Options

Caffiene: How do you rank?

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
So, we're all IT people. . . well, except for you. (You know who you are.) And we all suck back coffee like they'd passed a law against it. So, how much is enough for you? My current, daily caffeine-intake is as follows:
    At least two cups of Löffbergs Lila Skånerost Coffee. (Dark,
dark, DARK arabica blend.)
    A glass of water with
UMPH for a pick-me-up in the afternoon.
    A couple of applications of
Spazzstick. (Mint-flavored)
    I like to endulge in the sugar-free variant of
Bawls from time to time.
    And, of course, I start the day with a nice, refreshing
shower.

And yes, I do actually use these things. So, where do you fall on the caffeine scale? What's your favorite caffeinated product? (Do you know anyone who sells wholesale?)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Interesting diet icon_eek.gif

I used to drink at least 10 cups of coffee a day, now only 4 or so, and usually 2 Red Bulls. When I was working 'in the field' spend much of my time on the road, you'd find a mix of all sorts of computer and networking components, and empty red bull cans in the trunk of my car. So I guess it's fair to say that's my favorite caffeinated product, coffee being the runner-up.

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/images/TE_energy_drink.jpg
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I think the soap is absolutly ridiculous to be honest. I can't believe the caffeine actually makes it into your skin enough with running water to make that big of a difference. I'd like to see a double-blind study done to see how the mind makes you think it does something. But hey, to whatever floats ya boat....myself, I use a regular hot shower with some shower gel, and breakfast of cereal and OJ....no caffeine for me; medically I need to watch my intake of the stuff or I get all jittery and shitty feeling....I find a good nights sleep helps too.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    [water * (exercise - sleep) / study] + work = My hectic Lifestyle icon_cool.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    tca_monster.gif
    tca_banner_big.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As an electrician living in the Chicago and then Iowa area where cold winters and autumns are the norm I used to drink about 10 cups of coffee a day, cream and sugar please! After suffering for a couple years with stomach related trouble and ulcers I really cut back. Then once I started working in the computer industry and had an office and desk I picked it up again as it was too hard to resist the smell of freshly brewed coffee my co-workers were making. Now I average 3 cups a day (still gotta have my cream and sugar).

On Saturdays I often add a latte, cappucinno, espresso or the like to my diet.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    nestle instant coffee in the morning cause it's quick.
    starbucks grande 1 cream 2 sugar around noon time to keep awake.
    hot chocolate in the evening to refill the sugar rush to keep awake until the night time.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Webmaster, where can I get some of that energy drink?

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    PCHoldmann wrote:

I guess I should have linked to the topic instead of the image itself:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12063
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Green tea and Diet Coke works for me icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I drink alot of water as well...and beer at night icon_lol.gif
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I usually start off with a cup of coffee. Then during the day I'll have a large coffee with tons of sugar and creme, or a Starbucks doubleshot. In the summer I'll substitute the doubleshot with a Caramel Frapaccino with an extra shot.

Afternoons I usually have one more cup.

And for the record, as soon as techexams.net energy drink hits the market i'm dumping starbucks and switching to that. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    No coffee or Tea for me, normally drink water all day and Pepsi Max, If Im really really tired I get a double exrpesso from the machine, and because I don't drink coffee when I do I get one hell of a pick me!!!
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually an instant in the morning before work and then one when I arrive at work. A Flat White when out visiting clients some time in the morning, instant at lunch and another Flat White in the afternoon if I am out.
    Try to keep properly hydrated during the day and tend to miss a coffee or two on Wednesdays and drink more water as I race my mountainbike Wednesday evenings.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    I'm not really into energy drinks or coffee, but Lipodrene is my drug of choice. I push out 15 hour days, which include a strenuous workout @ 4am, on a regular basis thanks to these babies. When the government banned ephedra products I stocked up on about a grand's worth. Luckily, they lifted the ban icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    Webmaster wrote:

I used to drink at least 10 cups of coffee a day, now only 4 or so

admit it, you just got a bigger cup! :D

We usually take 4 or 5 mugs of 'Rio Rocket' a day ... it's good stuff, but as long as it's real (ie not instant) then it's fine icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I need a coffe in the mronigs... then I'll usually have some green tea during the day and some diet coke or pepsi

I drink mroe coffee when stressed out I dran ka pot last week when exchange crashed on me
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I virtually drink no caffiene. No coffee at all. The 20 minute to walk plus public transport commute together with a strenuous game of Need for Speed on my PSP usually gives me all the pick me up I need.

Although I changed my breakfast habits a few months ago and noticed quite a positive difference. I moved from toast and an OJ to Special K, Banana, OJ and a glass of water.

