Options

Am I really not qualified for a Comcast Comtech 1?

Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
I figured didn't get the job with Comcast as a Comtech 1 when I went in for interview over summer and never heard back from them. The Comtech 1 is basically just going to houses and running wires in house and setting up cable/ internet service for clients in the house. In interview they said they would train you for 13 weeks no previous experience needed. It was $14/hr starting pay.

A candidate they interviewed and hired was a lady in my town I know. She had no previous experience doing anything remotely similar to this. I talked to her about computers and networking in waiting room before they interviewed us and she said she has trouble with computers couldn't understand them. Didn't know much about TV's and not a clue about networking. No computer degree, no certs, no college, had not worked in the workforce for over 15 years.

I have a computer degree, Microsoft certs, A+, N+, S+, 2 years previous experience in IT field.

I just was baffled when I got rejection letter and they told me I didn't have the work history or skills to do the job, yet they hired that lady who had no college degree, certs, didn't seem to know a clue about computers or networking, and had not worked in over 15 years.

Do I truly not have the previous experience or skills for this job? DID 1 Year doing php/ web development and this past year been working as a laptop technician.
Just confused...
... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula

Comments

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bro-ham,
    you gotta understand how the game is played.

Employers want people that they can control. They want people with enough skill to get the job... but Not enough skill to get a better Job/offer tomorrow.

You were Rejected because you were OVER qualified.

They threw your resume in the trash as soon as they saw your MASTERS degree.
    You also had the Comptia trinity; aka OVER-achiever; Into the TRASH.

Now had you submitted a resume/work history with:
    Education:
    Highschool Diploma/ working on Associates.
    Certification:
    A+ or Network+ (but NOT both)

Work history:
    TRUCK Driver....

i BET you would have gotten an offer.

Peace
  • Options
    shoeyshoey Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lmfao volfkhat!! Spot on!
    "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That lady clearly had a medical coding certificate.

(CyberGuyPR runs and hides)
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Over qualified for sure. I had a similar role years ago before certs and bachelors. It wasn't a good job and I had to quit before it affected my personal life. It's a step back from computer tech. Don't go down a rung or fall off the ladder only look to climb.

You really need to realize that you are good enough to climb to the next rung. Focus on nothing else professionally.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

Bwahahaha!
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    definitely agree with volfkhat, you were grossly over-qualified which is why the under-qualified (we can teach them just enough to be almost adequate to do the job) and not worry about someone else's job offer to them
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□

Rolling on the floor laughing doing helicopters and snow angels lol
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Over qualified for sure. I had a similar role years ago before certs and bachelors. It wasn't a good job and I had to quit before it affected my personal life. It's a step back from computer tech. Don't go down a rung or fall off the ladder only look to climb.

You really need to realize that you are good enough to climb to the next rung. Focus on nothing else professionally.

@techfiend you will understand the current thread more once you read this http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/129953-medical-medical-coding-good-mix-skills.html
  • Options
    shoeyshoey Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »

Uhhh... I thought volfkhat's initial comment was funny without knowing the backstory. bowing.gif
    "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're over qualified for that role. Depending on the state you are in, Comcast Business is actually looking for highly skilled engineers right now.

The tier 1 stuff is usually given to people who are new to the field..
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LOL I know how you feel, I applied at Cox cable years ago for a similar position, with an MBA and tech certs. I didn't even get an interview. And as volfkhat's quite funny comment says, employers don't want to hire people for jobs who could easily get a better job next month. You have to think about it from their perspective, it's time consuming and costs money to hire someone. The last thing they need to do hire an overqualified candidate who then gets a new higher paying job the next they and they have to start over again. If you apply for jobs you are overqualified for but serious about, keep that in mind and during the interview address their concerns regarding that.

And also as volfkhat says, tailor your resume. Read the job description, and only list the education and certs pertinent to the job posting. Don't lie - if you're asked directly answer honestly, but don't volunteer your other credentials.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□

