Options

Have a degree and multiple certifications but no job experience! No one will hire me

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I am somewhat amused that everyone immediately jumps to the fact that he's got a master's degree on his resume as the reason he can't get a job. Without asking to see his resume, asking where he lives, asking how far he's gotten in the interview process, what his definition of a "well paying job" or making a recommendation about what types of programs or jobs he could apply for fresh out of grad school.

Naw. Let's not take that into account and just tell him to omit a positive from his resume and give him a 2 year gap in his resume where he's studying for certifications instead of going to school. I'm sure that will fix it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Oh and JD is right. Depending on the job - whether it's with the government or requires some kind of clearance - lying about your MS degree could be discovered. Honesty is the best policy
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am somewhat amused that everyone immediately jumps to the fact that he's got a master's degree on his resume as the reason he can't get a job. Without asking to see his resume, asking where he lives, asking how far he's gotten in the interview process, what his definition of a "well paying job" or making a recommendation about what types of programs or jobs he could apply for fresh out of grad school.

Naw. Let's not take that into account and just tell him to omit a positive from his resume and give him a 2 year gap in his resume where he's studying for certifications instead of going to school. I'm sure that will fix it.

OP clearly states this:

I currently have my MS in Cyber Security Technology and hold several highly respectable certifications. The only problem is that I don't have any hands on IT experience. I've been living with my parents working on my degree and obtaining certs.

Never really had a real job.

So the issue is that I'm having a hard time getting a job that pays decent with no experience. I've been denied for being overqualified for help desk jobs. What do you all recommend in a situation like this?

They said very clearly they're being disqualified for being over qualified, (We do know this as fact but don't know exactly what on their resume is causing this). Now with that said, I suggested taking the certifications off not the degrees. IMO Certifications have a certain element of mastery or expertise associated with them.

The bottom line IMO is the OP didn't keep his/her experience in alignment with his/her credentials. This is the biggest no-no in IT, again in my opinion and research, some anecdotal. This is where you have most of these disconnects from young IT professionals. It's why I don't suggest getting more than one certification before applying for jobs. (Again just my strategy but it works).

I think the strategy at this point is to ratchet back a few items off the resume and give it a go on some help desk jobs. Heck the OP might have more education and certifications than the hiring manager and leads.... And we all know that insecurity reigns supreme in the work place.

The OP only posted once so I won't spend anymore effort on this....

Good luck to the OP.

• Options
    ...or he could simply just not go for help desk jobs since he's got an MS in Cybersecurity and security is one of those fields that have a negative unemployment rate in certain areas. See my original replies and the links I provided. There are plenty of places that would probably hire him if he's willing to relocate. Also, there isn't an implied level of experience with a MS degree - it's not a lab heavy cert such as a CCIE or VCAP. He also stated he had well respected certifications - not expert or advanced ones. That would be an assumption to think he should racket back either unless he clarifies. I, for one, do not think the OP should take a help desk job unless forced to given what his MS degree is in and the demand for that specific field. If the OP would like to clarify or states that he has no interest in cybersecurity after getting that degree, that would be fair but I am making a general assumption that his interest is in security.

Most professional fields that require advanced degrees (doctors, lawyers, etc), the professional gets the degrees and schooling out of the way prior to having any sort of professional experience in said field. In IT, we're unique because we don't need schooling in order to get into the field in most cases but, like other professionals, we don't often add weight or implied experience by virtue of someone having a degree.

Ironically, I believe some of the folks on this thread have posted in other threads in the past about how a degree only helps out early on in your career but it gets less useful the more years that go by and experience you get. I definitely agree with that but now we're telling n00bs to remove degrees and pop it back on the resume years from now when it really won't help much anyways?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Ironically, I believe some of the folks on this thread have posted in other threads in the past about how a degree only helps out early on in your career but it gets less useful the more years that go by and experience you get. I definitely agree with that but now we're telling n00bs to remove degrees and pop it back on the resume years from now when it really won't help much anyways?

And no offense to them, I think they are speaking from a position which may not apply to newer candidates getting into IT.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that at all, keep the degrees no way I would remove them. Certs on the other hard are meant to be added and removed, it's like plug and play as needed.

If you are applying for a business centric IT role, it's probably in your best interest to omit the MCSE..... While people on this forum like to say it will be helpful, I know it's not in those situations...... I've lived it.

OP did state they are applying for help desk jobs though, I only answer the questions that are asked. They are interested in help desk, which was clearly stated, and I offered why they were getting back overqualified HR messages via email or phone......
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I just can't fathom a scenario where I would spend the time and money on a Master's degree and then withhold it from my resume. I also would not start with a help desk role. Did you complete any internships?
  • Options
    Repo Man wrote: »
    And no offense to them, I think they are speaking from a position which may not apply to newer candidates getting into IT.

