Calculator Allowed in CCNA?

filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
Is a calculator allowed in CCNA?

I am slower at math in my head. I guess I will practice SPEED adding and subtracting on paper for a week or so before the test if not. It is sad, but I have not had to do simple mathematics on paper in years...
CISSP, CCNA SP
Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller

Comments

• KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Nope nor is there a software calc available on the test machine. If it's for subnetting etc, write down the different powers of two repeatedly until you know them off by heart. They will form one of the basics of your networking career anyway.
    Kam.
  • darkzonedarkzone Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote:
    Nope nor is there a software calc available on the test machine. If it's for subnetting etc, write down the different powers of two repeatedly until you know them off by heart. They will form one of the basics of your networking career anyway.

But dont they provide you with dry earse board or some thing which u can use for computations and all...?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You're never allowed to bring anything with you into the testing room. They do give you a felt-tip pen and a dry-erase, laminated page to write notes on. Some tests build a calculator into the testing engine, (such as Microsoft with their MCSA/MCSE exams,) but I believe Cisco does not include a calculator.

As for 'just using the one on the testing computer', I'd recommend against it. Messing with the computer you've been given for testing is generally against the code of conduct for the testing centers, and it can also crash your test, since these machines aren't super-powerful, and can't always run more than one program at a time. Another consideration is that the testing center might think you're attempting to use Google to find your answers, so I definitely recommend staying within the confines of the testing application that's pre-set for you when you sit down at the station.

In the end, it's just like Yoda said, "there is only what you take with you". The tests are designed to test the knowledge you have in your head and the experience you carry with you. If you know your stuff, what they give you is plenty to pass the exams.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    unless you guess the key stroke and password to pause and minimize the test or hack the PC you won't be able to gain access to any PC applications. trust me, I worked in a testing center and the software locked the pc down.
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    For tasks given in CCNA, you can do well without calculator. If you can't - you are not ready.
  • GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    No calculator allowed, but when you start the test, take one minute and write down the powers of 2, and the CIDR's with their subnet-mask. It only takes one minute, and afterwards, you don't need to calculate them anymore.
    Off-course its always better to know them by the head, but i know some people have difficulties with it.
    Succes on the Cisco road.