Internal promotion but no pay raise

loss4words83loss4words83 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this. I am currently working in a Helpdesk team in a supervisor/escalation role. I am now being promoted to the IT Operations team with a lot more responsibilities (SCCM, VMWare, AD/GPO, Azure, NetApp). After asking for a salary adjustments due to added responsibilities I was told that it was not possible due to COVID (company did lose money at the beginning of pandemic but is back on track and doing well currently). New manager said he will look into giving me extra stock options (one time company stock buy worth around 3% my salary), but that didn't sound too enticing to me.

I guess I can ask again a in year or two for the salary adjustment again when hopefully the world gets back to normal, but I'm sure from their end they will not want to do it since I'm doing the work already.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the situation and if you had some advice?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    New manager said he will look into giving me extra ...

Your manager already knows what s/he can and can't give you. This sort of thing is discussed endlessly in management meetings under the category of "retaining employees." You will need to consider all other aspects of your new position and decide if your job it still worth doing despite the lack of an immediate salary increase. If not, start looking elsewhere.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah @loss4words83 I would start looking elsewhere because. Those change in titles without pay is dangerous. If they don't pay you upfront when you are promoted and you start doing the work. They likely won't pay you for work they can get you to do for free. I would update my resume and start job hunting.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Wow, what a crock of manure. Start looking for another job if the company has a mindset like that one..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited March 2021
    @loss4words83

You obviously know your situation better than all of us combine.  With that said (and I am working off of limited info) I would consider learning as much as you can for the next year in the role and then leverage it into a higher level OPS position. 

I guess my first question is do you even like the new role?
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lots of companies haven’t given promotions or pay increases in the last 12 months, well done on getting one of them plus some stock in lieu of the other.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • gbutlergbutler Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited March 2021

Congratulations first on your new role.
    I would like to say that based on your previous role(which is not clear), the new role seems to have lot of learning curve, with new skills you get a nice pay after one year of experience.
    If you really feel money your problem then you are open to find new job.

at  last i would like to say "Anyone can take your tools and techniques but not your skills!"

Good luck!
    Achieved : GCIH, CEH
    Certification Goals :  ECCPT, OSCP, CISSP, CCNA CyberOps, CCIE, WIFU

• greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    edited April 2021
    Interesting situation, the stocks are good but that kind of behavior by companies are red flags to me. In this case the promotion should have come with a raise. But its good that you get to work with all those technologies. Just add them to your resume just incase things don't work out.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey guys,

I am now being promoted to the IT Operations team with a lot more responsibilities (SCCM, VMWare, AD/GPO, Azure, NetApp).

I guess I can ask again a in year or two for the salary adjustment again when hopefully the world gets back to normal, but I'm sure from their end they will not want to do it since I'm doing the work already.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the situation and if you had some advice?
    In a year or two, use that experience to start applying for positions elsewhere. See if those skills are valued elsewhere. You could ask for a raise then, but I would advise against using a position elsewhere as leverage for get a raise, while you may get the raise, in the long run it rarely works out, they will look to replace you soon as it convenience for them to do so. If the market values your skills significantly more than your current employer, then it's time to make a change. Also you may want to consider industries that were not affected or even benefits from the current pandemic situation to insulate yourself against future employment disruptions. . 

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, what a crock of manure. Start looking for another job if the company has a mindset like that one..

I agree - time to look elsewhere. I did the same thing a couple of decades ago, the big guy kept avoiding me until i submitted my letter of resignation. Then ...* POOF* - i was offered a raise but i didn't care, i left and never looked back. There is opportunity out there...just need to find it.
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a similar situation happen to me.  It took me 18 months to receive the increase in pay. Ultimately, I think it helped me transition to other internal roles in the company though.