Options

Possible first InfoSec job

alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
I recently started being more serious about getting a full-time infosec gig and found a pretty decent job posting for what appears to be a really decent company. From what I can tell, I am at the last stage of their hiring process and would like to get some thoughts from TE members on what I might expect.

To give a little background:
I submitted my resume online, and got a response about three days later. I was contacted by an internal recruiter/HR person who then proceeded to get me setup with their initial security assessment. The initial assessment impressed them as I got 100% correct on it(they have actually mentioned that multiple times in different conversations). Once that was completed, I moved on to lunch with a potential future co-worker, where they told me about the company, their values, and their culture. Lunch lasted about an hour and a half. From there, I was setup for a technical interview that took about 30 minutes to go through and I was contacted later that same day by their HR person to setup a longer interview with multiple people. They also discussed pay and benis.

At this point, it feels like it is my job to lose but I don't want to sound over-confident. Both the tech interview and the assessment went pretty smooth. However, I am now looking towards a multi-person interview that is scheduled to take around 2 1/2 hours.

I have never had an interview like this before, should I be worried? Is this the stage were they just want to make sure I'm not full of hot air and not an a-hole or is this were they bring out the big guns?

Another thing I am unsure of is what to wear. I know this sounds dumb but during my initial lunch meeting, I wore business casual but noticed the company dress code was way casual(jeans, t-shirts, sandals etc.). Should I wear BC for the next round or dress to match the culture?

I appreciate any experiences, comments, or advice, Thanks.
“I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wear a suit, you are going to meet multiple people. You don't know who those people will be.
    Since you have already had the intro interview and lunch and technical interview and assessment and they still pursuing you that leads me to believe that you are the only candidate left if they want you to meet multiple people in 4 hours. I don't know what company this is but from my experience when I had those type of interviews they were the last interview with the CISO or VP type level or director's and co-workers. Basically this will be the interview were the rest of these people will see if you match their culture. Most likely will not be another technical interview but a culture fit interview.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree that it's probably a culture fit if they already ran you through a tech assessment and had you meet coworkers. Speaking of matching culture, I'd go light business casual if everyone else is super casual. They want to see if you fit, if they're all wearing shorts and flip flops it's obviously a very dress down environment. If I already pointed out that everyone was casual at the first interview and you showed up in a full suit at the next interview I'd assume you couldn't take the hint.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should always wear a suit to interviews no matter what. Just because they may be dressed down doesn't mean you should. You can always remove your jacket. I would hate to be wearing business casual and the CEO and/or CIO walk in for a formal greeting.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Suit...good luck.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    It's funny, I just bounced the question to a few long time business folks around me, and they all said, "dress one level above" so if they're very casual, go business casual, a suit just means you didn't understand their workplace.
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    It's funny, I just bounced the question to a few long time business folks around me, and they all said, "dress one level above" so if they're very casual, go business casual, a suit just means you didn't understand their workplace.

Dressing one level above the person in the interview doesn't account for the next person who walks into the room. A suit is always appropriate in an interview session. Having gotten to this point, you are not going to be eliminated because you wore a suit to the interview.

If it seems to be that big of an issue once you are there, you can always take the tie off, and undo the top button. More than a few suits have made it through happy hour and well into the night that way.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have never worn a suit for an IT interview, always business casual and don't think it is necessary. Overdressing for an IT job is kinda overkill IMO.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    I disagree. You are there to impress and to stand out.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Here we go!

I used to work for a SaaS company where half the company wore flip flops and "epic fail" t-shirts. For some reason the expectation for interviews was still a suit. The safest bet is to either ask before you show up or default to a suit. Simple.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Always wear a suit. You can remove layers but cannot add them. I better have them tell me at the interview that i shouldn't have, than not wear one and the feel uncomfortable the entire 4 hours meeting with 4 vps and making them think you just got out of college.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't own a suit anymore but wearing a tie should get me almost there. The big concern was if perceived culture fit is influenced by choice of attire and I think the general consensus is don't be too casual as dressing up a bit isn't necessarily a negative.
  • Options
    and no flip flops.
  • Options
    LA2LA2 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Always Always Always wear a suit to an interview. Recently had an interview for a company where everyone is wearing T-shirts and sneakers. The interviewer told me that they know a candidate is serious for the position when they wear suits.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To add to my comment...

