Resume help->

2»

Comments

• Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds good- thanks Keenon
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I'd call or e-mail them (calling is first choice) and ask them if they have any more questions for you or if they need any more info from you...anything to let them know you are very much interested in the job. They probably get a lot of resumes and if you call back, you will be remembered over someone who just mailed it in and never followed up. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't look for someone to call back since it shows initiative. icon_cool.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    That is the key. To keep yourself in being noticed without being annoying.

My last job I am sure I received because I would stop by just in case the managers could see me since they weren't available other times. I honestly was just in the neighborhood on other interviews. I made sure to stress though that I was just checking and if it was inconvenient, that was OK.
  • Options
    Getting back to this question..
    CSRTech wrote:
    Question:

When sending your resume out in an email- What do you say in the email

Dear Sir/Madam,

Here is my resume for the job position of... etc...

What do you guys do/suggest

thanks!
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    CSRTech wrote:
    How about putting this at the top?

SUMMERY
    Professional IT technician with excellent desktop support skills. Proficient in troubleshooting hardware and software configurations.

If I read that on a resume, I would suggest an English class at a local community college. Unless, of course, you actually meant light, airy, and sunny.
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean- really do not see anything wrong w/ that. Short and to the point.

Also- what would be your suggestion then since you seem to be the all knowing in the english language.
  • Options
    Spelling and grammar errors on resumes are applicant killers.

From Merriam-Webster:

summery
    One entry found for summery.
    Main Entry: sum·mery
    Pronunciation: 's&-m&-rE, 's&m-rE
    Function: adjective
    : of, resembling, or fit for summer

summary
    4 entries found for summary.
    To select an entry, click on it.

Main Entry: 2sum·ma·ry
    Pronunciation: 's&-m&-rE also 's&m-rE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -ries
    : an abstract, abridgment, or compendium especially of a preceding discourse
  • Options
    Bubba-

Good point- however I did change once I saw my mistake .. didnt know what you were refering to in the previous post. Thanks.
  • Options
    You're wlcome.

I have worked at a rather large company (>100,000 employees) for about 15 years. Good verbal and written communications (especially written) seem to be a key factor in who gets promoted. A manager that I had 9 years ago is still in the same position. He struggles with spelling, and spends a lot of time with a dictionary. I give him credit for cleaning up his writing, but, even with a spell-checker, it costs him valuable time. Homonyms are the bane of a poor speller. Simple typos are usually forgiven if they aren't excessive, but using the wrong homonym is almost unforgivable.

The Elements of Style is a small, inexpensive book that can be a lifesaver. I don't know if it is still available, but I also have The Elements of E-Mail Style.
  • Options
    Yeah very true- I always triple check before sending anything out and have it proof read.
  • Options
    Something I noticed the other day..

I went to apply for a job and they wanted me to upload my resume. I went to do it and when it came up it was plain text. However the layout was awful- it was not like it was shown in Word.

Is this how it would show up if HR opens them up? I assume they do not always open them as .doc's. Is their a way I can make it so when it comes up as plain text it is formatted in a clear way?

Thanks..
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lots of sites have this type of thing. It would be good for you to maintain a plain text copy of your resume on hand IMO just for this. I have done IT support for recruiting companies before, and I think converting to plaintext just simply works better with the software used to keep track with job candidates, honestly.

There is a site (I think monster?) where you can upload your word resume, and it will reformat it for you in plain text. Take that and clean it up, and there you go.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I have always agreed paying someone to write the resume for you is the best option.
  • Options
    I made the text copy and will include that with the .doc resume when I send them out. Thanks.
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:
    I have always agreed paying someone to write the resume for you is the best option.

Do you use a company? And how much did you pay?
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    sharptech wrote:
    garv221 wrote:

Do you use a company? And how much did you pay?

Sorry, I have never paid anyone to build me a resume in the past. If I needed a resume today, I would pay someone. I spent so much time working on my resume 3 years ago. I bet I easily spent 80 hours perfecting, changing and researching articles over a period of a month. I'm not sure on the companies out there but I did find one I liked, it was $100.00 ~$200.00 for them to write it. They know the market, what styles are good, what employers want and they do an excellent job. I still have nightmares about resumes from time to time.
  • Options
    Yeah - I have finished mine and it is doing well- getting me the interviews etc..
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good deal, glad to hear that.

Good luck
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    Thanks Badger - I have come a long way since this thread first started- thanks for all your help and everyone else's as well!
  • Options
    When sending out a resume/cover letter, what type of paper should the cover letter be printed on?
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    For neat, professional appearance, I'd say medium weight bond paper. But with today's automation, they may require standard white.
  • Options
    Sounds good Dan- picked up some heavier paper- should work good- thanks.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I had someone who does a lot of resumes take a look at mine and re-work it. Here it is - let me know what you think.

The only thing im worried about is certifications on the bottom- however it is listed on top - well let me know. - Thanks!

John Doe
    xxxx
    xxx
    (xxx) xxx-xxxx
    xxx@.com

IT Technician with 6 years of desktop support experience, including 3 years supporting 800+ workstations in a Windows environment for a college campus

Skills Summary:

• 6 years of desktop support experience in the education sector
    • 3 years of experience supporting 800+ workstations in a Windows environment
    • Expert in the diagnosis and replacement of problematic PC hardware components, with a working knowledge of Macs
    • Highly skilled at communicating with faculty, staff, and students
    • Experienced consultant regarding purchasing decisions related to hardware, software, and peripherals in support of university programs
    • Experienced at managing an $80K project involving the rollout of 200+ computers
    • Possess CompTIA A+ certification
    • Experienced at managing and training Student Technicians

Professional Experience:

work here(xxx, NY) 2000 - Present
    Lead IT Technician (2003-Present)

A private college with over 1K staff and faculty and over 3K students

• Support 800+ workstations in a Windows environment (95/98/NT/2000/XP) with a team of 25 Administrators and Technicians
    • Supervise and train over 20+ Student Technicians and work-study students
    • Advise all departments in the purchase of all new computer hardware, software, and peripherals in support of university programs and make purchases for IT department
    • Managed an $80K project involving the rollout of 200+ computers
    • Perform routine software updates and patches on workstations and diagnose and replace problem hardware components
    • Manage the entire campus inventory of 1.5K computers
    • Maintain all components of an Ethernet network, including jacks, patch panels, and switches

Lead Student Technician (2000-2003)

• Provided desktop computer support for the 1,500 student body
    • Took all phone calls from students and then diagnosed problems and troubleshot until fixed
    • Held training sessions for Resident Assistants to help students in their rooms w/ computer problems
    • Upgraded university network by configuring 1,000 LAN workstations
    • Diagnosed over 500 faculty computers and replaced hardware and software

Certifications:

CompTIA A+ Certified Professional

Education and Training:

B.A., Communications, xxx (xxx, NY) 2004 GPA: 3.52
  • Options
    Hey guys - here is the updated resume - looks better in .doc format, but wanted to get opinions. I have applied to about 8-10 places and so far only one call back. I had Monster do the resume - and some of the jobs applied to I def. thought I would of got called back. Anything you guys can see in the resume that is not good? (sorry for the watermarks used a demo program)

http

http

Thanks