Options

Being let go Before 90 days. How Do you Bounce Back?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why are MSP's bad? I'm just curious. Sometimes it's not you, it's them. You could do every right in the book and you'd still be canned.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They're Not all bad.
    They're Not all good.

It matters most on "what" you will actually be doing.

If they have you "working the phones", then it's probably gonna be a rough experience.
    If you are currently unemployed... then not much to lose.
    But if you already have a job.... maybe it's wiser to decline.

I work at an MSP; (landed a role on their NOC).
    Craaaazy exp.
    fo reals

It's basically like going to a boot-camp.
    1 week here = 2 weeks in enterprise.

But i plan to GTFO next summer.
    The pay is meh, the Expectations are daunting, but the EXP is ridiculous :]
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Kyrak wrote: »
    *Hooks up DVI Cable*
    Oh crap, no video
    *Hooks up VGA Cable now as well*
    Success!
    Looks like it is working to me. Next computer!

And OP, don't put it on your resume and don't sweat it. Their loss but keep in mind the first 90 days is a probational period in some states (like Florida) so always make sure everything you do is as perfect as you can until you get past that point.

It sort of went like that....

We set up his computer to support two monitors, but he had three monitors. We had to get a video card to support his three monitors. Infact, anyone that need more than two monitors needed a video card.

So I set up his computer to support two video cards. We had to get the video cards that needed to be purchased approved by management. This took a few days..

The video cards came in and the guy that I was working on the project with decided we should install the video card without telling our supervisor.

Well I connected two video cables to one monitor by accident. It's hard to connect any sort of cabling backup up again once someone has all their stuff setup up. I made sure all monitors were working before I left, but my manager was angry.

I won't put this job my resume.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Hey Guys Well I'm not in any hurry to go back to an MSP.

They seem like they want mid level enterprise experience, but they only want to pay just a tad above minimum wage.

Do I bring up my job loss/separation to a recruiter? Sometimes they ask what have you been doing? Why didn't find a a job ect?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What were you doing prior to the MSP job?
    Perhaps that could be what you bring up instead of the MSP job.
    Some careers experts may have a better idea though.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You don't have to tell the recruiter anything. Just say, you have been searching for a job.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wait until we're in an economic recession, happens all the time. You where the easiest to let go, last in first out is pretty normal, especially if your in the trial period or are in a contractor/temp to hire situation.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Last Person in first person to go
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last in first out.
    First in first out.

So i guess somewhere the middle is the best haha.

Its true though. I've seen the newest and oldest tenure people being let go during budget cuts.
    Newest person because they are the easiest.
    Oldest because the are the most expensive.
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Basic85 wrote: »
    Why are MSP's bad? I'm just curious. Sometimes it's not you, it's them. You could do every right in the book and you'd still be canned.

Maybe it's the tight SLAs because the MSP I worked for could face financial penalties if the overall SLAs were broken.

Most companies use SLAs but if they're not a MSP then if a SLA is broken, it doesn't matter that much compared to a MSP who has a contract with their client.
  • Options
    cbdudekcbdudek Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You bounce back by getting back on the horse when you fall off. I was let go after being on the job for 7.5 years. I was down on myself and I questioned what the cause of it was. Was it due to poor management? Yes it was. Was there blame on me as well? Absolutely. I collected myself, and kicked it back into gear the next day. I had a job a couple weeks later.

The key is understanding and rebounding. Understand why you were let go. Its easy to blame the company. Its harder to look deeper into yourself and find what fault you had. Make adjustments, and get out there and look for your next job.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Nisseki wrote: »
    Maybe it's the tight SLAs because the MSP I worked for could face financial penalties if the overall SLAs were broken.

Most companies use SLAs but if they're not a MSP then if a SLA is broken, it doesn't matter that much compared to a MSP who has a contract with their client.

Depends if you are on the internal or external team. Internal (where I am) does deal with some of that (tracking time, other bs). What we deal with a lot is our boss coming back from some conference with a new idea that we can implement internally and then sell to customers. Who figures that out? You got it. Our big team of 3. There are a lot of times we will be working on something and then something BETTER will come along too. This is on top of your normal IT. Updates, day to day tickets, network outages, etc.

It can be overwhelming but it's helped me out a lot with time management. I have fallen behind in my studies but I think I am more versed in various things (generally not what you want to further your career... but I am enjoying it atm)
  • Options
    Panther wrote: »
    I realized you're the same OP on the other thread, about choosing the library work or the msp.

Sorry this happened. I'm in the job market too, so I feel for you.

Would you be able to share what you would do differently, in hindsight? If you want.

Your thread and others on the net has me seriously interviewing them also instead of asking questions just to ask (which I was sort of doing).

I wanted to come back to this and say I wouldn't do anything different. It's easy finding a job, but it's hard to find the right job.

Maybe if it was bigger company I wold build a relationship with the current employees, and get a feel as to why the y like to work their.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor