Options

Rat race

Comments

• Options
    Press ANY KeyPress ANY Key Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I currently work 12 hours a day. Any time I think of complaining, I just look at my nice pay check and think about the hundreds of millions of less fortunate people around the world that would love to be in my position. There are people in this world who only make about $5 a day.

In other words, I don't think of it as a rat race but more like an opportunity. As a person who has been unemployed before, I will enjoy everything that I have now.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In other words, I don't think of it as a rat race but more like an opportunity. As a person who has been unemployed before, I will enjoy everything that I have now.

Exactly! People don't have to work, get money, and buy things from other people. You can go live in the woods somewhere and probably be just fine (Well sort of). If you want services and goods from other people you need to provide your own though.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    . And if you're a simple kind of man and do not want a house on the water with a boat and a truck to pull it, God bless ya!

that's me. God bless me
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    ITat33 wrote: »
    I'm already at six figures and I'm actually under 30

Been stressed out lately, things are failing at work and not really due to me doing things wrong

Also, regarding vacation in case anyone is reading, I feel it really is time to think about that

My company wont really sign off on a vacation/pto for another 3 months so with due time I guess

I just need to be patient right now

That's good, your job (or your next job) aim for a little it bit more relaxed role or so and enjoy the rest of your day after work, and save. You should have a comfortable life

• Options
    ITat33ITat33 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    That's good, your job (or your next job) aim for a little it bit more relaxed role or so and enjoy the rest of your day after work, and save. You should have a comfortable life

Might be an option, I've already thought about leaving for a role which pays less but I had more fun with less responsibilities. I'm in a role of a lifetime right now however as most of us know at the CCIE/CCDP level what is expected is very high and I actually enjoyed life a little more when I was a tier2...

Have considered taking a pay cut and stepping down, or ride out this odd wave of life and continue on this journey. I'm actually under 30 right now so I do have plenty of time.

Regards,

ITat33
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,047 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm definitely in the minority here, but...

it sounds like your present course is unsustainable.
    (meaning: burnout)

If you've been able to bank some decent cheddar; Great.
    If you've been able to learn high-level skills; Even Better.

Take a moment and figure out/remember what your long-term goal is.
    WHat do you want? What don't you want?
    (Stability? Low stress? Travel? Consulting? Vacation time? etc)

It sounds like your job is a great opportunity; but don't be trapped by it.
    If you have bigger goals; stay true to them.

Go home, and pull out that Calendar.
    Study it Long and HArd.

Figure out an Exit Date (from your current employer).
    It could be Next Week; Next Year; or Next Decade.

But just know what your "bigger goal" is.... and then focus on working towards that Exit Date :]
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    100k in IT isn't that much..........

Our .net devs are making over a 100,000 year 3 out of the University at age 25. At 29 - 30 they are architects, managers, some even directors. With bonus they can get up over 250,000 k.
  • Options
    Might be an option, I've already thought about leaving for a role which pays less but I had more fun with less responsibilities. I'm in a role of a lifetime right now however as most of us know at the CCIE/CCDP level what is expected is very high and I actually enjoyed life a little more when I was a tier2...

Have considered taking a pay cut and stepping down, or ride out this odd wave of life and continue on this journey. I'm actually under 30 right now so I do have plenty of time.

Regards,

ITat33

Be careful with paycut..I took one and wasn't happy; specially with they hired less experienced/knowledgeable(i.e. clowns) with more pay than me and it got weird.

I think you can enjoy moving up and seeing new opportunities...save money, you never know what you will need it for...maybe you want to explore new things, so having those savings help a lot

• Options
    100k in IT isn't that much..........

Our .net devs are making over a 100,000 year 3 out of the University at age 25. At 29 - 30 they are architects, managers, some even directors. With bonus they can get up over 250,000 k.

I must be doing something wrong then icon_sad.gif

• Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm just a lowly tier 1 25 year old guy making $42k. I need to step my game up.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not everyone gets to become a developer. Those who usually start at the operations level tend to be more technical incline and continue the path to higher tech inclined roles. Those who are more inclined in math and programming become developers, of course if you continue that path at the age of 30-40 you wilk be making 250k. That role is not for everyone. Just as a professor at the university makes more than the kindergardem teacher.
    Point is you cant compare jobs and though numbers around and expecting those salary numbers to fit in the different IT roles.
  • Options
    I must be doing something wrong then icon_sad.gif

Sounds like you took a pay cut. You'll never make more money using this strategy.

Even in toxic environments, <cough cough> my last job, I held out for at least a 10% increase......

In a year or 2 or 3, I'll be looking for another 10 - 20% increase and hopefully a much larger bonus.
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Not everyone gets to become a developer. Those who usually start at the operations level tend to be more technical incline and continue the path to higher tech inclined roles. Those who are more inclined in math and programming become developers, of course if you continue that path at the age of 30-40 you wilk be making 250k. That role is not for everyone. Just as a professor at the university makes more than the kindergardem teacher.
    Point is you cant compare jobs and though numbers around and expecting those salary numbers to fit in the different IT roles.

I agree it's not for everyone, we let go of ETL and .Net devs all the time if they can't pick it up in ~4 months (That seems to be the "grace" period). Certifications, really don't help in this space, it really does come down to working memory and aptitude.

Almost forget, the most important element. The give a crap factor.
  • Options
    @DatabaseHead: True I did, that's going to change soon

Funny my first interview fresh out of uni was for development role since I had a lot of uni classes in programming and was good at it...I rejected that and wanted to do ops...I didn't know I guess...

• Options
    @DatabaseHead: True I did, that's going to change soon

Funny my first interview fresh out of uni was for development role since I had a lot of uni classes in programming and was good at it...I rejected that and wanted to do ops...I didn't know I guess...

Totally out of turn but I am going to say it

You should go for an Architect role. You would do good at that from my perspective. You have a lot of the Unix/Linux system knowledge with some other pieces to go with that.

TOGAF or SOA and then Architecture position. Just saying......
  • Options
    Totally out of turn but I am going to say it

You should go for an Architect role. You would do good at that from my perspective. You have a lot of the Unix/Linux system knowledge with some other pieces to go with that.

TOGAF or SOA and then Architecture position. Just saying......

yes you are right, and I'm trying to get into that as well. I know I can handle that, I'm also good at sales (good communication skills/people skills etc)...so I might just move to pre-sales architecture. Given a first chance is not easy, but I know I can do it.

There is also a lot of money to be made in Security once you go a bit deeper and can tackle big problems...so there is more than one path.

PS: I'm going to post some good news soon (fingers crossed icon_thumright.gif )

• Options
    Absolutely not, but...... Once you pull it off it's easy street.

A lot of guys I went to school with hold these type of roles or some variant. It's the same story over and over again, the first year or 2 it's a rough go and after that it's easy street.

A very close friend of mine does this type of work and he works from home 100%, unless training or traveling to a client. I remember having to talk him off the ledge weekly during that time frame and now he is a different person. Completely changed.......

It's an investment, kill yourself for the now to reap the rewards later.

PS He worked for AT&T for a number of years which is Java / SOA shop. That and being bilingual really helped elevate him into his first solutions position. He went from 86,000 with a 5% bonus to ~155,000 with a 55% bonus with a max on 110% with double bonus. It's pretty silly how much he makes, he makes so much more than me that he offers to pay every time, of course I only take him up on it ~20% of then time.
  • Options
    Eightn9neEightn9ne Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    The moment you start doing something just because of the money, is the moment you start wasting your time. So dont do it because of the money, do it because you like it and enjoy spending time in IT. Yes it is true that companies can find good engineers, but can they find someone that will also fit their corporate culture?

I couldn't agree more with this statement 'the moment you start doing something just because of the money, is the moment you start wasting your time'.
    volfkhat wrote: »
    100% with you regarding the "rat race".

What's the point of owning Big houses & Fancy cars...
    if you can't afford to take a day off?
    If you're always worried about the Ax?
    If you're always putting in 40+ hours a week?
    If the workplace expectations aretaking a toll on your health?

/shrug

I've always said this sh!t to people and I'm fortunate that my wife agrees with me.

I've always had mates that ask me why don't I leave and go else where and make more $$$ else where but I'm at the point where I've got work/life balance. I always say, if I'm making enough to pay for a mortgage whilst saving on the side and I'm happy with where I work, then why leave if I'm happy?

Missus and I aren't materialistic so we don't want/need fancy sh!t. What's even the point if you're slaving away working crazy hours.
  • Options
    nole07nole07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Exactly! People don't have to work, get money, and buy things from other people. You can go live in the woods somewhere and probably be just fine (Well sort of). If you want services and goods from other people you need to provide your own though.

This. When I first started working i had a co-worker who always bought the latest toys (four wheelers, etc.) and he would always tell me

"We work to buy the things we want, not what we need. If i wanted to just get by in this life, i'd just go get on "disability" and collect a check"

This has always stuck with me, especially when i'm torn between splurging on something i really want to buy. lol
  • Options
    nole07nole07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh and

"Anytime you have a chance to buy some land, do it. It's the one thing they don't make anymore"

lol
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    byron66 wrote: »
    I'm just a lowly tier 1 25 year old guy making $42k. I need to step my game up.

Moving out of Tennessee is probably the first step LOL. Nashville is lit though icon_thumright.gif

Experience is really what gets the money. I'm only 25 too. If someone had my job that was 32, I bet they would be making 120k sitting at my exact seat. Even if they had the same exact knowledge, companies like rewarding experience. Hard to just hand 6 figures over to some kid, can't really blame them I guess.
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just been thinking recently

Really enjoy my job, this is something that I'm good at but from the way I see it most companies can find an engineer anywhere so being good isn't a big deal these days.

I also have been promoted before, have tons of certs/experience and enjoy my work but been having a rough week

You guys never feel like you're wasting your youth to purpose wealth with no real reward?

Its just money you know, and either way I might need a vacation :)

I'm fond of paraphasing the Dali Lama who said something like, "Man is a curious creature. He spends his life pursuing wealth at the expense of his health. then, in his last years, he spends all his wealth trying to regain his health."
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    ........ I never want to be in the situation I was in 2013 again, 20 years IT experience but no marketable certification's. I was forced to take a low paying contracting job with no benefits before unemployment ran out.......

Wow! Your situation mirrors mine! 20 years IT, and 2013 when I was laid off too! (I think we even got the GCIH certs about the same time too!) March 2013 - Got called into my boss's office and there was his boss and I knew nothing good would come of it. Then, the Director of Security jumped out from behind the door and yelled "Boo!". After that meeting, I was nice and thanked them for the opportunity. They gave me two weeks severence. I still came into the office the next two weeks as there were projects to tie up that I didn't want to go to pot. It was 1 year and 1 month before I got another job and I credit that with taking time to get the Sec+ and GSLC certs. Overall about 10 other people had to be let go that same day. The Director of Security resigned the next day.

A colleague in my dept (ex-FBI guy) was let go the same day. He took the severence and just left that day.
  • Options
    Shore house on the water in LBI here in NJ will run you at least $800k. .....
    I wonder how people afford this things. I assume they have "old money" or are financial advisors/big time lawyers probably. Our governor shut down state parks this weekend and his family had the beach to themselves, so maybe I should ask him.

My financial advisor made it from broker when I first did business with him to VP at the finance company he's been working at in about 10 years. 5 years ago he bought a house in a neighborhood I know to have $1.5 to $2 Million dollar homes. He's built quit a portfolio of clients and never really did any hard selling (at least not with the peanuts I was squirreling away). Maybe I'm in the wrong business!
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    For me getting out of the Rat Race was getting to my first Network Engineering job. I pushed very hard to get to that point from fast food, to retail jobs, and up through IT.

Personally I think the Rat Race is getting to where you are doing what you want to. According to Rich Dad and alot of people its getting to a self sustaining income so that don't have to do traditional work. I however would still be doing what I'm doing if I won the lottery.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't forget to sock away and invest as much as you can with your earned income. If you're making $100k and spending $100k a year on "things", what's the point if you truly want to have the CHOICE to get out of the rat race?

I think a lot of us forget that. How many of us could stop working for 1-3 years with no income and still live the same lifestyle that you have today? Buy the toys and nice things after you become financially free, not before. I learned that the hard way.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    stlsmoore wrote: »
    Don't forget to sock away and invest as much as you can with your earned income. If you're making $100k and spending $100k a year on "things", what's the point if you truly want to have the CHOICE to get out of the rat race?

I think a lot of us forget that. How many of us could stop working for 1-3 years with no income and still live the same lifestyle that you have today? Buy the toys and nice things after you become financially free, not before. I learned that the hard way.

That 1-3 years may not always be by choice. Always have a backup plan. I know to get a similar paying job in my immediate area, within a 30 min drive would take 6 months to a year or more. I don't even a high income, it's just that most Tech jobs around here pay 14-20/hr.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tackle wrote: »
    I know to get a similar paying job in my immediate area, within a 30 min drive would take 6 months to a year or more. I don't even a high income, it's just that most Tech jobs around here pay 14-20/hr.

As someone living in Minnesota, I'd say you must be really living in the middle of nowhere to for that to be true. So many jobs out there right now... A few years back I quit my job without having another one lined up just because there are so many. I'm not even talking about jobs in or near downtown Minneapolis, I refuse to deal with traffic. (ended up getting 3 job offers within a month)
  • Options
    ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sure this post might be removed; however, I just wanted to ask since I've been lurking/reading quietly behind the scens

What do you think about the rat race and your position in this field?

Interesting that this thread came up this is exactly how I feel. Each year gets progressively worse, than the last. I dread Sundays and struggle during the weekday. The early mornings, the commute, the fatigue, politics, etc. When I started I was enthusiastic and eager now I feel like a number in a cubie. I've still trying to find my motivation in life.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Chevel wrote: »
    Interesting that this thread came up this is exactly how I feel. Each year gets progressively worse, than the last. I dread Sundays and struggle during the weekday. The early mornings, the commute, the fatigue, politics, etc. When I started I was enthusiastic and eager now I feel like a number in a cubie. I've still trying to find my motivation in life.
    Aww man! I am sorry to read that. Is there a chance that you can change jobs? A good way to inspire you is to buy a Peloton bike. Wow, it has motivated me to the nth degree!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....