Oh my, lol!
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□

LOL! +1 for that. I agree with the above posts in saying that you were WAY over qualified for the job. Plus one more factor is you have an MS and hardly any real work experience. This will be another factor that hurts you when job searching. What is with all these people getting MS's with little to no work experience? I don't get where this movement came from.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After reading a commtech 1 job posting, I think a even a high school drop out with a BICSI certification would be over-qualified.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You wouldn't want that job anyways...they work long hours, majority of the clients are already pissed off when you arrive, and probably working at comcast sucks anyways. I recall having their service many years ago & it just was awful. Start looking for companies to work for that actually have a great work/life balance & that have a great reputation of taking care of their employees. Cheers and best of luck.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    I think his problem is he has already overqualified himself for jobs within his experience range as well though with that MS degree. While I know MS degree doesn't equal knowledge, but as stated above it equals an employer feeling like you will just jump ship when something better comes along.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    MustafaITMustafaIT Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have applied too many times , I was feeling the same way and I hold a CCNA certification. They never accepted my application nor did they contact me for next steps. They might think we overqualified for this job.. Try applying through Indeed , Linkedin ... etc
    Hope it helps
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sometimes being the right gender/nationality/race get preferential treatment when it comes to hiring. Most companies want to be seen as hiring a diverse work force. It just may have been something simple as someone in upper management telling HR they they need to hire more applicants of X gender/nationality/race, so HR hired the first person they found that met the requirements. Sure you may have been a better candidate, but if HR knows only one person of X gender/nationality/race applies every few months, they may be more inclined to take someone less than qualified then someone else who is, that isn't the correct gender/nationality/race to meet there "quota". So long as the person is teachable, I'm sure they will do fine with the 13 week training program they have.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    McxRisley wrote: »
    I think his problem is he has already overqualified himself for jobs within his experience range as well though with that MS degree. While I know MS degree doesn't equal knowledge, but as stated above it equals an employer feeling like you will just jump ship when something better comes along.

Which is why, based on the job, you back it down to a Bachelor's or "some college", as needed.
  • Options
    Accurs3DAccurs3D Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone else that at least on paper you are grossly overqualified for this tier 1 Comcast cable tech position. Initially, I didn't understand the medical coding joke but with additional context from TheFORCE now I do. Looking at your post, it becomes clear that you really have no idea what you'd like to do.

I think you need to apply for some higher level IT positions and just gain some experience if IT is what you want. Why not look into systems admin or something along those lines?

You have a BSc, an MSc, and an ITIL V3, etc., but what you really need IMHO is a JOB.
  • Options
    Accurs3D wrote: »
    I agree with everyone else that at least on paper you are grossly overqualified for this tier 1 Comcast cable tech position. Initially, I didn't understand the medical coding joke but with additional context from TheFORCE now I do. Looking at your post, it becomes clear that you really have no idea what you'd like to do.

I think you need to apply for some higher level IT positions and just gain some experience if IT is what you want. Why not look into systems admin or something along those lines?

You have a BSc, an MSc, and an ITIL V3, etc., but what you really need IMHO is a JOB.

I have a job, been working as a Laptop Technician for the past year.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was turned down as a cart pusher for Target and never even received a call back for a Starbucks barista position I applied to...
  • Options
    Accurs3DAccurs3D Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Moon Child wrote: »
    I have a job, been working as a Laptop Technician for the past year.
    I meant that you need a better job with those qualifications. Good luck. Laptop technician to Comcast cable technician is a downgrade, not an upgrade. At best it'd be a sidegrade.
  • Options
    NetEngineer86NetEngineer86 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont think its been stated yet so I am eager to give my 2 cents....you were ....OVER QUALIFIED! lol no worries though man! Just means you are meant for a much better higher paying job out there. Dont be down about it, you will see this will end up being a great thing!
    Kyle Hook
    AAS Computer Network Engineer
    www.hookscr.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ya I'm well aware of Moon Child's whatever you call it in another thread. Looking at this thread I imagine he's trying to convince his wife he could be a barista or cart pusher.

Don't do it Moon Child! Gain some confidence in yourself and move onto a more advanced job. Tell your wife you are more qualified than the positions you wrote about on here, see what she says.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    I dont think its been stated yet so I am eager to give my 2 cents....you were ....OVER QUALIFIED! lol no worries though man! Just means you are meant for a much better higher paying job out there. Dont be down about it, you will see this will end up being a great thing!

How can it be a great thing? He still doesn't understand that anyone can do the low pay low skills jobs. But he THINKS there is job security in those jobs.
  • Options
    There is job security in the job I am at now it is a permanent position with pay raises and benefits. Getting great experience. I don't care that anyone can do the lower skill jobs, just very thankful at this stage of my life to have a job at all.

My wife has worked at McDonald's for 20+ years and says I should be thankful have job I have and thankful in this economy I even have a job at all and I think she is right about that.
  • Options
    There's always the structural engineer path that I suggested ;)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Moon Child wrote: »
    There is job security in the job I am at now it is a permanent position with pay raises and benefits. Getting great experience. I don't care that anyone can do the lower skill jobs, just very thankful at this stage of my life to have a job at all.

My wife has worked at McDonald's for 20+ years and says I should be thankful have job I have and thankful in this economy I even have a job at all and I think she is right about that.
    No, she's not, we're not in a bad economy, you might be in a bad location but no one but you can change that. You intentionally take low level jobs and career hop every chance you get so you never progress. I told myself I'd stop replying to your posts because I'm not even sure if this is just a long term ***** post but sometimes it's just too much to ignore.

You have education, certs and experience, the only person holding you back is you at this point.

Edit, amazing that it *** the word +r011 and I have to write it like a 12 year old script kiddie, hah.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What? The economy has improved vastly (trust me, I know..) Please stop making excuses and get a new attitude.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....