Options

Resume help->

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone- going to post my resume for any tips/pointers before sending out.

Currently working as an IT Tech at a University- however looking to go to a company etc..

I pasted from word so the format will be a little off- however you get the idea. Also ommited some personal information- however just looking for ideas or if this is good enough etc..- thanks!

(Name)
OBJECTIVE
To work in a technology based field that will continue to strengthen and hone my knowledge as a computer technician, as well as foster the growth of new skills in information technology
EXPERIENCE
2003-Present College
Lead IT Technician
* Setup and configure all computers on campus.
* Troubleshooting Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP platforms
* Repair and maintenance of printers.
* Repair and maintenance of computers.
* Maintain hubs, routers, and wiring.
* Supervisor of all student technicians.
* Worked with the Network Administrator to resolve problems.
2000-2003 College
Lead Student Technician
* Assist students and faculty with computer issues.
* Set up and configure faculty computers.
* Repair and maintenance of computers.
* Help all students with technology concerns they have.
2003-2004 Circuit City
Sales Associate
* Work in technology reaching high sales.
* Help customers make purchasing decisions.
* Work with people in a stable environment.
EDUCATION
2000-Present
* B.A., Communications – Graduation May 2004.
* Minor in Psychology.
* Deans list: fall 2001, spring 2002, fall 2002, spring 2003, fall 2003.
* Cumulative Grade Point Average: 3.52.
CERTIFICATIONS
* A+ Certified

Comments

• Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    A lot of people suggest that you don't use an objective because it narrows the scope of positions you will fit into. If you think this is reasonable, you might want to look into using a headline statement. it's just a quick thing that says what you are. Do a google search for it.

Also, i think a lot of HR people looking at your resume might completely miss the A+ cert because of it's positioning. Some of the jobs you might go for may require an A+, so that is not something you can afford to have missed. Might want to toy around with the placement. Just my 2 cents.

GOOD LUCK :D
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems

Where would you put the Certification part? On top? or by experience?

I will look into the headline as well- thanks!
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What I Like to do is have a short summary sentence at the top. I agree about the Cert, if you only have the A+ put it at the top to be seen, perhaps under core competency. I would show more scope to give an idea just how much responsibility you have. I've talked about that before recently, on some other resume posts. In all honesty I think many of the statements are weak, in that they don’t do much more than make a list. It should give insight into the skill you have.

for example "Set up and configure faculty computers."
    what is the real skill you are trying to convey? Is it your ability to install and update software, configure hardware and add machines to the LAN in support of the faculty? Or that you helped that faculty? Expand a little more on the skill. Additionally, since it is a past job, it should read in the past tense.

Here are few examples
    • Extensive knowledge of PC hardware components, able to diagnose and replace problem components quickly minimizing down time.
    • Provided dedicated computer support for faculty consisting of 30 workstations. Received numerous letters of recommendations for support.
    • Consulted as technical expert in the purchases of all new computer hardware, software and peripherals in support of university programs.
    • Streamlined routine software updates and patches on workstations reduced downtime by 12%.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    Badger-

Excellent post! Thanks for the advice- I will get to updating this!

I know it was weak at first that is why I am asking help- I will revise soon and then let me know how it is- thanks for the replys!
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I took the advice of johnnyg5646 and Googled "How to start a resume" and I found this one written by Peter Vogt:

You can start your resume with a bang by featuring a profile -- also known as a summary -- section immediately beneath your contact information. The idea is to succinctly and clearly communicate to employers the very best you have to offer, your cream of the crop skills, traits and accomplishments. Think of it as the CliffsNotes version or executive summary of your full resume. It's what you want readers to remember about you if they remember nothing else.

There is a lot more here that I didn't post, but here is the link if you want to read it: http://www.youngmoney.com/careers/monstertrak/job_hunt/077

He also mentions how most people waste the first several lines of their resume with drivel...and that's when he talks about the profile. I'm thinking of rewriting my resume as soon as I post this...

As for your A+, I have mine listed right below my objective (which will change here very soon).

Also, remember, you can use that Comptia A+ Logo, and I did by putting it right in the resume along with MCP and CST and then listing all 3 below it. Those images will grab someone's attention very quickly.

Good luck! :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    This is an older one I have used. After my contact info
    Summary
    Highly self-motivated professional applications instructor with five years of combined experience in corporate and military environments. Recognized and sought-after technical expertise, bringing a wealth of knowledge and highest levels of enthusiasm to all projects undertaken. Possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills and the ability to incorporate ingenuity with proficiency to ensure successful training efforts.

