Passed the SYO-501 recently

WillannemWillannem Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just barely squeaked by the SYO-501 (needed a 750 and got a 753) but that had to do with me barely studying for it more than the difficulty of the test. To give a little background, I completed my Network+ back in May and my A+ a few months before it. Quite a bit of the material in the Security+ has already been discussed in the A+ and Net+ but just with more detail in the Sec+. If you follow the recommended path, I think by the time you get to Security+, you'll have a better understanding of the concepts and an easier time picking things up. I just recommend adequate study time. I only gave it about 2 1/2 weeks. A solid month (2 hours a day) would have been better. My background in electronics has an IT bleed in that allowed me to pick up the information a bit better than someone fresh to the information, also. I shortchanged my study time for both the A+ and Network+ and passed those but I still wish I gave them more study time.

As for study materials, I used TestOut for study and uCertify for practice tests. I'm a student at WGU so I have access to both. They prefer you to use uCertify, but if you ask, they'll give you access to TestOut. I highly recommend TestOut. For one, the test didn't ask me any questions that TestOut didn't cover, material wise. Also, you get quite a bit of hands on practice with TestOut that you wouldn't normally get. Their simulators are pretty good. The only reason I used uCertify for practice tests was because I wanted to see how well TestOut would prepare me for the actual test and I figured a good measure would be to use practice tests from a different source than study material. As I said before, I think Testout did an adequate job. The only fault was with the amount of time I devoted to studying. 2 hours per day for a month should get you through the study material and a week or so with practice tests should prepare you for the exam. Of course, there are variables (background, distractions, etc.).

Anyways, I hope my input helps someone looking for information about the SYO-501 and study materials.

Comments

• phariuspharius Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Senior Member NCMember Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Brave_heartBrave_heart Junior Member Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gifCongratulations!
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA CCNA R&S, ITIL, Security+ ZZ9ZZAMember Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• D20D20 Member Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+
    2020 Goals: Pass VMware Foundations Exam
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Gaming Tech Expert Silicon Valley, CAMember Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,177 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    Certs Gained 2018: CCENT ,210-255 ( Cyber Security Operations)
    Upcoming: ICND2, CTT, 210-250 (Cyber Security Fundamentals)

Isaiah 28:10 - For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line; here a little, and there a little.
  • 2sppandey2sppandey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats for your achievement. I just passed my Network+ and starting Security+ now. Which book would you recommend?
  • WillannemWillannem Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2sppandey wrote: »
    Congrats for your achievement. I just passed my Network+ and starting Security+ now. Which book would you recommend?

Congrats on passing the Nework+. The Network+ materials cover a significant portion of the Security+ so you should absorb the material much easier than not having done the Network+.

I can't give you an honest opinion of what book to use. I used TestOut to prep for the course.
  • nicoletteannicolettean Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    2018 Goals - AWS Certified Solutions Architect

Linkedin Profile : https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-nicolette-454721109/
  • RinzlerRinzler Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, sir. icon_cheers.gif
  • jazz_01jazz_01 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited September 2019
    Congratulations! :)