Options

IT DIRECTOR???

hackdugoodhackdugood Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
My boss is an IT Director and I report to him. Now I know IT Directors make VERY good amounts of money. I could never ask him, because we don't discuss things like that here. Now I'm currently an IT Support Analyst and that's (I'm guessing) the somewhat bottom of the barrell. Hey no problem, cause I'm a beginner.

Now my question is: Is there a certain path one must take to become an IT director? I was set out to be a Sr. Network Engineer at the end of the road, but would that have me declared as "not applicable" to be an IT Director? I know it takes years of experience, certs of course and education... But what else would I need? What would indicate or tell someone that they can be an IT Director? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hackdugood wrote:
    My boss is an IT Director and I report to him. Now I know IT Directors make VERY good amounts of money. I could never ask him, because we don't discuss things like that here. Now I'm currently an IT Support Analyst and that's (I'm guessing) the somewhat bottom of the barrell. Hey no problem, cause I'm a beginner.

Now my question is: Is there a certain path one must take to become an IT director? I was set out to be a Sr. Network Engineer at the end of the road, but would that have me declared as "not applicable" to be an IT Director? I know it takes years of experience, certs of course and education... But what else would I need? What would indicate or tell someone that they can be an IT Director? Thanks.

to be a director all you need is:
    drive
    the ablity to speak and present
    make evaluations and determine the best choice
    balls to make hard decisions
    character (a must)
    and above all the ablity to lead and inspire men(women included)

I have had the chance to do this job as well, working my way up from a jr. admin, senior admin and finally director. currently i'm a network engineer a side product of that past gig after the company went under and i like what i do
    icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    I have had the chance to do this job as well, working my way up from a jr. admin, senior admin and finally director. currently i'm a network engineer a side product of that past gig after the company went under

icon_lol.gif Didn't have anything to do with you did it?

The answer for how do I become an IT Director is pretty much the same for any upper management.

Going to MIT's Sloan School of Management wouldn't hurt.
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)
  • Options
    nuglobe wrote:

icon_lol.gif Didn't have anything to do with you did it?

actually it was due to the bad management decisions made from CEO and CFO.. side issue related. IT was under the CFO which is always a bad idea as finance will stiffle IT development and growth the IT department's main purpose is to reduce overall costs by increase productivity by implementing technology that decreases employee and process inefficiencies.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you only want to do that (or the net engineer position you previously wanted) because you think they make lots of money?... I would hate for you to be disappointed down the road when you hate your job and are not making what you think you should.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    to answer a IT director will make a little more in the public sector than the techs under them.

In the private sector that same job will pay quite a bit more depending on size and annual income of company
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I am currently an IT Director and report directly to the CEO. Absolutely love the job.
  • Options
    Well IT Director or Sr. Network Engineer makes good money. At least in my eyes. Sooner or later I'm going to want to hit high 6 figures by creating my own business, but I'll settle for $100,000-$200,000 for a while. Besides, I'm 19 and I'm an IT Support Analyst, I wouldn't complain...
  • Options
    Well, good luck with that icon_eek.gif
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    hackdugood wrote:
    Well IT Director or Sr. Network Engineer makes good money. At least in my eyes. Sooner or later I'm going to want to hit high 6 figures by creating my own business, but I'll settle for $100,000-$200,000 for a while. Besides, I'm 19 and I'm an IT Support Analyst, I wouldn't complain...

6 figures? You'd better look into a degree, or some serious certs for that kind of money. I know a few MCSE's that are barely hitting $70,000 and they've been in the game for over 20 years.

I would look into the federal sector if you're wanting to make over 6 figures. Other than that, you'll probably top out @ or around $80,000.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Orion82698 wrote:
    hackdugood wrote:

6 figures? You'd better look into a degree, or some serious certs for that kind of money. I know a few MCSE's that are barely hitting $70,000 and they've been in the game for over 20 years.

I would look into the federal sector if you're wanting to make over 6 figures. Other than that, you'll probably top out @ or around $80,000.

He is 19 icon_wink.gif

IMO IT sucks in many many ways. All of the outsourcing to 3rd world countries is killing alot of jobs in North America. To make 6 figures in IT you have to have a degree with certifications or be very very smart. The amount of study involved in staying current with technology (especially Networking) is insane. With all the studying I've done I might as well have started a career in the medical field, and made way more money.

IT Management is the way to go, you make crazy cash and do f*ck all.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whats up with all the negative crap?

Yes you can make 6 figures in I.T., but you have to love what you do. If you are in I.T. for the money, then i would suggest you choose a different field.
  • Options
    100K is not that much money in the grand scheme of a business and surely worth the cost to put the responsibility of an IT Dept on the shoulders of an IT Director. If you check out salaries, 100k+ is about the average for an IT Director. There is typically a large pay gap between IT Director and the next IT dept employee beneath him. But yes, 100K+ is very obtainable. If you put your expectations that high, they will get met.
  • Options
    Whats up with all the negative crap?

Yes you can make 6 figures in I.T., but you have to love what you do. If you are in I.T. for the money, then i would suggest you choose a different field.

What I say is part fact and partly my opinion. Fact of the matter is that alot of jobs are being outsourced and if you think it's going to get any better you are crazy. I love my field of work, but money is what makes the world go round and everybody needs it. For the amount of study involved there is definitely better paid careers out there.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Orion82698 wrote:
    6 figures? You'd better look into a degree, or some serious certs for that kind of money.

In a high cost of living area like NYC you could make 6 figures entry level.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I don't understand why anyone would want to be an I.T. Director. It might sound nice and profitable but the politics and all the meetings you have to sit through, the hours your have to put in, the responsibility you have to take on personally, the constant demand and prioritising for the limited I.T resources you have from other departments and the real life you have to go without. You may know what needs doing for the company to achieve what it wants but you have to fight tooth and nail for finance and resources and then you have the problem of having your staff trained and willing to want to do the work. Sounds like a nightmare job to me.

There are far more profitable I.T. job roles without all that nonsense and you get to have a real life at the same time. Security / Voice / Wireless. Becoming a guru on those will pay far more and without all the hastle. You can get money and security and job satisfaction all at the same time.

You just have to sit down and plan first rather than have your career dictated to you by whatever I.T. manager you happen to be working with at the time.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote:
    I don't understand why anyone would want to be an I.T. Director. It might sound nice and profitable but the politics and all the meetings you have to sit through, the hours your have to put in, the responsibility you have to take on personally, the constant demand and prioritising for the limited I.T resources you have from other departments and the real life you have to go without. You may know what needs doing for the company to achieve what it wants but you have to fight tooth and nail for finance and resources and then you have the problem of having your staff trained and willing to want to do the work. Sounds like a nightmare job to me.

There are far more profitable I.T. job roles without all that nonsense and you get to have a real life at the same time. Security / Voice / Wireless. Becoming a guru on those will pay far more and without all the hastle. You can get money and security and job satisfaction all at the same time.

You just have to sit down and plan first rather than have your career dictated to you by whatever I.T. manager you happen to be working with at the time.

Agreed :D
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote:

Have you worked as an IT Director?
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    God no! But I watched a good friend go practically bald as one in only a matter of a few years.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Agreed.. I started losing hair and now its all but gone icon_lol.gif

I'm glad i got a side product that i like to do as a result of being one.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote:
    God no! But I watched a good friend go practically bald as one in only a matter of a few years.
    Then you don't know what it is like to be an IT Director. Any job can hand out what you described above. Sure, I have worked a few long nights, I have also relaxed on a beaches, boats, golf courses, ski mountains with my family during work hours more than I have worked late. I am never stressed and have a full head of hair. I wouldn't want to work any other position besides maybe CIO (which we currently don't have). I like to develop networks, systems, policies and direction in IT. A powerful business owner told me "In the work force you have THINKERS and DOERS. THINKERS think of a plan and have the DOERS do it. If you want to distinguish these two employees, look at a company's salaries; THINKERS are always on top." That made me want more.
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    I have to agree with that for right now - I would never take a Management or Director position (at least at my current company)

Our Networking Team has some really really bright people, including the Network Manager and Network Operations Director. BUT, they are stuck in meeting after meeting, purchase orders, policy reviews. A lot of paper work.

I can't stand meetings, I can take a few of them, but I would not be able to handle a whole day of meetings, nor would I want to. Our Lead Engineer has my dream job - he plans a majority of the role-outs, designs and tests them, and finally implements them.

I'll probably change my tune down the road - but for now - the less paperwork and more hands-on expirience is what I'm looking for.