After my summary I like to list in a double colum format 8 Core Competencies in a bullet format. In my experience section after I state the company and dates, I have the job title followed by 3 to 4 lines a brief discription of duties. then list in bullet format specific skills and achievements.

I think I may put the logo on next time though. I like that Idea. Use a fine grade paper so it feels different and a quality color printer.
    Badger
    _________
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replys! Here is my updated resume-

Badger- used your ideas- reworded some- they fit my job description perfect.

JP- Used the Comptia logo where my certification is.

I used an objective and not a summery for a few reasons-

1. I have a cover letter which explains what a summery would and a lot more.

2. It would be more than one page- and that is frowned upon. w/ the objective I have one full page.

Here is the updated resume: Let me know what you think

John Doe
    AAA
    Thisplace NY, 11111
    Phone: (555) 555-5555
    Email: aa@aa.edu
    OBJECTIVE
    A position in IT support that will utilize my education and strong hardware/software troubleshooting skills.
    CERTIFICATIONS(logo here)

EXPERIENCE
    2003-Present College of This Place ff, NY
    Lead IT Technician
    * Provide dedicated computer support for faculty consisting of 100+ workstations
    * Consult as a technical expert in the purchases of all new computer hardware, software and peripherals in support of university programs
    * Perform routine software updates and patches on workstations
    * Extensive knowledge of PC hardware components, and able to diagnose and replace problem components quickly
    2000-2003 College of This Place ff, NY
    Lead Student Technician
    * Provided computer support for the 500+ student body.
    * Upgraded university network by configuring all LAN workstations
    * Diagnosed faculty computers and replaced hardware and software
    * Supervised all work-study students
    2003-2004 Circuit City ff, NY
    Sales Associate
    * Top salesman in the techonology department
    * Assist customers in making informed decisions regarding computers
    * Helped customers make purchasing decisions
    * Was an efficient team member who worked effectively with others
    EDUCATION
    2000-2004 College of This Place ff, NY
    * B.A., Communications – Graduation May 2004
    * Deans list: fall 2001, spring 2002, fall 2002, spring 2003, fall 2003
    * Cumulative Grade Point Average: 3.52
  • Options
    Here is a picture of what it looks like on word..

res3xq.jpg

Should I put the words A+ certified next to the logo since it is small w/in the logo? - thanks!
  • Options
    I don't know if it is good or bad, but I put the date that I was certified on mine also, if it's fairly new, it might be bad, but if it is a few years old, then it would show you've been involved and have experience...I guess it's all in how it's looked at.

Mine is only 17 months old, but I listed the date I received it anyway, along with others I received...to me it shows a timeline and that you are constantly improving. I start my training back in October of 2004 and finsihed the whole program in January 2006 (had A+ in January of 2005) and now I am back to school going for a bachelors degree...But enough about me (sorry)...I would just think about listing when you received the cert...I also listed my CompTIA ID # on it, just in case someone wanted to verify that I did actually pass and did not just list it...That may be overkill on my part and I am updating my resume now anyway.

Other than that, it looks god from my end...Good Luck!!! :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    JP-

Thanks- I will list the date on I recieved it as well- good idea.. thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    John, i tryed to call you but couldnt get through? If i'm in your area ill drop bye, is 5D the buliding number? whats the apartment number?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Funny ed icon_cool.gif

Updated the picture to reflect new changes- put the date I recieved the certification.
  • Options
    Its getting there, but still needs to be fine tuned.
    Need to fix some grammar, put the correct tense
    Spell check --- Top salesman in the techonology department - spelling is a sure killer.
    This one needs some work - does not sound right, its missing something.
    I will give some of these others some thought and post when I can I'm a little tired right now. I usually go through many rewrites to get it right. Keep playing with the sentences. Put it aside for a little while, a day, and come back to it with a fresh mind and read it out loud. Then from the bottom up. You will pick up on things.
    The more you bleed on this the better it gets.
    Badger
    _________
  • Options
    Thanks Badger- I should of seen my spelling mistake :P

Let me know what you come up w/ and I will look at it later and do a fine tune - thanks again!
  • Options
    Back to the resume after a few days off...

My objective "A position in IT support that will utilize my education and strong hardware/software troubleshooting skills" -

Well I really do not like it- seems lame- any suggestions?

Fixed up a few things to clean it up today- think the objective needs work..
  • Options
    How about putting this at the top?

