Options

Removed

m4v3r1ckm4v3r1ck Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
edited November 2018 in Other Security Certifications
Removed

Comments

• Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Find the lab book syllabus and start researching each chapter now. The actual pdf and videos you receive with the course won't teach you anything. It's garbage.

All of the real learning happens in the lab, by yourself.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    m4v3r1ck wrote: »
    I managed to accomplish that. I also managed to get a limited shell on Alice. I happened to remember the exploit from a course I watched on Cybrary.

Do you remember the course name?
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am going through the same course on Cybrary, however I am skipping the winxp exercises and the windows based tools, do you think that I should go back and do them or will the newer windows 7 exploits and Linux tools be enough for the OSCP
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Finally, I think it's good to mention that I have full support from my girlfriend. I briefed her on the course and the hours required before I purchased it. She's as fully committed as I am. Maybe she's secretly going to enjoy the alone time, who knows!
    "So if you get this, you'll then be making six figures? (Damn this diamond is gonna be huge!) Whatever you need, I got you babe!"
  • Options
    You should write a small post exploit looting script. I have found it to be extremely helpful to make sure I didn't forget anything. Even if you just write down the things to grab and check them off individually, it's still better than just wandering around the box hoping to hit stuff.

Alice is everybody's first, lol.

If you popped her, you'll already know your next two victims.
    If you don't know what I'm talking about, go back and check your enumeration notes.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are several XP machines in the lab that I've discovered already. I wouldn't skip anything. Pay close attention to her Meteasploit section as well, but learn how to also execute the same exploit without using Metasploit.
    Thanks, I will go back to the xp sections after finishing the course.
  • Options
    The second exercise to finish buffer overflows is no joke. I thought it was the second hardest exercise behind the LFI RFI exercises.

If you write down each step in buffer overflows and follow them one at a time, it won't be so overwhelming. Just focus on the step in front of you and worry about the rest after that.

Write out an enumeration check list too. I made one and used it for every single box.
  • Options
    technobrotechnobro Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sup M4v

Nice to read your post. I am also stating this month.
    Send you an invite.

looking forward to fallow your journey. GL
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck! I like the rolling totals on time spent and progress and such. That sort of organization tickles my deeper happiness regions. :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    Interesting... i guess they expect you to already know msf pth . or they want you to learn on your one , or perhaps its just absurd and not in the right order.

any idea why i cant send you pm . or even check my own

technobro, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
  • Options
    katawiakatawia Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    technobro wrote: »
    Interesting... i guess they expect you to already know msf pth . or they want you to learn on your one , or perhaps its just absurd and not in the right order.

any idea why i cant send you pm . or even check my own

technobro, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

@technobro,
    You gotta do more posting and your request/requirements will auto-magically appear...in short just post and see around 8-10 or so
  • Options
    thx . sorry M4v for the hijack there
  • Options
    77777777777777 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck to you. I start my course next week. I would like to have the same dedication you have to the course. If you wanted a study-buddy let me know. :)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Awesome work m4v3r1ck! I'm following your thread closely as I start the course on September 30th.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting thread to follow :)

Good luck.
  • Options
    hal9k2hal9k2 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The exciting thing was that I have still been able to craft all of my own exploits manually.

What are your sources to get more info about exploit writing?
  • Options
    Nice read. are u sure the poping your own box have anything to do whit apache ? you seems convince ... ?
    the reason i ask is i always use apache .... i cant agree more the IDE ... so andy

i many case if possible i input as file.txt and write on the server as php.
    just so it dont execute in ur own browser.
    and then browse the destination... executing it on the remote srv

Way to go , keep it up
  • Options
    vynxvynx Member Posts: 153 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Find the lab book syllabus and start researching each chapter now. The actual pdf and videos you receive with the course won't teach you anything. It's garbage.

i think pdf and videos is fishing rod, the rest how to get the fish, is really depends on man behind the gun :)
    really need a lot of practice
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    vynx wrote: »
    i think pdf and videos is fishing rod, the rest how to get the fish, is really depends on man behind the gun :)
    really need a lot of practice

A man using a fishing rod as a gun to catch fish needs all the help he can get.
  • Options
    sure Sir.... definetely agree with that
  • Options
    agree with your statistics method :)
  • Options
    HornswogglerHornswoggler Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BEAST!! Keep up the great work! I started a month ago and just finishing up the exercises.. Props to your dedication and focus! I'm sure we've crossed paths in the slack channel.
    2018: Linux+, eWPT/GWAPT
  • Options
    Yep! I'm on there as cmizeur. I'm slow as a turtle but managed to root sufferance this weekend. :)
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done on your progress so far OP. Got to say, this looks like the most fun and satisfying cert out there.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    I predict you'll crush the exam. When you taking it?
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, are you able to lab at work? 14 hours is a long time haha
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    ottucsakottucsak Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great progress, you are a real inspiration!
  • Options
    I'm shooting for November 13th but might move it forward if I have good progress in the labs.
  • Options
    KhohezionKhohezion Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are amazing man. I tried the OSCP a while back and get burned so hard. Please keep updating this thread and I wish you the best of luck.
  • Options
    CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□

I can't agree with you on this. I've hacked a few VM's from vulnhub, had decent scripting knowledge and some decent konwledge of nmap, nikto, dirbuster, sqlmap, etc....

I think the PDF is very well laid out and covers some good points, and is a good reference for the future. I've made a lot of notes from them.

I do find the videos sometimes a bit tedious, e.g. it's kind of just repeating what you've read. HOWEVER, in certain times they do cover valuable things. On buffer overflows they were valuable as it was good to actually see it working and have a voice talking you through it. It made it clearer.

The exercises - I really really don't like them. In fact I'm very close to just not doing them. Often the exercise will ask you to something quite out of scope which doesn't make any sense. It also frustrates me that they often don't provide any guidance or answers. I know it's all about "Try Harder", and I am, but it's a lab book, a training guide, a reference, so it would be nice if it tested you and also walked through the answer and reasoning. Even if you got it right, it's nice to know that.
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)