As far as caffiene well that comes from my 2 cans of Coke Zero a day. And thats it. If I drink a can too late at night I have a lot of trouble sleeping. Its a powerful drug when your not used to it.

Oh and I drink a ton of water throughout the day, even in winter. I know I sound really healthy but I do like to drink beer on weekends and chocolate really floats my boat. (especially Belgian chocolate - mmmmm)
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I tried them all, I don't drink coffee in the morning anymore unless I am hung over. A redbull from time to time can really help when I need that extra energy to get through the rest of the day.

I agree with you woodworm, I think Johan just uses a super size mug now. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Never had a single drop of coffee my entire life, and probably never will. The brewing smell is OK, but smelling it on people's breath is enough to make me never want to ingest the stuff. I'll stick with Mountain Dew and Vault, thanks!
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    I don't drink coffee. Very occasionally I'll drink a caffeinated beverage.
    witty comment
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't drink coffee, but when I'm tired at work. I have a Staker2 energy drink along with a Staker2 Pill followed by a piece or 2 of Jolt chewing gum. After that I'm wired and ready to take on the world.

I don't do desktop support, I spend 99.9% of my time in a server room managing our network. Sometimes one of my co-worker's wants kill me when I have my high dose of energy therapy in me...can't say I blame him...lol icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    I figured that I used to spend $90 a month at Starbucks. Now the nearest Starbucks is an hour drive - there are still days where I get in the car and make the trip ... usually about once a month or so.

My Starbucks drink is a venti non-fat misto, 3 pumps of mocha, no foam, with whipped cream.

At home, I grind beans and make a small pot every morning. I do have a small espresso machine and I sometimes make myself my usual, but I just can't get it exactly the same. I'll also make the family frappuccinos - those usually come out ok ... but I don't drink them .. way too sweet for me.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I like caffeine, but not with sugar. They have opposite effects in my system, with any sugar making me very sleepy. I like coffee in the morning and afternoon (Starbucks venti no-whip mocha), and very strong green or black tea in the evenings and late night. If I have a long, late night coding session, I'll crush up 200-400mg of NoDoz caplets and washing it down with hot black tea. My liver is apparently able to metabolize caffeine very quickly, so this will only keep me going for a couple of hours. I actually have to cut back on caffeine every few weeks when it starts giving me mild chest pains.

One of the best article in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffine
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm, I have almost completely cut out the caffine. I just drink lots of fruit juice and water now and I feel alot better from it! :)
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    oooh well..... talking about caffiene huh :D .....
    for me it's usually pepsi about 3-4 cans a days.....but now i'm sort of giving in to my coworkers advice (ALL Doctors)....so i now substitute for water icon_lol.gif

cheers mates!
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Webmaster wrote:
    PCHoldmann wrote:

I guess I should have linked to the topic instead of the image itself:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12063

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Hey webmaster nice link man......
    but is tht TechExams.NET Energy drink for real.
    icon_lol.gif
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    jdmurray wrote:
    I like caffeine, but not with sugar. They have opposite effects in my system, with any sugar making me very sleepy. I like coffee in the morning and afternoon (Starbucks venti no-whip mocha), and very strong green or black tea in the evenings and late night. If I have a long, late night coding session, I'll crush up 200-400mg of NoDoz caplets and washing it down with hot black tea. My liver is apparently able to metabolize caffeine very quickly, so this will only keep me going for a couple of hours. I actually have to cut back on caffeine every few weeks when it starts giving me mild chest pains.

One of the best article in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffine

Damn that's weird....I just looked up that article on Wiki before I saw your post......goos stuff...the article that is....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm back up to 3-4 cups of black coffee now and possibly a Diet Mt. Dew or Diet Coke thrown in somewhere. I had cut back a lot and actually eliminated it for a while until my kids were born and I started to work longer hours.

Where I used to work the owner bought bags of starbucks coffee, one of the expensive extra bold blends and made it extra extra strong, dang that has ruined most coffee for me now! Also used to live off of Jolt Cola (the original energy drink...) when I could find it around here
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    woodworm wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:

I used to drink at least 10 cups of coffee a day, now only 4 or so

admit it, you just got a bigger cup! :D
    Ok, I admit, they did get bigger over time, but my European 'super-large cup' is half the size of a 'grande' in the US. I bet those really give you wings angel.gif
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i drink about 2 of these a day, big ones..
    i get them 99cents each so beats redbull :) besides redbull only works for 20 minutes or so for me and then i crash and can't open my eyes anymore..

http://www.40ouncebeer.com/pictsenergydrinks/extremeenergyshotcans.jpg
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Just sat down with a large expresso and a can of diet coke.

SO i guess that explains my day! icon_lol.gif

I am on hour 10 or a 12 hour shift. Same again tomorrow.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools