Options

Suit to interview or not?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I remember a scene in one of the Steve Jobs movies where Jobs was interviewing a guy who was wearing a suit. The candidate looked as though was interviewing at IBM, while Jobs was wearing jeans, t-shirt, and had his bare feet up on the table. It was clear by Jobs' attitude that the candidate should have been doing/wearing the same.

This is an extremely rare business interviewing situation that you are most likely to only see in smaller computer gaming companies. Unless you have "insider information" over what best to wear, always wear a suit.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think a suit is standard operating procedure.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have to tell the story every time this topic comes up. I used to work for a startup type place where people wore "Epic Fail" t-shirts. Now, this was OK in some departments, usually tech. Heck, in the summer I wore cargo shorts some days. Having said that, other areas were more businessy (is that a word?) where the norm was from business casual to full up suits. For some reason many candidates assumed the chill vibe was the norm and totally under dressed. I'm not sure if anyone lost a job due to under dressing but it certainly invited for some negative conversation from the interview panel afterwards.

My rules of the road which touch on points mentioned above are:
    - Know your audience. If you are interviewing with financial services, legal, and other highly traditional businesses the expectation may be more traditional. If you go to 'Bruh Company' it most likely be more chill but who knows.
    - Suit, unless otherwise stated
    - If in doubt, call and ask. Don't assume what you see in LinkedIn or other social media pics from that company is the norm
    - Whatever you do, it must be NEAT. No obnoxious ties/shirts/prints, etc. Make sure clothes fit well. I've come across way too many candidates that I could tell were suffering from an overly tight collar, noisy jewelry, etc.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bought and wore my first suit ever for an interview...only to have the recruiter email me after with an appointment which stated a different level of dress code. I called to clarify and he mentioned not to wear a full suit but just dress pants and a collard shirt. I said screw it, I already bought the suit, so I wore it.

The interview was on a Friday and was an all day schedule of 1 on 1 interviews with various team members. They were all dressed down in blue jeans and a t-shirt, and there I was in a suit.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Ive wear suits on all my interview. 2 interviews!!!!
    On my 3rd interview, I got pissed and stopped caring about suits! renting is not cheap! Guess what? I got hired on the interview that I was not wearing a suit!

You've also got a CCIE Wireless. You could probably get hired in a bathrobe :)
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As most others have already touched upon, know where you're interviewing - this should be a good part of your interview prep regardless for reasons other than just having an idea of the culture. If you can't come to a reasonable conclusion, I'd opt for a suit.

You'll always have companies that stray from what you might think the attire would be as noted above. For some of the places where coming in to an interview wearing a suit might make you less desirable or perhaps not be a good fit for the company - that last part stands out from a post higher up. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I probably would find the laid back jeans or shorts and t-shirt workplace to not be a good fit. I enjoy a bit of formality here and there, for me I feel it's more of a respect and showing you're taking things serious thing. That's not at all to say you can't have all the respect in the world or be serious about your work wearing shorts and a t-shirt - just an observation about how some others may perceive it. For me, it's also a motivational tool to me as well in a way - when I'm well dressed at the office I generally have a more productive day. Dressing well has a subconscious way of putting a little extra bounce in my step and a higher level of confidence.
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I have to tell the story every time this topic comes up. I used to work for a startup type place where people wore "Epic Fail" t-shirts. Now, this was OK in some departments, usually tech. Heck, in the summer I wore cargo shorts some days. Having said that, other areas were more businessy (is that a word?) where the norm was from business casual to full up suits. For some reason many candidates assumed the chill vibe was the norm and totally under dressed. I'm not sure if anyone lost a job due to under dressing but it certainly invited for some negative conversation from the interview panel afterwards.

My rules of the road which touch on points mentioned above are:
    - Know your audience. If you are interviewing with financial services, legal, and other highly traditional businesses the expectation may be more traditional. If you go to 'Bruh Company' it most likely be more chill but who knows.
    - Suit, unless otherwise stated
    - If in doubt, call and ask. Don't assume what you see in LinkedIn or other social media pics from that company is the norm
    - Whatever you do, it must be NEAT. No obnoxious ties/shirts/prints, etc. Make sure clothes fit well. I've come across way too many candidates that I could tell were suffering from an overly tight collar, noisy jewelry, etc.

I had an interview with Rackspace a few years ago, and I was really struggling with what to wear. I wanted to wear a suit, but had a bunch of friends that worked there, been to the campus a bunch of times, and the atmosphere was frat house. I didn't want to appear too stuffy or out of touch, so I opted for some slacks, a polo and hard bottom shoes. Seemed like a solid middle ground of presentable, but not stuffy.

I had three hour long panel interviews back to back, where the attire regressed significantly in each one, and ultimately the last stage was a guy in cargo shorts and flip-flops, and another dressed like gilfoyle from silicon valley.

Anywho, I ultimately didn't get the job and in my feedback the recruiter specifically mentioned that I was underdressed for the interview. It was humiliating and embarassing. I've worn suits to every interview since, and if I feel overdressed I just make a point to make light of it immediately to let them know that I'm just prepared, but not uptight.
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    So I turned up In a suit, and the first thing the interviewer said was 'why don't you take you jacket off and hang it over there'
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    So? You were noticed in your suit... icon_wink.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    A very important thing to project in an interview is confidence in your ability to communicate with the interviewing committee as a peer and not as a prisoner who is being interrogated. Wearing a suit helps me feel more confidant in most situations. (The perceived authority presented by superior haberdashery?) However, many people may feel very uncomfortable and out-of-place wearing a suit, and that may impact their ability to be at ease and to be themselves in an interview. These people need to learn to "wear the suit" and not let the suit wear them.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So? You were noticed in your suit... icon_wink.gif

Doesn't sound like that was a hint of positive recognition.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I interview, the interviewer should be glad that I chose not to wear my speedo :D

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    A very important thing to project in an interview is confidence in your ability to communicate with the interviewing committee as a peer and not as a prisoner who is being interrogated. Wearing a suit helps me feel more confidant in most situations. (The perceived authority presented by superior haberdashery?) However, many people may feel very uncomfortable and out-of-place wearing a suit, and that may impact their ability to be at ease and to be themselves in an interview. These people need to learn to "wear the suit" and not let the suit wear them.

Personally, I don't want to wear a suit enough to be comfortable wearing one. I wore a suit daily for two years and change when I made my disastrous foray into financial services and never got comfortable wearing it.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doesn't sound like that was a hint of positive recognition.

even still. rather be the guy that wore a suit and it wasnt necessary than the opposite, imo
  • Options
    Personally, I don't want to wear a suit enough to be comfortable wearing one. I wore a suit daily for two years and change when I made my disastrous foray into financial services and never got comfortable wearing it.

You need to find a way to change your attitude towards the suit when you are wearing it for a special event. Maybe think of it as a "superhero suit" that gives you special powers of authority and persuasion. You might try projecting a more confidant version of your personality while wearing it, like actors do when wearing a costume on stage in front of an audience. That's about what an interview is anyway.
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dontstop wrote: »
    I used to be in the camp of "If you have the skills you don't need to dress for it" but in reality I've realized it's a sign of respect and no one has ever lost a job because of over dressing.

Unless you have an inside track from someone you know and trust that already works for this organization - EVEN if HR tells you some less casual dress is fine - I'd suggest wearing a tie and sport coat or a suit. I agree that you won't lose for overdressing.

When I was working with a recruiter regarding my current job I remember going through the effort to run home in the middle of the day and change into a tie and coat to meet with the recruiter at a coffee shop. Because it was a mere casual meeting to discuss this job opportunity, and she knew my current job was a jeans environment she expected me to appear in very casual dress. I was "overdressed", but she was visibly surprised and pleased I'd made that extra effort, even commenting that not a lot of her clients did so. It made a good impression, and probably helped sway her to go to bat for me all the more.

