Options

IE 7

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
I installed IE 7 when it came out to give it a trial run, see if it was any better than beta. It's pretty cool I guess, but I cannot stand the security settings. I had to make adjustments to the reg just to stop the error messages..

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I ran into a problem using my HP scanning software while having IE7 installed one of my desktops so I removed it from that PC. I do have it on my laptop but only use it when accessing OWA for work. I mainly use Firefox for everything else.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I love IE7, but currently am using Safari since that's the best option I have for a Mac. Beta worked well for me and now that Dell has updated their site, I can use IE7 on all the PCs I use during the day.

What sort of Error Messages have you been seeing? What type of sites are you getting these on? Just curious? IE7 has been great for me.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I'm still trying to find the freakin' menus in IE7. icon_cry.gif

Oh wait...I use FireFox icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    I'm still trying to find the freakin' menus in IE7. icon_cry.gif

Oh wait...I use FireFox icon_twisted.gif

I don't know why Microsoft is on a tear hiding by default the most commonly used stuff in all their new applications. When the average end user sees Vista for the first time they're gonna scream bloody murder. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    I have to admit after using microsofts new office, IE7 and vista for the last few months i personally think its there best go at all 3 yet, i especially think with office the new menu system is way better than the old file, edit, view etc that used to be on them.

everything with the new menus is so much easier to find and much more better layed out than the old boring file, edit menus you just need to be using the new system a while. :D

On to IE7 been using this for a few months now also and havent had any problems, the new menu system is great love the quick preview button of multiple tabs, although there RSS feed system is no were near as good as firefox's.

but in the end i still prefer to use firefox icon_cool.gif
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    muriloninjamuriloninja Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tibul wrote:
    I have to admit after using microsofts new office, IE7 and vista for the last few months i personally think its there best go at all 3 yet, i especially think with office the new menu system is way better than the old file, edit, view etc that used to be on them.

everything with the new menus is so much easier to find and much more better layed out than the old boring file, edit menus you just need to be using the new system a while. :D

On to IE7 been using this for a few months now also and havent had any problems, the new menu system is great love the quick preview button of multiple tabs, although there RSS feed system is no were near as good as firefox's.

but in the end i still prefer to use firefox icon_cool.gif

I agree with you when it comes to Office 2007. The menus are "dumbed" down and explain every little detail and i am sure the average PC user will like that.

Now Vista is definately going to be interesting when companies decide to deploy it. It was fun showing my g/f Vista RTM last week. She sat at my PC and was like "where is this bla bla bla". She does like it though, it looks "pretty". lol
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    What sort of Error Messages have you been seeing? What type of sites are you getting these on? Just curious? IE7 has been great for me.
    I made changes to the security settings so I will not be promted with their "information bar" which in turn created a red flag. When I would open my browser, it would automaticaly go to a "MS Security Risk" page informing me that my IE settings were "At Risk" I would then have to click my homepage button to being surfing. I deleted it ouf the reg and it is fine now. I also deleted the information bar though the reg. But this kind of stuff is the reason I will never implement it into my network and to my users. I need freedom to do as I wish and not be told what is a good or bad decision by a buggy program. We need Google to release an OS!

On another note ~ I wonder if Vista will be another "Windows ME"..After years of having MS products work under the same idea, they make drastic changes. End users heads are going to explode and help desk jobs are going to soar.
  • Options
    what do you mean by there information bar? to be honest IE7 is the best IE microsoft have made so far in my opinion and think it is much better for general users etc.

Also vista is by far the best OS they have made so far i've been using it since beta 2 and never had a crash, programs work great, security is much better (i.e. better GPO controls, user account controls and so on), Hardly ever have to restart even after a major update for the OS, no restarting after installing video drivers etc(they also automatically recover themselfs in the event of the video locking up for example), virtual folders are a great edition no more having to make folders if you dont want. icon_wink.gif

This is just to name a very few of the improvments.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I was using IE7 for a while, but I had to rollback to 6. It was so slow, and I couldn't figure out why. I know it wasn't my machine. One thing that kinda pissed me off, is that once I did the rollback, I was still getting some of the same problems with the security settings. Stuff I didn't see with 6. I had to completely remove IE and start with 6 again.......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    muriloninjamuriloninja Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    On another note ~ I wonder if Vista will be another "Windows ME"..After years of having MS products work under the same idea, they make drastic changes. End users heads are going to explode and help desk jobs are going to soar.

Vista is far from that hunk of junk known as Windows ME trust me. It is different and i also believe some users will not like it since it will require them to learn but overall it is a good OS. It has awesome potential.

If you don't have Vista RTM, check it out come Jan 30th. Vista comes only on DVD and is equipped with 19,500 drivers and MS will push more via Updates.

