Options

What to buy next?

markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
Hmm...guess polls are disabled in the forum. I know this is in the FAQ but there are so many answers and I can't decide which one to go with.

Part 1: I just recieved my 2612 today (woo-hoo). It has 1 ether, 1 token, console, and aux. I have 2 WIC-1T's on the way. Only needed one for this router but got a good deal and figured I'd need more in the future anyway.

Part 2: I just won an auction for a 12 port 2950 switch and expect to have that sometime next week. Obviously that'll either be coming out of my token port or ether port on my 2612.

Part 3: And this is where I'd like some opinions. I can't for the life of me decide on which router to get for the 2nd one, and probably last one until after I pass the CCNA. I might buy another switch to complete the set but want the router first for now. So which do I go with? I was just going to get another 2612 but who the hell needs two token ring routers. icon_lol.gif

I looked in the FAQ and see so many options ranging from 25xx's up to 26xx's. Do I get a 2610, 2611, 2612, 2613??? I want this to be scalable as well. I noted on the cisco blueprint the 2610's could be substituted for some of the more expensive equipment. Should I get a router with BRI interfaces so that I can practice ISDN? Is that practicle since ISDN is not as hot?

Just looking for opinions. And a bit of boredom as well. Sitting in at home on a Friday night doesnt help. icon_sad.gif
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    But yourself a terminal server either a 2511 or a 2509 , the 2511 has 16 lines wheras the 2509 has 8 lines.This router has 2 serial interfaces, 1 ethernet al built-in so you can use it both as a terminal server and a router.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote:
    But yourself a terminal server either a 2511 or a 2509 , the 2511 has 16 lines wheras the 2509 has 8 lines.This router has 2 serial interfaces, 1 ethernet al built-in so you can use it both as a terminal server and a router.

Hmmm...never tried that before. Does it hurt? icon_lol.gif :P

Sorry Ed. Friday night boredom drives me nuts. Well crap. What am I going to do with the extra WIC I have coming in? Hey, if the 2511 or 2509 come with 2 serial interfaces, couldn't I just place the 2 WIC's I have coming in into my 2612 and create redundant serial links between my routers? I know this would have a purpose in regards to my studies but I forget what it is. STP is for redundant switch links. What is it for redundant serial links?
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    Hey, if the 2511 or 2509 come with 2 serial interfaces, couldn't I just place the 2 WIC's I have coming in into my 2612 and create redundant serial links between my routers? I know this would have a purpose in regards to my studies but I forget what it is. STP is for redundant switch links. What is it for redundant serial links?

Multilink ppp , testing layer 3 load balancing,policy routing and whatever else you can think up.
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote:
    markzab wrote:
    Hey, if the 2511 or 2509 come with 2 serial interfaces, couldn't I just place the 2 WIC's I have coming in into my 2612 and create redundant serial links between my routers? I know this would have a purpose in regards to my studies but I forget what it is. STP is for redundant switch links. What is it for redundant serial links?

Multilink ppp , testing layer 3 load balancing,policy routing and whatever else you can think up.

Aha, good call.

Yo this 2511 is an expensive sucker. I figure the 25xx series would be cheaper than the 2600's. Damn. Around what should I pay for a 2509 or 2511? I'm seeing around $150-$200 on ebay for the 2511's.
  • Options
    I remember paying 400 euro for a 2511 a couple of years ago.Anyway its a must for a decent lab.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I scored 2 2509s @ $75 each... and a 3rd at $95. I got 2 2511s @$125 during a lull in the terminal server bidding frenzy on eBay -- they had usually been selling for over $200 each.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    I scored 2 2509s @ $75 each... and a 3rd at $95. I got 2 2511s @$125 during a lull in the terminal server bidding frenzy on eBay -- they had usually been selling for over $200 each.
    Why you need all those terminal servers? Your running 56 devices simultaneously?
    Huh? what did ya say? You wanna give one to Markzab? Up to you i guess icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    eh i'll take a 2511 if he's selling one :-p..i think i have more equipment than the OP.. trust me its not fun switching one console cable between all this crap.(now 1 2620, 1 2514, 2 2501, 2 2504, 1 2520, 3 2924s, and 1 2912...).. Also, if you're interested, i've found a seller that is selling quite a few 2600 routers if you're wanting to pick more up. I just bought a 2620 32/8 for $109 +ship ($15)... he's got another 2620 for $100 as well, 24/8. Add a couple serial cards (cheap) and spend like $60 on some memory and you're cake. Oh, he's got 2611s & 2610s at around $150 or less also. I also think my 1912 from cisco kits came with a newer IOS for the 2600s, so that helps me. now i just need to find myself a 2950.. i guess i'll wait til next month when i get my bonus.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Hey Mark,