I would say that in most cases, degrees only help in the beginning of your career. The more experience (even the experience part is debatable to be fair) and focused certs you get, the less people care about your degree. This is why most folks end up moving their degrees to the end of their resume after enough time. In this case, the OP is applying for helpdesk roles - First question I would ask is why? Second question is why he thinks he's being turned down for being overqualified. Is it an assumption or has be been blatently told this? Usually if I send a resume into the ether and I'm overqualified, I would assume in most cases they simply look at his resume and never call him. He might each and every company he sends his resume to but if he's submitting his resume to 100's of places, that seems like a daunting task.

@Repo - and I agree with you, I wouldn't spend $15-30K on a MS degree and then just forget about it for a couple years.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Repo Man wrote: »
    I just can't fathom a scenario where I would spend the time and money on a Master's degree and then withhold it from my resume. I also would not start with a help desk role. Did you complete any internships?

How bout the scenario when you can't get a job because of it? I agree with Master's degree he should be applying for more specialized roles though. Security Analyst, SOC, NOC... I would be surprised if someone thought he would be overqualified for those types of positions.

I'm also curious if he has blatantly been told over and over he is overqualified.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To add my .02, I can say that removing my MBA of my resume/CV definitely got me more interviews in my early years of IT work. I needed the entry level jobs to break into IT, certs alone weren't enough, but I wasn't getting much interviews. Then it occurred to me, my MBA was probably discouraging employers, after all it made me appear overqualified, like I would take the job and jump ship when something better came along. I wasn't planning to do that of course, my intent was to gradually build experience. But potential employers didn't know that or could be sure that's what I would do. After I removed it, listed only my BSIT and certs, and revised my resume to give my satellite and wireless telecom experience a more "IT spin", I was able to break into IT.

And when my employers found out I had it, none of them said anything nor did I ever lose an offer or job because of it.
    I even told a manager when I was looking into an internal position that preferred a Masters after being with the company over a year, I in fact have an MBA (thus a Masters) but left it off my resume. He even admitted had he seen it on my application, he probably would have passed me over as he had with other candidates.

At my career stage now, including it on my resume has become very helpful, as I've progressed from Sys Admin in the beginning, to IT manager now, so having an MBA enhances my resume.
  • Options
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    To add my .02, I can say that removing my MBA of my resume/CV definitely got me more interviews in my early years of IT work. I needed the entry level jobs to break into IT, certs alone weren't enough, but I wasn't getting much interviews. Then it occurred to me, my MBA was probably discouraging employers, after all it made me appear overqualified, like I would take the job and jump ship when something better came along. I wasn't planning to do that of course, my intent was to gradually build experience. But potential employers didn't know that or could be sure that's what I would do. After I removed it, listed only my BSIT and certs, and revised my resume to give my satellite and wireless telecom experience a more "IT spin", I was able to break into IT.

And when my employers found out I had it, none of them said anything nor did I ever lose an offer or job because of it.
    I even told a manager when I was looking into an internal position that preferred a Masters after being with the company over a year, I in fact have an MBA (thus a Masters) but left it off my resume. He even admitted had he seen it on my application, he probably would have passed me over as he had with other candidates.

At my career stage now, including it on my resume has become very helpful, as I've progressed from Sys Admin in the beginning, to IT manager now, so having an MBA enhances my resume.

This is reality...... I've been the hiring manager who has over looked resumes for lower level IT positions because of the advanced degrees and certifications.

I always thought this was common knowledge........
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ...Now with that said, I suggested taking the certifications off not the degrees. IMO Certifications have a certain element of mastery or expertise associated with them...

I think the strategy at this point is to ratchet back a few items off the resume and give it a go on some help desk jobs.

WRONG!!
    Because according to JDmurray & koz24,
    if the OP leaves off these relevant certifications, then he is being deceitful.

.</sarcasm>
  • Options
    LordQarlyn wrote: »

Finally, we get to the Truth of the Matter:

Some employers may think the omission deceitful.
    And some employers may not (as LordQ's annecdote proves).

But you would be fool to definitively speak for "all" employers...
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Assuming your in the US, there are government jobs that they can't fill because of a lack of personnel. I don't know what you consider "good" pay but depending on if your willing to relocate there are a lot of IT related jobs in the FBI that someone with your credentials could look into. The pay isn't amazing right out of the gate but there are a multitude of benefits.

It's something to look at if your interested.
  • Options
    CapnCrunchCapnCrunch Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea, I probably wouldn't want to hire someone with those credentials for a help desk job either. Safe to assume you jump as soon as another job came along.

Didn't do an internship in all that time you were in college?

I guess you could dumb your resume down and remove some high level certs to get a lower level position though...
    No I didn't do an internship while I was in school which I regret.
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    These guys nailed it.

Personally, i would keep the certifications on your resume, but REMOVE the Masters Degree;
    THAT's the biggest reason you cant land an entry job.

I think a resume with a BAchelors, a couple of certs, and No experience is okay for an Entry position.
    I also think a 2nd resume with an Associates, a couple of certs, and No experience is also okay for an Entry position.

