Options

Am I really not qualified for a Comcast Comtech 1?

2»

Comments

• Options
    nole07nole07 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Sometimes being the right gender/nationality/race get preferential treatment when it comes to hiring. Most companies want to be seen as hiring a diverse work force. It just may have been something simple as someone in upper management telling HR they they need to hire more applicants of X gender/nationality/race, so HR hired the first person they found that met the requirements. Sure you may have been a better candidate, but if HR knows only one person of X gender/nationality/race applies every few months, they may be more inclined to take someone less than qualified then someone else who is, that isn't the correct gender/nationality/race to meet there "quota". So long as the person is teachable, I'm sure they will do fine with the 13 week training program they have.

This. It happens a lot actually, and it's pretty sad. I was told my by bosses that when I was hired they had to submit a paper to HR why they didn't hire someone who was black, Asian, etc. I balked at that and said that was absolutely ridiculous.

Looking back on when i first applied for this job, got the interview and hired on. I applied for this job when I lived in another state, 8 hours away. The fact that they couldn't find any reputable candidates where i moved to does not surprise me in the least anymore....once i moved down here and saw for myself.
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OPs threads should be stickied/referenced for anyone wondering how long is long enough to stay at a job, and information about lateral moves.
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Trust me man, structural engineering is where your future resides. Preferably at a site that hasn't been inspected by OSHA lately and has no safety personnel on duty...
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    LarryTRLarryTR Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trust me, you don't want to work in the field (or as CS or Tech support) for a telecomm company. You are better off flipping burgers. It's just one pissed-off customer after another. The phone techs offer no support at all. All they do is send techs out to deal with the customer and most problems can't be fixed because the problem lies in the infrastructure.
    Moon Child wrote: »
    There is job security in the job I am at now it is a permanent position with pay raises and benefits. Getting great experience.

Then why on earth are you trying to get a telecom job?

Look, I know you live in a depressed area. I do, too. If you want a better IT job than Laptop Tech, you have to be willing to commute long distances everyday or move. That's just the way it is. But for pete's sake, don't bother with telecom! By "telecom", I mean cable, phone, satellite, etc.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is moon child the one who brought up having 50+ positions a few years ago?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    LarryTRLarryTR Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Is moon child the one who brought up having 50+ positions a few years ago?

Nope, not a few years ago. Not even a month ago...
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/129953-medical-medical-coding-good-mix-skills.html