I would also get a 4 or 8 port serial card for that 2600 and then you can use that 2600 as a frame switch.
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Definitely don't get a 2613. You'll only have 1 Token ring port,
    and will not be able to add a enet port.

You could get 2511. $200 is a fair deal.
    You could also use it as a frame switch when you add
    the second router as it has 2 serials.

Practicing ISDN? That's kewl. you won't need it for
    an exam, but a lot of people use it as a back up
    in the real world.
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    Hey Mark, I would also get a 4 or 8 port serial card for that 2600 and then you can use that 2600 as a frame switch.
    seraphus wrote:
    You could get 2511. $200 is a fair deal. You could also use it as a frame switch when you add the second router as it has 2 serials.

DM, are you talking about the smaller serial interfaces I've seen. I think they're called WIC-2T? I don't think I've ever seen 4 or 8 serial interfaces on a single module/card.

Seraphus, looks like you're also saying I should make one the frame switch. Would I need only 2 serials on a router or the 4-8 that DM mentioned? I'm thinking I might be leaning toward a 2509/2511. As someone mentioned...switching the console cable all the time would be a pain in the ass.

And rather than create a whole new thread (which you all know I love to do) a question just popped up. I'd like to try and simulate a real environment in my home lab. I don't want to have just one host coming off of my switch. I want it to seem like an office environment with lets say 7-8 hosts/switch. BUT, I don't want to buy 7-8 PC's. I asked my brother earlier today but he didnt know...can you put like 4-5 NIC's into a barebones PC and treat each NIC as if it was a seperate host with seperate IP addresses? If that was possible I'd be able to configure a much more detailed lab.

EDIT: Hey Mike...sell me one. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    I'd like to try and simulate a real environment in my home lab. I don't want to have just one host coming off of my switch. I want it to seem like an office environment with lets say 7-8 hosts/switch. BUT, I don't want to buy 7-8 PC's. I asked my brother earlier today but he didnt know...can you put like 4-5 NIC's into a barebones PC and treat each NIC as if it was a seperate host with seperate IP addresses? If that was possible I'd be able to configure a much more detailed lab.

Yep, you can install an application called virtual server or virtual machine, cant remember exactly maybe their 2 different apps that do the same thing.I'm looking at doing this when i have some time on my hands. I dont know the limit but you can definitely manage 4 Pcs on a machine, probably need alot of ram processor etc i have a dual core with 4 Gb so its not really a concern.
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    Seraphus, looks like you're also saying I should make one the frame switch. Would I need only 2 serials on a router or the 4-8 that DM mentioned? I'm thinking I might be leaning toward a 2509/2511. As someone mentioned...switching the console cable all the time would be a pain in the ass.

You can make the 2511 a frame switch, as well as use it for OOB management
    for your other devices. I'd only do this if your gonna' stop at 2 routers (in addition
    to the 2511) just to review the technology itself. Or you can make that 2612 with
    2 WIC-1Ts a frame switch to the 2511 and whatever else you get. But this is limiting.

