Options

Keep failing at interviewing

2»

Comments

• Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    And this is one of the reasons why it's easier to find a job when you already have one. You're usually more comfortable, can take your time and ask questions so you can pick your desired workplace, negotiate the salary, etc. When you're starving for work the interviewers know it, they might treat you differently and most people start the interview scared that they might mess up and blow their big lead.

My last job interview was the best I've ever felt. I went through a few rounds over the phone and the manager brought me in early to talk to me before the group interview. He told me that they were pretty sure I was the one but wanted to make sure I fit in socially, so today is a formality but if I want the job it's mine to take in the future interview. I was instantly at ease, had a big panel interview where we were all laughing together, I couldn't have had a bigger dose of confidence walking into the group. Had I just walked in off the street and knew my mortgage was due in a week and I was broke there is no way I would have felt as comfortable.

It's more of a psychological thing, if you don't get an offer, it's not big deal as you already have a job. Another thing to note that just because you have a job that doesn't mean you'll get an offer. I'm in a situation where I'm not that desperate for a job so if an employer treated me horribly, I'd have no problems up and leaving.
  • Options
    lamont29lamont29 Member Posts: 27 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They were looking for an enterprise experienced person and clearly you are not that based on your certifications. I hate when employers decide to waste my time. I have gained a new appreciation for phone first interviews. I put everything on the table right then so that we all know what our expectations are. I am reluctant to go into a face2face interview without having talked to someone in great detail first.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    I bought a brand new (expensive car here) with windshield protection, full coverage insurance, gap insurance and Low Jack.
    What, no rust-proof undercoating? icon_tongue.gif

I once practically demanded that a car salesman sell me LoJack for an extra $1500. Only when my auto insurance company told me the LoJack didn't really lower my rates by any significant amount did I realize that I did the salesman's job for him.
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    Don't argue with me about this positive rep.
    No argument here and thank you! :D
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I consider myself an introvert and I, too, get really nervous before my interviews. What had help me the most was practice and repetition. Just like when you would study for a cert. Think of it as just another skill or knowledge you need to master.

Google a bunch of interview questions and write down the answer for each. Sit in front of a mirror and practice your delivery. You want to practice until you are fluent and not awkward even when you don't remember your answer word for word. I guess doing mock interviews with friend/family may be better but I'd be too shy even for that.

During the interview, if you find yourself stumbling and uncomfortable, slow it down. It is OK to ask the interviewer to repeat or clarify the question to buy yourself some time to think. Also, I have told the interviewers that I did not know the answer to their question many times. If you are unsure of the answer, let them know and you can follow that up with what you think it is based on the similar topics you do know.

I have probably spent 20+ hours doing this last time I was looking for a job. Two interviews. Two offers. You just have to keep working at it.

Good luck. Hope you catch a break soon.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much guys. I love this forum. The interview I was hoping for never came. We were in email contact before the holidays to nail down a date and time for an interview, but they dropped communication. I wasn't even being difficult so that's a red flag anyway in my book.

Now I got an interview for a great opportunity that very much aligns to some of my other IT and business skills. I have a week to prepare and I plan to go through the job details line by line and get my pitch together. I plan to WIN!
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've said some pretty dumb things in interviews before and I consider myself an extrovert. So, you're definitely not alone. The thing, I think, to have in mind going into the interview is why you would be a good candidate and why you would be the best person for the job. Of course you need to do your research on the company so you can talk intelligently on why you would be the best fit for the job.

If you mess up maybe at the end you could recover and say something like, "I was really nervous and I realize I answered the question wrong but here are some good reasons why I would be an excellent employee" and of course tell them why. You have nothing to lose at that point if you feel the interview didn't go well. Sell yourself and know what makes you a good candidate!

Realize when you go into an interview you are probably already doubting yourself so turn it around and take some pressure off yourself. Think of it as an opportunity to practice interviewing. They already like you or they wouldn't have brought you in to the interview so now you need to figure out if you like them.