SUMMERY
    Professional IT technician with excellent desktop support skills. Proficient in troubleshooting hardware and software configurations.
  • Options
    Question:

When sending your resume out in an email- what do you usual do- send as a .doc or copy/paste it in the email...

also do you say anything in the email such as- to whom it may concern: etc.. etc.. etc..

thanks!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Unless asked for a specific format, I always send my resume as a PDF. Text is crappy, and Word files can be infected with macro virii and such.

If you need a free PDF converter program, try CutePDF (www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/Writer.asp). It comes with GPL Ghostscript 8.15, but it works just fine with version 8.50 available at sourceforge.net.
  • Options
    Great idea- thanks!
  • Options
    akshunjakshunj Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just skimmed the thread briefly but I saw some bad resume stuff and also a major no no in a resume. Whoever it was, lose the comptia logo in the resume, major no no. Also, always send your resume in Word or as Word and PDF but never PDF only.

If I have a chance, I'll post a professional resume minus all the guy's personal info. My wife is a career coach and does this stuff for a living.

One thing I notice is all the resume info here sound like job descriptions to me. You need a value proposition and sell yourself to the person or company you want to work for.

What did you do where you used to work?

Ex. During FY 04, I saved Company X $4,000 a year by integrating our three T1 lines to a single frame relay.

Ex. While in the process of implementing our new application server, I discovered Company X could save $12,000 yearly by using a web hosting service vs. hosting our own site.

You need specific dollar figures when citing savings, no generalizations. What did your boss say about you during your performance reviews?

Use things you have in writing, emails, performance reviews, etc. etc.

Also, use buzzwords you see on dice.com or monster.com. What does the ideal job you are seeking sound like? Used key phrases and buzzwords from that job posting to help tune your resume.

I gotta run, but I'll post back tomorrow with the sample resume. I'll also be glad to answer as much as I can for you guys. Take care.
  • Options
    akshunj wrote:
    I just skimmed the thread briefly but I saw some bad resume stuff and also a major no no in a resume. Whoever it was, lose the comptia logo in the resume, major no no. Also, always send your resume in Word or as Word and PDF but never PDF only.

Why is it a "major no-no" to use the CompTIA logo on a resume? When you pass the exam, you have the legal right to use it. Also, it is a great attention grabber if someone just glances at a resume, that logo would stand out very nicely and they may actually look at it and have something else catch their eye than if it was just text. Don't professional always tell you that you need to be different to be noticed? I was the one who used (and still uses) them in my resume. I have CompTIA A+ and Microsoft MCP logos both on it, and will be adding Network+ too.

Also, I heard from an HR man that it is better, and sometimes considered best, to copy and paste your resume into an e-mail and send it right to the HR Manager. A lot of them do not open attachments for fear of viruses and they don't know who is sending what to them, so to make sure thay at least give it a look is to copy & paste it.

Just a couple of thoughts I had...
  • Options
    Aks- would be nice to see the resume example..

However I agree w/ jp- using the comptia logo or mcp etc is not a bad idea and does grab the attention of HR or whoever is viewing the resume.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    jpeezy55 wrote:
    Also, I heard from an HR man that it is better, and sometimes considered best, to copy and paste your resume into an e-mail and send it right to the HR Manager. A lot of them do not open attachments for fear of viruses and they don't know who is sending what to them, so to make sure thay at least give it a look is to copy & paste it.
    I've never had anyone request a plain-text version of my resume for fear of opening a PDF attachment, but your point is quite valid.

Having a plain-text copy of a resume can also make it much easier for headhunters to scan/parse the resume into a database. Special software must be used to read resumes in Word and PDF format. However, I would assume that such software is common and inexpensive nowadays, so using these formats should not be an inconvenience to the scanner.
  • Options
    hey sorry it took so long to get back. Someone in the thread responded about the comptia logo.. No doubt you earned your cert. and are entitled to say so but clip art and logos in a resume is just a bad move, plain and simple. It's unprofessional. Ask a seasoned recruiter in your HR department if you work in a professional environment.

This isn't the best resume because this guy doesn't exactly have a long work history. This is a good basic format to follow, and will get you interviews assuming you don't just punch in your job description. Remember, sell yourself through your achievements and on the job performance.

Nobody cares about your objective (nonsense) or about your hobbies, they want to know what you will bring to the compnay in terms of experience and job performance.

If you want to get the BEST resume advice, read resume magic by Susan Whitcomb. She just finished writing my resume personally and it was worth every penny.

anyway, no way to attach files on this forum? I have to find somewhere to host this file. I'll post back... grrrr..[/url]
  • Options
    akshunj wrote:
    hey sorry it took so long to get back. Someone in the thread responded about the comptia logo.. No doubt you earned your cert. and are entitled to say so but clip art and logos in a resume is just a bad move, plain and simple. It's unprofessional. Ask a seasoned recruiter in your HR department if you work in a professional environment.