Keep applying for gigs, but use the 'correct' resume.
    In your circumstance, you want to HIDE your qualifications :]

(After a few years of working, you can put your Masters Degree back on it)

I was thinking about removing my degree from my resume to see if anyone would actually take me serious. I've received multiple job denials due to overqualification so this looks like the issue.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's the catch22 of education. I was looking for a Jr analyst a year ago, got a ton of resumes by people who were already beyond that level. You'd think that would be great, except you know they'd be on the lookup for a Sr level position the second they take the job, so it's a waste of time. Especially if you're going for helpdesk type jobs with a masters in security. They know you're on the lookout ASAP for a security role, otherwise why did you get the MS in the first place?
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I take my Master's and MBA off my resume with experience depending on the contract or opportunity. That is ALOT different from remitting those degrees on the SF-89 or other government reporting. Basically, if its not on the resume I don't have to declare it on an application with no penalty later by HR unless applying for a higher level position in the same company later in my career.

Simply put. My MBA is generally worthless if I am applying as a security architect but my experience and CS degrees would be spot on. Oh and those cert things. Clients like them but used improperly and will get you into just as much trouble. If you declare yourself to be a mid level security analyst with the CISSP or network engineer with a CCNP with no experience of course people are going to look at you suspiciously. Most high level certificates require documented experience in order to sit for the exam.

Sorry for offending many of you but many know my policy on such.

Cap'n Crunch T-Shirt: https://www.zerodayclothing.com/products/capncrunch/capncrunch.php

Cap'n Crunch is a grandfather of hacking. icon_wink.gif

- b/eads
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    I take my Master's and MBA off my resume with experience depending on the contract or opportunity. That is ALOT different from remitting those degrees on the SF-89 or other government reporting. Basically, if its not on the resume I don't have to declare it on an application with no penalty later by HR unless applying for a higher level position in the same company later in my career.

Simply put. My MBA is generally worthless if I am applying as a security architect but my experience and CS degrees would be spot on. Oh and those cert things. Clients like them but used improperly and will get you into just as much trouble. If you declare yourself to be a mid level security analyst with the CISSP or network engineer with a CCNP with no experience of course people are going to look at you suspiciously. Most high level certificates require documented experience in order to sit for the exam.

Sorry for offending many of you but many know my policy on such.

Top notch post.....
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Most high level certificates require documented experience in order to sit for the exam.
    Just to be clear, you aren’t talking about expert certifications right? CCIE, GSE, the Juniper equivalent are all expert high level certifications, none of which require documented experience to sit/claim. Also, CISSP/CISA/CISM etc. all let you sit for the exam prior to having the experience and give a time frame you have to achieve and then get endorsed by somebody to claim the credential...although at times I question those that have been endorsed.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you aren’t talking about expert certifications right?

PMP and related project management certs require proof you have the relevant years of project management experience before you can even register for the exam - vetting of the experience is done via random selection where they will contact your employers and references to see if you are legit and if not, you lose the expensive registration fee.

I suspect there are other high level certs that have this sort of barrier.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    All this questions about whether to remove the certs, or the Master's or both or neither. Maybe just write a bunch of different resumes with the various permutations and send them out.

One thing I've become convinced of in my years of work and looking for work is that there is no magic bullet to getting a job: what one potential employer hates, another will love, and there's often no way to know the particular biases and fetishes of that next potential employer.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    All this questions about whether to remove the certs, or the Master's or both or neither. Maybe just write a bunch of different resumes with the various permutations and send them out.

Careful now, Octal.
    Giving such advice might get you labeled as "deceitful".

lol
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for this great advice. I've decided to keep my degree on my resume and take off my certifications.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you ever say what certs they are? If they are entry level certs i.e. A/N/S+, etc, then don't take them off.
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm running into a similar problem with having at least sufficient credentials, but not enough experience. Plus I've been unemployed for a while and it seems the longer one is unemployed, the harder it is to get back on the horse.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    What roles are you trying to get and what is your experience?
  • Options
    infosecsinfosecs Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm running into a similar problem with having at least sufficient credentials, but not enough experience. Plus I've been unemployed for a while and it seems the longer one is unemployed, the harder it is to get back on the horse.
    You are right about being unemployed for long time creating negative connotations. However job specific skills can help you get in. You should focus on getting hands on experience, if possible.
  • Options
    You are only as good as your weakest link. If you don't have experience, which is the most important piece of the formula you aren't much better off than others....

From my painful experience, someone with 6 months experience is > than a masters and 10 certs with no experience.

Degrees and Certs are "NICE TO HAVES" experience is a must.... I would recommend working short termed projects, like 3 week deployments or some project work. Parlay that into a contract and hopefully you'll be off to the races.....
  • Options
    ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know that companies like Accenture take graduates in without any experience.

I've seen other job posting like this, so have a look around.