I will say one thing, Vista loves RAM and a nice CPU.
  • Options
    I will say one thing, Vista loves RAM and a nice CPU.
    What Vista does not love is non-Vista-approved laptops. I'm reading more stories about people installing Vista on older laptops and finding that the performance is horrible. Definitely do not install Vista on any machine with the defunct Pentium D CPU. It seems the best results with Vista and Intel CPUs are with the Pentium M and Core 2 family.
  • Options
    from what i remember the minimum specs for vista are 800mhz cpu, 512mb ram, 128mb (graphics card is probably the reason why most old laptops dont like it) graphics card but this is without the lovely aero skin running, with the aero skin running its quite a bit higher and requires much! more space on the hard drive.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    tibul wrote:
    what do you mean by there information bar? to be honest IE7 is the best IE microsoft have made so far in my opinion and think it is much better for general users etc.

Also vista is by far the best OS they have made so far i've been using it since beta 2 and never had a crash, programs work great, security is much better (i.e. better GPO controls, user account controls and so on), Hardly ever have to restart even after a major update for the OS, no restarting after installing video drivers etc(they also automatically recover themselfs in the event of the video locking up for example), virtual folders are a great edition no more having to make folders if you dont want. icon_wink.gif

This is just to name a very few of the improvments.

Tools:Internet options:security:custom level: Now choose one of the active-x options that says "not secure" after the radio button...Now let the fun begin....Close down and open up your browser.
  • Options
    tibul wrote:
    from what i remember the minimum specs for vista are 800mhz cpu, 512mb ram, 128mb (graphics card is probably the reason why most old laptops dont like it) graphics card but this is without the lovely aero skin running, with the aero skin running its quite a bit higher and requires much! more space on the hard drive.
    I think Vista will have more compatibility with older systems when the drivers are more fully optimized for the hardware in the future. Priority was given to the newer hardware for driver development. Even then, my old VooDoo 2 and ATI Rage 3D will never probably never "see" Vista.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I'm currently testing IE7 for future deployment to our users. It's alright, but I will have to come up with a training class or guide teaching the users how to navigate through it since a lot of buttons are located differently and the introduction of tabbing. Still twaeaking and testing many common sites with it. So far so good, but we shall see. I need to find some time to really sit down and tweak it out, so I can get it deployed.

Vista won't be deployed for another 2-3 years if I keep it my way. My boss is agreeing right now, but it may change...I then would fight to wait until we do our next hardware upgrades.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Well, I removed IE7 today! That thing sucks, they cannot be serious. My websites were loading slow for the ast week or so, at least 5 seconds slower with no add ons..I went back to IE6 and my browser is back to normal. If IE7 was a co-worker I would smash his knee caps with a pipe Tony Soprano style. I'm getting firefox. F this
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:
    Well, I removed IE7 today! That thing sucks, they cannot be serious. My websites were loading slow for the ast week or so, at least 5 seconds slower with no add ons..I went back to IE6 and my browser is back to normal. If IE7 was a co-worker I would smash his knee caps with a pipe Tony Soprano style. I'm getting firefox. F this

I totally agree. I'm testing it both at work and at home. I surf the net more at home of course, and it is definitely slower than IE6. The only reason I keep it because I want to keep getting used to it IF OR WHEN I deploy it our users at work. It performs alright at work, but I haven't been able to really smash it like I do at home.
  • Options
    When you download and install FireFox 2.0, but sure to install the IETab add-on. This will let you select which web pages you wish to view using IE embedded in a FireFox browser tab. Web servers will think your browser is IE and behave accordingly; even Windows Updates will work through IETab. I also recommend the NoScript and FasterFox add-ons as well.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shortly after upgrading to ie7 .... i upgraded firefox .. which is much better. i really need the PFIshing PHILTER to slow down my web browsing and stop me from being an id10+t icon_rolleyes.gif
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:

What sort of sites load slowly? I've just not had any loading issues nor any performance loss since I started with IE7 Beta (1 exception was the Dell account site...that has been fixed).

Really just curious, because while I likely don't go many places, all the reasearch, med sites, IT sites, MA sites I visit I've not run into problems with IE7. Everything loads and it doesn't matter if I"m on Cable/aDSL/T3 they all respond well.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    darkuser wrote:
    shortly after upgrading to ie7 .... i upgraded firefox .. which is much better. i really need the PFIshing PHILTER to slow down my web browsing and stop me from being an id10+t icon_rolleyes.gif
    You can turn the IE7 phishing filter off to speed up Web access. When this filter is on, IE7 sends every URL you visit to a central server to check if it is a known phishing site. Other phishing filters avoid this type of overhead by periodically downloading blacklist updates, like virus and spyware scanners download definition files. It's a mystery why Microsoft choose the centralized URL-checking server design.
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    darkuser wrote:
    You can turn the IE7 phishing filter off to speed up Web access. When this filter is on, IE7 sends every URL you visit to a central server to check if it is a known phishing site. Other phishing filters avoid this type of overhead by periodically downloading blacklist updates, like virus and spyware scanners download definition files. It's a mystery why Microsoft choose the centralized URL-checking server design.

