It's more push than pull. Better the devil you know, not many people actually enjoy looking for work etc.

So, yeah, do like you suggest and don't use the negatives - just say the opposite. So instead of "I hated the micromanaging culture at the old job" to "I'm looking for a role where I can self start and lead" or something. Or if the commute is killing you "I'm looking for a role where I can contribute more to my local community".
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□

100% agree.

I loved My first IT job (out of school). Great Job, Great People, Great Learning.
    I was a noob in every possible way.
    i never took days off, i'd come in on weekends, and i remember my boss once had to send me home (because i came to work sick/with a Cold).
    I could have seen myself working there 10-20 years, etc.
    too bad i only lasted 3 years before all our jobs were outsourced to Bangalore.
    lol

i forget where i was going with this.
    But, yeah, you kind of "just know" when it's time to move on.
    As long as you are happy & learning, then everything is great.
    But once the happiness goes (or the learning)... it's okay to listen to your heart.

And it's also okay to be nervous/scared about making a change :]

~As for what to say when an interviewer asks "why you left" the last job:
    i usually tell them: my previous employer kinda over-stated/lied about all the projects they had in the pipeline.
    So in the end, my job never became the job that they "claimed" it was supposed to be.

In my case... it's generally untrue.
    lol
    but it still sounds good :]
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    1. When I'm not challenged enough.
    2. My boss is an ass hat and my work environment starts to suck.
    3. The skills I have are worth more than what they are giving me.

You're life / time is priceless. Use it wisely!
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in a 150 person company the CEO and CTO both were founders got the axe. Then the CMO a few directors 10 people from the sales team and a few more Analyst all in one month. so i was like yep time to fly
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most of my IT jobs over the last 20 years, I've left to pursue a job with more responsibility and more pay. Only in one situation was an outsource contract ended, so I was in jeopardy of being laid off. All the other moves - about 4 or 5 - were mostly to a job that would utilize the skillset I would gain from more education, certs, or work experience.

While "most" is the operative word, I did leave my last job because my boss was an "ass hat" of the highest degree. And he still is to the people that still work there, although about 25% of a department of 20 left over about two months due to his ass-hattery. I would have taken a cut in pay to leave there - after 8 years there I had figured I'd stay until retirement.

I think it's important to not ever get too comfy. Even if you plan on staying somewhere for decades, anything can change. If you keep yourself educated, certified, and experienced you maximize your job skills. Keep your lifestyle modest, so you aren't trapped in a job for the salary. I don't have a family, and never will, so that also helps keep me from getting trapped. The more flexible you are, the more skills you have, the more financial hits you can take, the easier it is to tell an employer "See ya" when it gets bad.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am looking for more responsibility, opportunity to work with new technologies, and of course, more money. I really have nothing negative to say about my current job other than I feel I have done all there is to do and no chance of anything different.