I was actually on an interview panel once and one of the candidates had a tie on with these small circular shapes in a pattern on it with a solid background color, but when you looked closely the little circles were actually Imperial crest logos from Star Wars. Totally didn't realize it until I looked closer, but it was still a professional looking tie.

You can incorporate things like that to show your personality, while still appearing professional overall. That guy was hired btw.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless they tell me otherwise, I'm wearing slacks, dress shirt, and a tie. I can't see anyone looking down on you for doing that.

Now I've had some places tell me they are a casual environment so dress casual in the interview. If you wear a suit at that point, then I think it'd look a bit poorly on you, but otherwise just wear the suit.
  • Options
    I appreciate everyone taking time to add comments. I received the confirmation email today and in it, they had clear dress code instructions. Business casual, specifically stating don't wear a suit.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It's a trick. Wear the suit anyway.

I KID I KID!! Best of luck.
  • Options
    just no shorts and flip flops.
  • Options
    I made it through that part and have one more step to go before an offer. I'll keep everyone posted.
  • Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice dude! 4hrs seems like quite a stretch for it to be a non-technical interview. Glad it worked out for you.
  • Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Wear a suit, show some class.

If you show up without a jacket, I assume you came from a lower-income family. (there isn't anything wrong with that)

If you show up without a tie, I assume you don't want the job.

If you show up in shorts and sandals, you won't be allowed into the building. (there is something wrong with that, even in Hawai'i)
  • Options
    BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What's the role?
  • Options
    @labscloud I updated the interview time in my OP since the actual was only 2 1/2. There were some technical questions thrown in but mostly it was chatting about stuff. Honestly, your bound to get technical anyway if you have more then one nerd in the room so overall, I'm glad I did well enough to move on.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had an interview last summer where most people were wearing shorts and t-shirts. It was a Friday so maybe it was dress down day...lol. The interview was about 4 or 5 hours long and I met with 6 or 7 people in that time. I was wearing a suit and tie but my interviewers were wearing jeans and t-shirts with ball caps.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While I usually espouse wearing a suit, I have found that most employers really like to be asked what to wear. Seriously. I've spoken to dozens of hiring managers and people who have been hired on at various local companies. Every single one said that asking what to wear during the phone interview (or via email if that is the primary communications channel) made a great positive impression. Just something to think about.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Wear a suit, show some class.

If you show up without a jacket, I assume you came from a lower-income family. (there isn't anything wrong with that)

If you show up without a tie, I assume you don't want the job.

If you show up in shorts and sandals, you won't be allowed into the building. (there is something wrong with that, even in Hawai'i)
    Read the whole thread, they emailed him and specifically asked him not to wear a suit. "show some class" would just show that they can't follow instructions.
  • Options
    I'd still wear something presentable.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd still wear something presentable.

Regardless of whether jeans and a t-shirt or a three-piece zoot suit is expected, scaredoftests is absolutely right. I would recommend that you iron the clothing (yes, even on a t-shirt), make sure that they are stain-free, and if the shirt has a logo or saying on it that it is in good taste (if you wouldn't expect your mom to wear it, then you probably shouldn't).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Still nothing back after the last interview yet. I also have another interview tomorrow with a different company so things are still cooking I guess.
  • Options
    Got an offer from the first company, which I am accepting. One last bit to negotiate about base pay and I'm good. Initial offer was lower than my current base so I countered with my current salary. I'm switching from IT to Sec and they also have some other nice perks. If they don't agree, I will still take it since I think I can make it up over the long run.