I can say that even if our HR department told a candidate "Just dress casual", if I were doing the interview, someone showing with a tie and jacket would earn some points. If the job came down to two candidates, that small effort could swing my decision.
  • Options
    SyntaxSyntax Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any place where wearing a suit to an interview would be received negatively would have me questioning if I would fit within their culture. I just don't feel comfortable going to work in anything less than business casual, at least a polo and khakis. Jeans on Friday is cool also. The places that encourage you to come to work in board shorts and flip flops always come off as pretentious to me.
  • Options
    McElhinneyMcElhinney Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion I would rather overdress than under-dress. Wear the suit!!
    2017/2018 Certifications Gained: CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec.
    2018/2019 Certification Goals: CCNA Cyber OPs.
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

That will depend on wich stage you are. Usually on the first I always go with suits then the second one just business casual.

Good luck!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    unless they implicitly say no suit...wear a suit!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    I received a follow up from the recruiter and been given the news I'm through to the final stage interview. Head to head with someone who has 15 years more experience than me (I'm a relative noob with 2 years Comms experience).

Maybe the suit worked!
  • Options
    Good luck and continue wearing the suit.
  • Options
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    I received a follow up from the recruiter and been given the news I'm through to the final stage interview. Head to head with someone who has 15 years more experience than me (I'm a relative noob with 2 years Comms experience).

Maybe the suit worked!

Unless the job involves looking good while wearing a suit, it's more likely that you are perceived as someone who can potentially do the job for a lot less money than the other candidate. It all comes down to saving budget.
  • Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    That is an interesting statement...but it is your opinion and you are entitled to it... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I say that as a hiring manager who is interested in getting the best employees for the least amount of money. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cknapp78 wrote: »
    Standard for me is button down shirt, slacks, matching shoes and a sport coat. Almost no one wears full suit anymore. Although I have seen it and dressed appropriately when I had to. Current example...just got a new position in Raleigh. Asked the HR guy when i was interviewing what the dress code was. He said everyday attire is jeans and either polo or button down shirt. If clients are in the office or you visit a client, wear slacks. Wore my standard for the interview and got the job.

Of course, after I get the job, I am a little surprised about how things are in the office. I'm only 40 but god I feel old having working remotely for the past 8 years. Everyone in my age bracket dresses the same, jeans and a presentable shirt. Everyone from 21-35 wears whatever is clean that day. And the coders in the that age bracket just seem lucky to get dressed at all.

Not to mention all the "frills" in the office. Nap rooms, participating trophies for a "good job" every two weeks. Happy hour ever Wednesday in the office at 3 PM. Hell there were two kegs and the fridge was fully stocked with beer, wine, etc... A gaming room with every console imaginable. Also got asked if I wanted neon yellow, blue, or green theme for my cube. All I can say is thank god I am only in the office 2 days a week.

When did offices start catering to this stuff? Not blaming millenials but damn...

My 2 cents.
    You guys hiring?

PS: I prefer Heffeweizen and a blue theme for my cube.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I say that as a hiring manager who is interested in getting the best employees for the least amount of money. icon_cheers.gif

I agree with you tbh. Only thing I can try and quantify is that time served doesn't necessarily correlate to experience earned. I've picked up, learnt, fixed, and broken more in 2 years than some people in my current team have done in 7.

That's what I need to get across in the final stage
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    If you have a suit, wear it.

Otherwise, button down, tie (if avail) and slacks. Suits are cool and all, but I feel it's a bit dated courtesy that really had no rhyme or reason unless the dress code for that particular place was suit and tie.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @LeBroke

In all seriousness, yes. We are hiring like crazy. Go to cardinalsolutions.com. PM me for more details. Offices in Ohio, Charlotte, Raleigh, Tampa, Nashville, Atlanta and soon to be St. Louis.
  • Options
    pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It doesn't hurt to ask the HR/interviewer regarding the dress code... Good luck!