MCSA 2016 Prep

JohanMJohanM Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I am new to the board and want to see if I can Perhaps get some assistance on exam prep for MCSA /SE

I wrote my MCSA 70-740 exam today and failed said exam which was kind of a shocker to me since I felt I did all the prep I could do for this exam I have the book from Microsoft I have Sybex test engine guide and worked on a VM I created with the image for Server 2016 also I have roughly a years worth of experience  in field also it's not that I am new to the Microsft exam field I did a diploma in Network systems.

Since I went to "write" today I felt like I barely knew what was going on in that exam.

If there is someone who can perhaps assist me in giving me a few pointers on how to properly retain this information it would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• JohanMJohanM Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you this actually helps a lot especially the exam objectives page i appreciate it  :) 
    My score was just slightly above 600, and most of that ws on pure luck alone.
    I'll try using that Measure UP that you mentioned, but clearly I need to revisit the theoretical knowledge of the Book.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JohanM said:
    Hi I am new to the board and want to see if I can Perhaps get some assistance on exam prep for MCSA /SE

I wrote my MCSA 70-740 exam today and failed said exam which was kind of a shocker to me since I felt I did all the prep I could do for this exam I have the book from Microsoft I have Sybex test engine guide and worked on a VM I created with the image for Server 2016 also I have roughly a years worth of experience  in field also it's not that I am new to the Microsft exam field I did a diploma in Network systems.

Since I went to "write" today I felt like I barely knew what was going on in that exam.

If there is someone who can perhaps assist me in giving me a few pointers on how to properly retain this information it would be much appreciated. 
    If it helps the MCSA 2016 PDF server books are on sale here:
    https://community.infosecinstitute.com/discussion/136144/humble-bundle-includes-mcsa-windows-server-2016-70-740-741-and-742-study-guides-20-days-from-now#Item_4
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my experience with the MCSA program and exams, you need to make sure you have an understanding of powershell as well. As you progress through these exams it will become more apparent on test day. I'd recommend spending some time watching some videos and exploring the cmdlets for things like Hyper-V or New-VM, Get-VM*, Set-VM*, as well as knowing how to set up some NLB Clustering, etc.. Understand the parameter sets and how they work. If you can get an idea of some of the basic cmdlets.. you'll be able to piece answers together better in the long run.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I took the 740 I realized I had not labbed enough in the core version. I recall some questions about command line and powershell that I was familiar with but didn't really know the commands.

Most importantly you have taken the test once so you know what to expect. Just keep working towards it.