Yea like with firefox 2 the phishing filter is stored locally or you can just search google's list.

Although i agree with most here firefox 2 is much better than IE7 i still cant see why people think IE7 is worse than IE6 i think its much better in many areas and for me its also faster than IE6 as i said before in my opinion its there best effort yet.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    garv221 wrote:

What sort of sites load slowly? I've just not had any loading issues nor any performance loss since I started with IE7 Beta (1 exception was the Dell account site...that has been fixed).

Really just curious, because while I likely don't go many places, all the reasearch, med sites, IT sites, MA sites I visit I've not run into problems with IE7. Everything loads and it doesn't matter if I"m on Cable/aDSL/T3 they all respond well.

If you can...place two PC's withthe same specs and start hitting pages using IE6 and IE7 to compare response. YOu can even compare just the application response. I have three desktops and two laptops at home, so I thought it was maybe a difference in the hardware specs. At work, all dektops are standard, so the testing was a lot more even. IE7 has been a little slower than IE6, but I haven't really tweaked it much at all. I really need to dig down into IE7.
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:

This site and every other site. I really noticed it on sites with overhead..Rottentomatoes.com & ESPN.com. When I did speed tests I was getting 3.5 up and 3.5 down, my computer is more than adequate for its role..Maybe you cannot tell because you have been going with the flow ever since beta dropped. I installed firefox with JD's recommendation of add ons (Thanks!) and it runs flawless, I doubt I will ever run IE again. Install Firefox and compare, just like Crest "2 out of 3 techs recommend ditching IE7." Plus firefox has automatic spell check in the browser.

Famous--How much difference in speeds did you notice?

Also- Did anyone makes changes to their security settings and see first hand the hell you must go through to surf?
  • Options
    although if you dont change the security settings then you wont have such problems as i see no need to change them accept i turned the phishing filter off, probably why IE7 is quicker than IE6 to me i have no problems at all using IE7 even though its not my main browser.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    Thats the problem. I want to change security settings and I do not want to be notified of risks. A user makes changes and is alerted to suicide. I do not even have the browser anymore and I get pissed reminiscing about it.
  • Options
    Garv221,
    I can Run Safari and run IE7 side-by-side and there is no difference loading this site or any of the sites that I visit.

Besides that, I look at a variety of PCs each day and with all sorts of configurations as well as browsers. IE6 and IE7 haven't shown any loading problems and Firefox actually seems slow. Opera is pretty good. DeepNet was ok. The boxes that show problems usually have malware and once clean load websites just fine.

If you like Firefox use it. I don't like it and have tried several times for a week or two each time to 'like' it and I just don't. Probably why there are a variety of browsers out there ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    I didn't like firefox the first time I used it either. Since they released 2.0 and have IETAB, hands down kills IE's pile of ****.
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:

This site and every other site. I really noticed it on sites with overhead..Rottentomatoes.com & ESPN.com. When I did speed tests I was getting 3.5 up and 3.5 down, my computer is more than adequate for its role..Maybe you cannot tell because you have been going with the flow ever since beta dropped. I installed firefox with JD's recommendation of add ons (Thanks!) and it runs flawless, I doubt I will ever run IE again. Install Firefox and compare, just like Crest "2 out of 3 techs recommend ditching IE7." Plus firefox has automatic spell check in the browser.

Famous--How much difference in speeds did you notice?

Also- Did anyone makes changes to their security settings and see first hand the hell you must go through to surf?

Actually...when I did the speed tests, the results were about the same. I mean, sometimes it was off by maybe a hundreths, but not significant. The little testing I've done at home were actually webpage initial load. I tested out pages, and saw that most pages kind of stalled a little when using IE7 compared to using IE6. I tested after clearing all cached files and when pages had been cached for faster loading...IE6 was faster. I also noticed that many secured sites or other sites that I usually browse to with no problems came up with security message pages that didn't appear in IE6. I even added the secure sites to the Trusted Sites, but it still warned me in IE7, but let me go through in IE6. I don't know...I'm stuck with it now...I'm tired of uninstalling and reinstalling on both machines and my other machines. I've downloaded the IEAK for IE7, but haven't installed it yet. Users will love not having just one default web page opening up, but a few tabbed ones, LOL icon_lol.gif .
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We aren't using it at work (and won't use it until fall of '07 probably) and I just today installed it on the kid's laptop at home. First thing my 12 year old daughter said was "this 7 thing is really slow". icon_lol.gif

She was playing games on neopets.com.
    All things are possible, only believe.