Options

Unprofessional interview?

2»

Comments

• Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bpenn wrote: »
    Well, guy called me and wanted to reschedule it to lunch (haha, go figure). Had lunch with him yesterday and it went great. Awesome guy and he told me he was extremely impressed with my technical ability. I have a final interview with the CEO on Monday and CTO said to expect an offer letter so hopefully it works out!

Haha! Great update. But wow, an interview with the CTO and now the CEO, is this a director / senior exec. level position?
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    bgold87 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a big deal. Drink slow, no more than two drinks, let him talk. OR........order round after round of Fireball shots and see what the old guys got lol

Signed the offer letter this morning. 35% pay increase and fantastic experience which will be a great progression point. For the record, I didnt think the interview was so much unprofessional than I thought it was unorthodox, but hey, we did lunch instead and it worked out great!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    congrats!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Thats a good move and good increase. Can you provide what the salary is and what the position title is? I'm thinking I might explore FL at some point.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats OP! Glad everything went smoothly for you! Good increase too!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow that's great! Congrats!
  • Options
    certnoobcertnoob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a bit traditional when it comes to interviews, but that actually sounds really good. If you've had the phone interview, maybe he's thinking of hiring you but wants to see if you can get along on a personal level as well. After all, it's an important part of being a team, so I get it. Go have the drinks, go have fun and relax and see how it goes. Like other people said, if he does a line off of the steering wheel before getting out of the car that might throw a few red flags :D Otherwise, I think he wants to get past the stuffy suit-and-tie part and get to the "you" part.

EDIT: Whoops, I just read the rest of the conversation. Congrats to you!
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Congrats! Drinks on You!

haha, nice update OP.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I've heard meeting for someone for drinks to discuss business before, but never an interview. I recall from the GCIH MP3's John Stand had drinks with a new fellow co-worker and the co-worker told him he did bad stuff at his last company never would have learned about him under normal interview conditions. Perhaps it a way to get you to let your guard down and interview you then. If it was me, I'd go, but only have one drink, and soda the rest of the time.

I was going to mention this as well !!!

Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't say it is inappropriate, some companies are smaller and closer, some companies focus more on your personality (Soft Skills) Versus Technical. I would accept and have a few drinks, stay guarded, but read their personality, because this person is going to read yours, they want to know your personality fits their environment, and shows you weather you think its a fit as well. Most Manager interviews are normally about personality and team fit.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    manchildmanchild Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice! Congrats on the new position!
  • Options
    LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    35% is a big jump in pay! Glad it worked out OP. Congrats! :)