If you want to get the BEST resume advice, read resume magic by Susan Whitcomb. She just finished writing my resume personally and it was worth every penny.

Well, I hate to start a debate here, icon_wink.gif but I had to do some research:

First off, you are giving advice on resume writing when it sounds like you did not even write your own, you paid some professional to write it for you.

Second, back to the debate of a logo in a resume:

The following is something that was taken directly from the book written by Susan Britton Whitcomb (2006) "Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer" and is an excerpt from the free chapter that is available online:

Using a graphic worked for Jennifer.
    Jennifer Marsden, a recent graduate, used this graphic of a mortar and pestle for her pharmaceutical sales search. It gives the impression of industry identification . . . despite the fact that Jennifer had no experience in pharmaceutical sales. The goal statement was developed from researching Web pages of pharmaceutical companies.

Goal: Pharmaceutical sales position with a research-driven organization committed to manufacturing and marketing products that preserve and improve the quality of human life.

Visual appeal is a HUGE factor in successful résumé design. Consistent formatting and use of a tasteful graphic can help accomplish the first step in the employer's "buying" process: Get Your Reader's Attention!
    Chapter 8, "Visual Artistry: The Missing Link," will equip you with the complete "how-to's" on design, layout, and format tweaking for maximum visual appeal. Don't miss this chapter.

The graphic did not come through on here, but it is the picture you always see hanging outside of a pharmacy...a logo if you will. But, the person who wrote your resume also advocates using graphics and logos to get the reader's attention, so how can you say it is a big no-no when someone, who you value so highly that you paid to write your resume, clearly writes in her own book that it is a very effective way to get the reader's attention? Just curious... icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    Hey what can I say if it's in her book then I can't argue with that. Personally, I think it's unprofessional looking but you know what is said about opinions...

I did write my own resume and it was a good one, I received many responses and compliments for it. Due to layoffs where I work (not me thank God) and my paranoia I opted to have it done professionally. I also went out and dropped $1k on a Brooks Brothers suit, new shoes, a few ties, etc. etc.. Was the one I already had good enough? I'm sure but I felt I needed to be ready, and better prepared. When I said it was worth every penny to me, it was for sanity. My career field is very competitve and also in my location, there are some very talented people. All that will get me in the door, you need something to set yourself apart from everyone else with a BSEE and networking certs. I felt the revamped resume and new attire would just be more points for me.

As for the resume, I finally was able to get it hosted. This guy doesn't have the greatest credentials, but the format works. Remember, don't just put your job description in there. Show what you've accomplished and make sure you can prove it. Personally, I'd leave out the logos.

Also, sorry if I came across as a jerk to anyone. I saw the resume thread and couldn't help but jump in. I know I'm n00b here so I hope I haven't broken forum netiquette. Take care, I'll check back in when I can.

http://people.delphiforums.com/akshunj/ralph_nader.doc[/url]
  • Options
    akshunj wrote:
    Hey what can I say if it's in her book then I can't argue with that. Personally, I think it's unprofessional looking but you know what is said about opinions...

You know it, they are just like ________, everyone has one and they usually stink! icon_lol.gif (I'm sure you guys can fill in the blank!)

Anyway, no need to apologize for anything, a little debate is good for everyone, keeps the juices flowing and shows that people are passionate and care about things. I'm in the middle of an Argument & Research class (since I am back in school after 19 years for my BS in Info Systems) and I think I was just putting my lessons to good use... icon_wink.gif

I'll guess that after all you did, it landed you a decent job somewhere? 1K for a suit...I don't know that I could do that...I only wear one to weddings & funerals and that's it. Long sleeve shirt & tie for interviews for me... icon_rolleyes.gif

Have a good one! :)
  • Options
    Question for you guys..

When sending out the resume... do you wait for a call back or do you send them an email after a week asking if they recieved it and or interested...or something along those lines?

Just want some info about how you go about applying for jobs etc..

thanks!
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I am quite interested in this response, since I am currently looking for a new job. I usually wait for the call back
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CSRTech wrote:
    Question for you guys..

When sending out the resume... do you wait for a call back or do you send them an email after a week asking if they recieved it and or interested...or something along those lines?

Just want some info about how you go about applying for jobs etc..

thanks!

its fine to follow up after emailing a resume, usually about a week or so either a phone call or another email is good.. depending on the situation the call works better, as you can feel them out and use some "charm" that you can't get across in an email
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons