Options

Who is Pursuing the CCIE in 2007?

13»

Comments

• Options
    PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Udachi!

I have covered around 50 % of the v3 material and I am waiting to finish the school year so I can start working for that company I mentioned (I hope they'll hire me, at least they promised so a couple of months ago). I use Dynamips for simulating Cisco routers but what I really need right now is switches. I left switching and MPLS to study at the end so I can do some labs while studying the theory. I also hope that some new books will be issued soon for topics like EIGRPv6, IPv6 and maybe an updated version of the official certification guide.

Although my brother tells me that the written exam is quite easy and CCIEs say that it is easier than the CCNP exams, I won't underestimate it and will do a lot of preparation for it.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only think that bothers me right now is that I don't have any experience in production networks because I am only 16 now but I will probably start working for a local system integrator and will have access to switches.
    Good Luck!

I've suggested in the past that people consider looking for jobs at their local Cisco Business Partners. Even if you have just have entry level certs, you might be able to drive a delivery truck, and maybe even touch the equipment when you "rack & stack" the stuff. But that is worth it if you get access to practice equipment (or enough equipment for a CCIE practice lab if the parter is big enough). And if you have the ambition and skills you wouldn't be driving a deliver truck for long :D

The thing a lot of people overlook when talking about experience -- you may see and do more different things in 6 months at a system integrator or business partner then some people see in their entire career at a big company. There are people with 16 years of experience who don't seem capable of achieving what you already appear capable of from just reading your first few posts here. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote:
    The only think that bothers me right now is that I don't have any experience in production networks because I am only 16 now but I will probably start working for a local system integrator and will have access to switches.
    Good Luck!

I've suggested in the past that people consider looking for jobs at their local Cisco Business Partners. Even if you have just have entry level certs, you might be able to drive a delivery truck, and maybe even touch the equipment when you "rack & stack" the stuff. But that is worth it if you get access to practice equipment (or enough equipment for a CCIE practice lab if the parter is big enough). And if you have the ambition and skills you wouldn't be driving a deliver truck for long :D

The thing a lot of people overlook when talking about experience -- you may see and do more different things in 6 months at a system integrator or business partner then some people see in their entire career at a big company. There are people with 16 years of experience who don't seem capable of achieving what you already appear capable of from just reading your first few posts here. :D

Mike,

There are people with 16 years 'experience' who still think flashing lights are cool. There are also people with 16 years experience who can teach you a thing or two. Experience is a variable!

Systems integrator experience is usually very varied. Get as much as exposure as you can! Just don't get landed to make too many of the lies those sales guys tell the customers to come true. Because you won't ;)
  • Options
    Thanks Udachi!

I have covered around 50 % of the v3 material and I am waiting to finish the school year so I can start working for that company I mentioned (I hope they'll hire me, at least they promised so a couple of months ago). I use Dynamips for simulating Cisco routers but what I really need right now is switches. I left switching and MPLS to study at the end so I can do some labs while studying the theory. I also hope that some new books will be issued soon for topics like EIGRPv6, IPv6 and maybe an updated version of the official certification guide.

Although my brother tells me that the written exam is quite easy and CCIEs say that it is easier than the CCNP exams, I won't underestimate it and will do a lot of preparation for it.

The written exam is only easy if you really know your stuff or if you know the answers by using ****.

Do not underestimate the written process. You need to read a great deal, otherwise you will really struggle in your lab preparations. You need to come into CCIE lab preparation with a very strong understanding of R&S protocols. A lot of people **** the written. Bad idea.
  • Options
    Well, it's not that easy to find a job at my age where I can have access to good equipment. Most companies just take a look at my CV, see 1990 under date of birth or no experience listed and do not even bother interviewing me. All I need is a field where I can show what I am capable of.
    Telelink (the company I was referring to) is a Cisco gold partner and had a different approach to me. Their technical director is a double CCIE and I met him personally. I hope I can pick up some advice and tips for the lab from him. What I think I would do most is spending time in that company's lab, which is good for me because that's my goal after all.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote:
    There are also people with 16 years experience who can teach you a thing or two. Experience is a variable!
    Heck -- there are kids with only one or two years of experience that I've learned a thing or two from. But there are some people out there who think experience is an absolute.

Experience is a variable! <---That's worth repeating.

But since I remember the TRS-80 in Radio Shack store windows when I was in College and the IBM AT coming out when I was in the military... I think I do okay being able to program a VCR without the assistance of a 3 year old icon_lol.gif And yes, I know about DVD players -- my first one cost over $1000 and still works... but I have newer, smaller $26 one sitting on top of it that has better error recovery for scratched rental DVDs.... Yeah, that VCR 3yr old thing is just my age showing...
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Well, it's not that easy to find a job at my age where I can have access to good equipment. Most companies just take a look at my CV, see 1990 under date of birth or no experience listed and do not even bother interviewing me. All I need is a field where I can show what I am capable of.
    Telelink (the company I was referring to) is a Cisco gold partner and had a different approach to me. Their technical director is a double CCIE and I met him personally. I hope I can pick up some advice and tips for the lab from him. What I think I would do most is spending time in that company's lab, which is good for me because that's my goal after all.

He can't do it for ya. I think the advice he will give you is to knuckle down and work very hard for a long period of time. If you are still at it in six months time like you are now, you will have come a long way.

You are young, so it's not surprising companies are reticent about taking a chance on you..yet!

Udachi (good luck in Russian), I'm afraid I know no Bulgarian!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Turgon wrote:
    There are also people with 16 years experience who can teach you a thing or two. Experience is a variable!
    Heck -- there are kids with only one or two years of experience that I've learned a thing or two from. But there are some people out there who think experience is an absolute.

Experience is a variable! <---That's worth repeating.

But since I remember the TRS-80 in Radio Shack store windows when I was in College and the IBM AT coming out when I was in the military... I think I do okay being able to program a VCR without the assistance of a 3 year old icon_lol.gif And yes, I know about DVD players -- my first one cost over $1000 and still works... but I have newer, smaller $26 one sitting on top of it that has better error recovery for scratched rental DVDs.... Yeah, that VCR 3yr old thing is just my age showing...

Yup. And I remember studying heterodyne radio component circuitry in 1985 and building and transmitting my first illegal broadcast in 1981. Things move on. I hate all the toys now..find me a bright 12 year old someone quick..here get that working!
  • Options
    LOL :D I thought Udachi was a name
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    There are people with 16 years 'experience' who still think flashing lights are cool. There are also people with 16 years experience who can teach you a thing or two. Experience is a variable!
    but flashing lights are cool...
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    but flashing lights are cool...

heheheh....whatever floats your boat!
  • Options
    liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The plan is CCIP early 2009, CCIE written late 2009, and first lab attempt late 2010. I will also be studying BGP/QoS with the CCIE in mind, this will hopefully allow me to fine tune my study plan.

For Phase I(the written) I plan on using Narbik: The Foundations, Soup2Nuts, and First 18 Technology Focused IPExpert labs. My plan is to tackle each technology like a mini-NP, reading all the related books/student guides & sections from Routing TCP/IP Vol I/II & the CCIE Certification Prep.

For Phase II(multi-protocol labs) I will be using either IPExpert, IE, or Narbik.

Phase III will most likely include a bootcamp, at this point it would be Narbik but closer to that time I will re-evaluate.

A couple things that have helped me in my planning, The Psychology of the CCIE lab and how to plan an attack- http://ipexpert.acrobat.com/p43283993/ and CCIE Lab Strategy: A Structured Approach from InternetworkExpert - http://classroom.internetworkexpert.com/p73138523/

I will be posting progress here and on my blog...

Turgon has been a serious inspiration, he has taken what seemed like an impossible goal and has systematically taken it apart in addition to the balancing act of job+family+other obligations.

I wish everyone the best,
    liquid
    blog.insomniacnetwork.com
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Hmm. . . in 2007 I took the CCNA, and now I've got a couple of books sitting on my shelf, along with some other goodies. . . like one or two books on routing, and another on switching. I'm still doing the backstroke through Microsoft-land, but I am planning on doing the CCNP at some point, here, and possibly the CCIP after that. Does that mean I'm gunning for the CCIE R&S after that? I've said nothing of the sort. I just happen to like making lists. You know, purely for the fun of it. . . icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    This was the original list in 2006 of hopefuls.

- PCHoldmann
    - keenon
    - EdTheLad
    - mikej412
    - DarbyWeaver
    - MrD
    - RandyCCIE#TBD
    - Ten9t6
    - caseyg1204
    - steve-o87
    - dissolved
    - navfett
    - mtbcyclist
    - Waynoo
    - Ahriakin
    - Aredhel
    - snowbash
    - javasteve

How many actually passed? I think MrD and Ahriakin. Any others?
  • Options
    liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    funny to read my plan of attack...even a year ago...not too far off it, still planning the ccie written late this year.

material has changed but my fundamental plan is there.

I hope we hear of a few more that passed!!!

liquid
    blog.insomniacnetwork.com