And to answer the original question - at my current employment to be even considered for a Director posistion you need 5-10 yrs of related expirience, and a Masters degree. We're a rather large corporation and the Directors make a very very nice chunck of change.
  • Options
    Hey guys, now I know there are downs to being an IT Director, but it's what I want to do. I'm not blindly following a path, I do my homework and all. Being in meetings is no problem for me because I enjoy it! I'm a presenter, I like to make people laugh, I'm serious when I have to be... I really do feel fit for the job. Keeping up with the IT world and the new technologies isn't a hard thing to do... Of course IT Director's have it hard, but that's some jobs. My boss is hardly here because he's always flying internationally to meeting and all, but he loves his job! His vacations are great, and he gets to GO places! LoL. He's not complaining. I'm not inspired by him alone, my father is an IT Consultant and he makes $$$$$$$!!! He hates his job!!! LoL. But he says "It puts food on the table". Keep in mind everyone, I'm 19... I still have many years to decide what I want to do... God willing. I'm attending college for a BS in Computer Science, CCNA in like 15 days, I'm gonna get an A+, Linux+, Network+, Security+ in this year alone to just have it under my belt. I don't love IT, but I learn it so very quickly... so why not?! Oh and BTW, I'll make 6 figures, because I live in NYC. LOL.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Where I work, you won't be a director of ANY department without AT LEAST a Master's degree. I am directly below my director, and soon his title will become CIO.

It's just a title!! YOu can be the lead of a two man I.T. shop and make only 70K and be title I.T. Director. As your staff and budget grow, the role of the Director will dramatically change along with titles, responsibilities, and roles of supporting I.T. staff. The amount of money you make doesn't just come from your title, but from what the company feel the person holding that title is entitled to. For an example, the guy that I replaced at my job made 15K less than I am making now. It is all on what they are willing to pay you to do your job.

EDIT: If you are going to major in CS, just come out of college and program!! I came out making big bucks programming first. Colege actually teach you how to program in C++, Java, COBOL, VB, ASP, etc., so they are willing to pay an entry level programmer with a bachelor's degree top dollar and you will only shoot up from there. If you are going towards the networking/systems side of things where college/C.S. program doesn't really focus on, you will probably start at a lower salary depending on how hard you hunt. The reason is certifications for the networking/systems in use today like Cisco and Windows Server. Programming is a different subject and colleges do a good job at it.

No matter which one you choose, you can get paid big bucks...just apply, apply, apply, have confidence, and don't let someone tell you that you are not qualified until you try first. Yes...I practice what I preach and it has paid off everytime!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Just remember it isn't all about the money.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Live in the ghetto and you will find out everything but loyalty is money.

You can make small 6 figures if you work hard to be an IT director or programmer, but you can make top dollar if you rub elbows with a rich man with no direction. I have the oppertunity to make millions literally. Just if you use your social skillz the right way and bring up good ideas for investments. I paid my dues to society and now I can taste the wealth. But all the money won't make me forget, My family lives off of less than $1000 bucks a month now and I make minimum wage. This is due to my age.

What I am trying to say is don't forget where you came from. Money is power, but loyalty is respect. Do not let the cashflow take your heart. Many of men have lost their dignity following the money; greed took their souls. Money follows respect as much as greed.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
  • Options
    I used to live in the ghetto also lol. Brooklyn, NY. My family was poor too, starting off at the bottom has you knowing why you want the top. Good point to make tony but wrong place to put it. Money isn't everything, but money feeds people!
  • Options
    Don't tell me Kansas City. Just stop it
  • Options
    tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Money does feed people. You lived in brooklyn..... It sucked, didn't it. Trust me, I can't argue with trying to make a dollar for your family. You know the value of money when you don't have any. I hope you make it big.

You want to be an IT director. Good goal. I think you should get the certs, then work on the leadership part of it. It is just as important to know how to lead as it is to know IT. I always talk about leadership training bc it has helped me tremendously. I am a little weak on the IT side compared to leadership. Do both and you will become a success.

Garv, enjoy what you do, but feed the family first. Money is worth more and more in our world. You are prolly 5 times more proficient in IT, but for people who ain't got it yet, they got to live how they can.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    100k IMO isnt that far out there. Defiantly depending on where you are located and what your job title is.

I have had 4, 70k offers within a 3 month period this year alone.

Money isnt everything. I would defiantly rather take a pay cut and love my job than to make a ton of money and hate my job.

I have been in both area's and trust me, being happy is what its all about.

70 - 100k seems like a reasonable amount of money for a large corporation.

45- 60k to me seems like a reasonable amount of money for a mid sized private corporation.

40-50k for a small business.

I personally prefer a small business or a mid sized company. My experience with large corporations and their politics...... DONT GET ME STARTED.
  • Options
    jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally prefer a small business or a mid sized company. My experience with large corporations and their politics...... DONT GET ME STARTED.[/quote]

I currently work for a small (40 employee) company and I find the politics crazy here too. Do you think it just depends on the environment?

I was thinking of looking at a bigger company next go round so that maybe there is room for advancement.