Moving to sysadmin

kosta-kkosta-k Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
need your advice what else need to learn in case of getting to sysadmin.
Actually have about 5 years of IT support experience and now moved to new company  - some kind of senior IT support position.
Current knowledge - CCNA RS, Windows server 2012/2016 ( 70-410,411,412 and 70-740,741,742 books read and practiced), exchange 2016 ( basic stuff - like make it send and receive emails), vmware vsphere esxi (#2V0-620 and VCP6-DCV books read + practice), microsoft 365(70-346-347 exams books read/practice a little), azure az-103 exam book read.
So should I go deep in some of aspects of my current knowledge or learn more? Planning to learn AWS ( probably Architect - Associate) and maybe SCCM. 

Comments

• _netmon_netmon Level 99 Wizard Mod Posts: 882 Mod
    Powershell
    2020 goals: Server 2016 MCSA/MCSE (70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744), Powershell training
    2021 goals: RHCSA/RHCE, AWS, Python training

Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • LonerVampLonerVamp OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS SAA, CCSK Member Posts: 471 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I got nothing for you, as you have a broad range right there. I'd say, do good work at your current company, focus on their priorities. AWS is good.

For being a sysadmin, just make sure things work, are resilient, meet security needs (don't run as local admin if you don't need to, etc). And don't be a cowboy.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS SA-A, CCSK
    2020 goals: AWS Security Specialty, AWAE or SLAE, CISSP-ISSAP?
  • kosta-kkosta-k Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thank you.
    so powershell and aws on the way...and will go deeper for new job technologies.

• kosta-kkosta-k Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Should I go deeper with all stuff or general knowledge is enough for starting as junior sysadmin or learn more and more? 
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir U shud know u're frm IT!! Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    System admin  covers broad range of technologies and it is very difficult to learn all of it.  I will say check what  software your company is using and have a good working-hands on knowledge of it.
    Then have a general knowledge of all the skills  required from a typical system admin that is networking,firewall, scripting, windows\linux server and so on.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”