Options

new gen of working people...

2»

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    It's called evolution and happens in every walk of life, field of work, race or creed.

Older is always considered crafted better and to a higher standard.

In our particular field, lets not forget that it has only been around for 60 odd years compared to say maths (3000 years easily), woodwork/metalwork/textiles (god knows how long) In that 60 years huge leaps of progress have been made by those that were doing the job at the time. Their work was built on by juniors (who had the same drive and ambition of their seniors back when and now considered these elders to be out of touch and lazy) whilst the seniors didn't quite understand all the new changes so fell by the wayside. Eventually the juniors went the same way after the changes they made and were replaced by their juniors.

As far as work ethic goes, lets not forget that work wasn't so plentiful as it is now (well you know what I mean) and not having a job long ago could mean very serious consequences to you and the family so you made sure you wernt sacked by putting everything you had into it.

It's just evolution. Imagine computers in 3000 years!

Sorry for the odd reply to this message but i'm 42 now with a mrs and 3 kids and have been interested/involved in IT for 25 of those years and i'm allowed to be philosophical if I want. :) I remember once calling on one of my elder peers at home and before he could come to the pub he just had to fix something for work. Up comes a program in pure hex which he paged through and quick as a flash said... "ahh there it is.. bloody idiot" ... tappety tappety tap and we were off.

Older technologies form the basis of the new technology. It's just evolution of our industry. Take windows for example. I remember when it came out (and we all had a laugh about how they were just ripping off what apple had been doing for a couple of years and that you couldn't really do bugger all with it anyway.... Nice white screen with a box around it though...) Before that it was text based pdp stuff and glaring green screens where you could still read what was on the screen when you closed your eyes(which have now caused me to wear glasses constantly btw)

Hell, it was only 15 years ago when I was at Uni and the internet was completely text based (seriously!) then someone invented a web browser and html to interpret all the text. Imagine surfing now without a browser and html at the very least.
    Kam.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Webmaster wrote:
    I'm starting to like this Pablo guy icon_lol.gif I read he made some good music besides saying true things.

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/pablo_casals/
    Kam.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have seen both sides. I know many people who are completely lazy. I myself, feel that I am lazy at times, but am always willing to go the extra mile. When someone needs me to come in on a weekend; sure, no problem. Someone needs me to stay late; sure, no problem. When someone needs documentation done; sure, no problem. I get right on it at my earliest convenience, and make sure I get a document that looks well done, not like it was rushed. It truly is amazing how many procrastinate and do not do the things they are supposed to do.

I understand it though. I used to be a slacker myself when I was a teenager. It is mostly because of all the technology that is out I think. It makes the teenager lazier and lazier. For instance, why walk somewhere, we can drive. Technology is making us lazier and lazier. Eventually though, teenagers see that living at home at 30 makes them look like a joke and real life with getting a good job, making good money, supporting a family, supporting rent/mortage is necessary to succeed in life. No more counting on mommy and daddy. This is basically what did it for me. I went to college, got certifications, have my own place, support myself, am responsible, and like I said, I am always willing to go the extra mile at work to get stuff done. It just takes maturity and "real-world experience" with the real-world from an adult perspective.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks