Options

Company has concerns about job jumps

2»

Comments

• Options
    COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I completely agree with " barberj66 "

--> I will gladly give my loyalty to a company when they show be the same loyalty in return. If they are happy to put me through training and have realistic chances of promotion or at least interesting projects to be involved with then I'm happy to stay. If you want to give me nothing and expect me to be grateful and stay then I'm going to look after myself in the same way you are. Maybe a bit harsh but more times then not the company wouldn't think twice about dropping you like a stone if they need to.[/QUOTE]----<

I have the same philosophy, had one interview back in 2013 where I blatantly told the interviewing manager that if you could write down in paper that I will have the job for next 5 years, I will sign the paper that I won't be looking for a new job within next five years. I mean come on, if they don't have any project for you or budget for your position do you think they will keep you or you will stay with them? At the end of the day, we all have to pay mortgage, bills and so on. Loyalty goes both ways, its not a one way street.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @Chrisone: looks like you work with Windows admins who think they're security engineers, I've seen this type of delusion before
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am interviewing again and trying to leave this company. Basically I always end up in the same company for almost 2 years and than I'm gone
    There's a company right now I'm looking to get into but they mentioned the job jumps as its an issue for them but they're considering me anyway

Two years at a single company is about par for the course these days.

Tell them you will not jump ship if they guarantee you employment. What's good for the goose ought to be good for the gander.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • Options
    jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my personal experience, after 2 years, if I cant see a potential for advancement or career progression, then I start looking elsewhere.

Generally, the only way that Ive been able to get a significant increase in pay is by changing employers. Changing jobs every 2-3 years has worked to my advantage. I have been able to expand my knowledge and skillset in many different areas.

I would love to stay with my current employer. However, through observation, I have noticed that when folks in our IT/IS department are promoted, they often retain many of the duties of their old position and are expected to fullfil the new duties of the new role. If this were a temporary 3-6 month succession until the position is filled, that would be understandable. What ends up happenning is the old role is never filled and the person that was promoted ends up filling 2 roles.

Lol that does not incentivize anyone to seek promotion or advancement. Additionally, the process of applying for a different position internally vs externally is significantly more difficult.

I saw a internal position recently that peaked my interest. The requirements for applying internally: Get manager approval, Get VP approval, complete a direct skills to job requirement coorelation sheet, submit resume.

Requirements for applying externally:

Complete job application and submit resume.

lol
  • Options
    ecuisonecuison Member Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about that. I feel like my company feels the same way. I have more professional certs than my entire team (my manager doesn't even have any Professional Security certs), and I am the guy at the bottom of the ORG in my department (InfoSec). When my ISO stayed silent about endorsing me if I took the CRISC exam (Only has the CISM), I already knew that it was to keep me from growth. When I go and pass this TOGAF exam, it will be a wake up call.
    Accomplishments: B.S. - Business (Information Management) | CISSP | CCSP | TOGAF v9.2 Certified | Security + | Network +