MCSA 2016 Prep

JohanMJohanM Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I am new to the board and want to see if I can Perhaps get some assistance on exam prep for MCSA /SE

I wrote my MCSA 70-740 exam today and failed said exam which was kind of a shocker to me since I felt I did all the prep I could do for this exam I have the book from Microsoft I have Sybex test engine guide and worked on a VM I created with the image for Server 2016 also I have roughly a years worth of experience  in field also it's not that I am new to the Microsft exam field I did a diploma in Network systems.

Since I went to "write" today I felt like I barely knew what was going on in that exam.

If there is someone who can perhaps assist me in giving me a few pointers on how to properly retain this information it would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• _netmon_netmon Level 99 Wizard Mod Posts: 878 Mod
    edited September 2019
    Welcome to Tech Exams!

Don't be disheartened on failing your exam. All of us experience it at one or more times in our lives and it's a way of progressing and learning from your mistakes.

I am currently on route for my MCSA for Server 2016 and failed the 70-740 back in March. It's a tough exam and covers a lot of ground. The best way of learning (and remembering) the topics are through combined resources. This is what I would personally suggest:

1)
    Print off the latest exam objectives here and use them as a checklist.
    2) Use a book to cover the basics and start to understand the topics (I prefer the official Exam Ref by Craig Zacker).
    3) Use a video course to fill in the gaps from the books (I would highly recommend CBT Nuggets. You pay a monthly subscription but get full access to all video courses, custom labs and practice tests).
    4) Depending on your level of experience with Server 2016, I would recommend creating your own labs if you have the time. Practice setting up clusters and Hyper-V hosts and just playing around with the technologies.
    5) Finally use practice tests. For these I'd recommend MeasureUp. This allows you to customise your tests to focus on particular objectives or test yourself in 'real exam simulations'.
    6) Anything you get wrong, write it down. Look at the explanations and use MS Docs to go over anything you are still unsure about.

I hope this helps. This is my personal strategy for tackling this exam. I failed before due to not using any labs (and I didn't have any experience in Server environments at all!). Got my retake on the 27th. Hopefully this time around I should be good :smile: Good luck with your MCSA journey!
    2020 goals: Server 2016 MCSA/MCSE (70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744), Powershell training
    2021 goals: RHCSA/RHCE, AWS, Python training

Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • JohanMJohanM Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you this actually helps a lot especially the exam objectives page i appreciate it  :) 
    No problem. What was your score on the 740 by the way?
    2020 goals: Server 2016 MCSA/MCSE (70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744), Powershell training

Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
    My score was just slightly above 600, and most of that ws on pure luck alone.
    Ah you were close then. I would advise getting your retake booked sooner rather than later while you have the knowledge in your head. Focus on your weak areas and when you start hitting high scores in the practice tests you should be ready.

I'll try using that Measure UP that you mentioned, but clearly I need to revisit the theoretical knowledge of the Book.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JohanM said:
    Hi I am new to the board and want to see if I can Perhaps get some assistance on exam prep for MCSA /SE

I wrote my MCSA 70-740 exam today and failed said exam which was kind of a shocker to me since I felt I did all the prep I could do for this exam I have the book from Microsoft I have Sybex test engine guide and worked on a VM I created with the image for Server 2016 also I have roughly a years worth of experience  in field also it's not that I am new to the Microsft exam field I did a diploma in Network systems.

Since I went to "write" today I felt like I barely knew what was going on in that exam.

If there is someone who can perhaps assist me in giving me a few pointers on how to properly retain this information it would be much appreciated. 
    If it helps the MCSA 2016 PDF server books are on sale here:
    https://community.infosecinstitute.com/discussion/136144/humble-bundle-includes-mcsa-windows-server-2016-70-740-741-and-742-study-guides-20-days-from-now#Item_4
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    @JohanM This might help you. I stumbled across someones flash cards for the 70-740.

https://quizlet.com/PythonAlerts_/folders/mcsa-70-740-flash-cards/sets

• advanex1advanex1 CASP, MCSA 2016, MCSA 2012, CCNA, Security+, Network+, Project+, Server+ Member Posts: 364 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my experience with the MCSA program and exams, you need to make sure you have an understanding of powershell as well. As you progress through these exams it will become more apparent on test day. I'd recommend spending some time watching some videos and exploring the cmdlets for things like Hyper-V or New-VM, Get-VM*, Set-VM*, as well as knowing how to set up some NLB Clustering, etc.. Understand the parameter sets and how they work. If you can get an idea of some of the basic cmdlets.. you'll be able to piece answers together better in the long run.
    Order of Certifications to come: CISM, C|EH, CISA
    2019 certification tests taken: CISSP (Passed - awaiting endorsement), MCSA: 2016 (Passed), CCNA (Re-certification - Passed)
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,775 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I took the 740 I realized I had not labbed enough in the core version. I recall some questions about command line and powershell that I was familiar with but didn't really know the commands.

Most importantly you have taken the test once so you know what to expect. Just keep working towards it.