Options

Long term Goal - Suggestions?

AaronW1994AaronW1994 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently undertaking my Cyber Security placement year with a large corporation, which has so far been fantastic. I gained Security+, a few Microsoft Certs, and I am waiting on the result of PenTest+, all in the short time I have been here. I have been offered to continue with my placement in a part-time role, while I complete my degree, so 12 more months.

I will be moving into the Incident Response & Defence role, as it works almost in parallel with what I wish to pursue for a career (Pentesting/Red Teaming), and serves me well as I learn the inner workings of the business and how enterprises defend themselves.
Because of this, I want to set myself a long term goal to complete a big certification by the time I complete my final year of university. Of course, University work and job role will come first, but I would like something to study in my spare time. Thats why I am here, to get some recommendations for certs that people suggest I take a look at. Something to go hand in hand with the experience I am getting.

I was looking at OSCP and EWAPT as the long term goal, while possibly picking up CySa+ as a stop-gap to one of these two. Im open to suggestions and recommendations about what I should do!

Comments

• Options
    MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're going into IR/Blue Team, look at Sans FOR508 (if your company is willing to pay). Otherwise, OSCP is a great choice to start your pentesting career.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the CySA+ would align really well with your goals and daily routine.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    AaronW1994AaronW1994 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea I was thinking both OSCP and CySa+ would be great.
    Does anyone have experience with Linux+ as well? I was thinking of getting it as a stepping stone towards OSCP :)