Options

Suit to interview or not?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    I never followed up this post, but I got the job! Been there 3 months now, and I haven’t worn anything apart from jeans and collared t shirt
  • Options
    CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS WEAR A SUIT

Hopefully that's clear enough icon_wink.gif

Seriously though... you're interviewing, you want to appear like you're dressed up for the occasion, it's important, you've worn your best gear... you want to make a good impression, you want them to look and think "he looks very smart and professional".

Even if the company and those interviewing turn up in shorts and t-shirt, it would be terrible for you to not be suited and booted.
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS WEAR A SUIT

Hopefully that's clear enough icon_wink.gif

As a hiring manager, I disagree. What you wear should be based on a few things:

1) Who are you interviewing with? Executives? Wear the suit. Techs? Dockers and a tie-less button-down. A mix? Tie and sportcoat.
    2) What's the industry like? Silicon Valley start-up? You might be able to get away with shorts and flip-flops. Wall Street? Wear the sport coat even for the techs and suit for everyone else.
    3) Where is the interview? Off-site is generally a bit more casual than at a company office.

The key is to make everyone feel comfortable with you. Showing up to an interview at some places with some people while wearing a suit can cause more problems than it solves.

I do believe there are three rules for dressing though

1) Guys, wear a long-sleeve button-down with a t-shirt underneath. (Solid color or muted-pattern)
    2) Wear good shoes (no sneakers) and make sure they're clean. Rain and snow are no excuse, plan ahead. Keep a paper towel and a baby-wipe in a baggie in your pocket if you have to. (Everyone says they have attention to detail, shoes are an area where most people show they really don't)
    3) Bring or borrow a briefcase and keep a tie in it. If you notice everyone around is more formal, you can slip off to the bathroom and put the tie on.
  • Options
    RinzlerRinzler Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "...getting a job as a bulldozer driver in a construction company may not call for Hugo Boss..." icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Last interview I had I wore Dockers, Dress shirt, Black sneaks. I helped that it was an internal position posting and I knew 3 out of the 4 managers interviewing me, one I went out drinking with after a conference. It really depends on the company as well.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As a hiring manager or panel interviewer for years... Here are my basic recommendations.

1. Ask the organizer of the interview, "what is the preferred attire for the interview? My default is suit and tie but I want to fit the company's culture."
    2. If you wear a suit, follow these basic guidelines:
    A. Silk tie or no tie. No other options.
    B. It needs to fit.
    C. You have to be comfortable in it (wear at home to get used to it). It can't be a costume.
    D. Somber and not flashy. You don't want to come off arrogant. Same goes for cufflinks... If you can rock them without though fine, if not no.
    E. No tags visable. Looks like you are renting or going to take the clothes back.
    F. Cuff needs to stick out of the jacket. If a jacket doesn't fit right you look like a boy and not a man.
    3. Be prepared and but no briefcase. That always sets off pricing alarms to me. No strap portfolios are fine.
    4. Suite or no, no bold ANYTHING. Patterns. Bling. Anything.
    5. If wearing a watch: don't wear a smart watch. It will ALWAYS do something during an interview. Just no. Analog watch is fine if you want.
    6. NO FLASHY ANYTHING.

Hope that helps. Yes I went further than just the suit. But a poorly done suit to an interview sets off alarms in people.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I haven't been on a real interview in quite a while so this is a really interesting thread to read. I never considered that people put this much effort into thinking abut what to wear to an interview.

I was reading an article about General Motor's dress code which I think is brilliant. It's just two words - "Dress Appropriately".

I personally don't wear suits anymore because I don't see the need to do so. When I go on interviews or visit a customer, I just wear what I feel is appropriate and comfortable for me. Which is usually just a blazer or sports coat.

For me, right now, I own one suit which I only wear when going to a funeral.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My last job search I wore a button down (solid color) shirt, tie, sport coat, and the 511 version of dockers. I can't think of anyone I interviewed with that was dressed more formally than that. The only advice I can offer, is have a clean shirt in the car in case the work day causes your shirt to get dirty.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nothing says professionalism in an interview like a "Black Power!" T-shirt.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've always been of the opinion that it shows respect to wear a suit to your interview, especially if you're interviewing as a consultant or external hire.

I'll tell you this much though: now that I'm transitioning, shopping for my next interview is going to be hella interesting! Proper pencil skirts, some nice blouse, a sharp blazer or two and some sensible flats. My contract's fine through December, but I'd better start shopping right now :D
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have never used a suit. I go with Dockers, nice shirt and maybe a tie. I want to work with a company that selects me for my skill set and for who I am. If wearing a suit was that big of a factor I didn't get the job, I dont want to work there.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've always been of the opinion that it shows respect to wear a suit to your interview, especially if you're interviewing as a consultant or external hire.

I'll tell you this much though: now that I'm transitioning, shopping for my next interview is going to be hella interesting! Proper pencil skirts, some nice blouse, a sharp blazer or two and some sensible flats.

It depends. I work in financial services and I would never expect anyone to wear a suit when I interview them. Even as a consultant, I never wear a suit. A blazer with an occasional tie is as business formal as I believe is necessary. That would be the equivalent of a pencil skirt and blazer in your own example.

I do however expect when I interview someone to be well-groomed and dressed appropriately for the role that a candidate is looking for and the company that I am representing. And it doesn't always need to include a tie or jacket.

I think that people overthink this subject. Just dress appropriately in whatever attire you are comfortable to represent yourself.

I am wondering if perhaps some of the gentlemen here may not recognize the distinction between a suit jacket, blazer, and sports coat.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I still dont get people digging so hard for justification to not wear a suit to an interview. You have one right? Just wear it. Dry cleaning is $15, not at all significant for an occasional interview.

Heck, the only thing I ever wear my suit for is the occasional interview. If anything, it justifies buying the thing.