If you plan on going for the CCNP, (again... and I feel your pain icon_cool.gif ) I
    highly recommend getting a 2511. You'll thank yourself immediately, and then
    again later.
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote:
    markzab wrote:
    I'd like to try and simulate a real environment in my home lab. I don't want to have just one host coming off of my switch. I want it to seem like an office environment with lets say 7-8 hosts/switch. BUT, I don't want to buy 7-8 PC's. I asked my brother earlier today but he didnt know...can you put like 4-5 NIC's into a barebones PC and treat each NIC as if it was a seperate host with seperate IP addresses? If that was possible I'd be able to configure a much more detailed lab.

Yep, you can install an application called virtual server or virtual machine, cant remember exactly maybe their 2 different apps that do the same thing.I'm looking at doing this when i have some time on my hands. I dont know the limit but you can definitely manage 4 Pcs on a machine, probably need alot of ram processor etc i have a dual core with 4 Gb so its not really a concern.

Oh, hmm, that sounds like it'd be more expensive than just buying 4 NICs and finding a motherboard with enough slots for them. I'd have to go out and get a powerful machine like the one you've got. Wish there was a cheap way to simulate this scenario.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    markzab wrote:

And rather than create a whole new thread (which you all know I love to do) a question just popped up. I'd like to try and simulate a real environment in my home lab. I don't want to have just one host coming off of my switch. I want it to seem like an office environment with lets say 7-8 hosts/switch. BUT, I don't want to buy 7-8 PC's. I asked my brother earlier today but he didnt know...can you put like 4-5 NIC's into a barebones PC and treat each NIC as if it was a seperate host with seperate IP addresses? If that was possible I'd be able to configure a much more detailed lab.

icon_lol.gif

instead of using 4-5 individually, get 2 servers NICs with 4 ports like intel.
    put the box a vmware or virtual pc -- lots of ram.
    beware of looping.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    seraphus wrote:
    markzab wrote:

You can make the 2511 a frame switch, as well as use it for OOB management
    for your other devices. I'd only do this if your gonna' stop at 2 routers (in addition
    to the 2511) just to review the technology itself. Or you can make that 2612 with
    2 WIC-1Ts a frame switch to the 2511 and whatever else you get. But this is limiting.

If you plan on going for the CCNP, (again... and I feel your pain icon_cool.gif ) I
    highly recommend getting a 2511. You'll thank yourself immediately, and then
    again later.

Sounds like a plan...

By the way. I'm nuts so that's why I'm awake. What the hell is your guys excuse? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    markzab wrote:

Oh, hmm, that sounds like it'd be more expensive than just buying 4 NICs and finding a motherboard with enough slots for them. I'd have to go out and get a powerful machine like the one you've got. Wish there was a cheap way to simulate this scenario.

Yes, my mistake, i'm planning on turning my machine into alot of virtual machines so i can play with
    multiple multicast sources, if you only want an ip address to ping loopback addresses do the job.
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    By the way. I'm nuts so that's why I'm awake. What the hell is your guys excuse? icon_lol.gif

Ummm, just this....

Router#delete flash:1:c2600-d-mz.122-17a.bin
    Delete filename [c2600-d-mz.122-17a.bin]?
    Delete flash:1:c2600-d-mz.122-17a.bin? [confirm]
    Router#

Router#erase flash:1:
    Erasing the flash:1 filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]
    Erasing device... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...erased
    Erase of flash:1: complete

Router#erase flash:2:
    Erasing the flash:2 filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]
    Erase of flash:2: complete
    Router#
    Router#config t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Router(config)#no partition flash
    Router(config)#end
    Router#
    00:17:58: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consolereload

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: n
    Proceed with reload? [confirm]

***then I saw...

device does not contain a valid magic number
    boot: cannot open "flash:"
    boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info
    C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

rommon 1 >

About to load a new IOS... icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Mark,

NM-8A/S for example. Seems you lucky bastards can get it cheap off Ebay. It's 3 times as much to buy it off the most popular auction here (Yahoo).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-NM-8A-S-Network-Module_W0QQitemZ160104055653QQihZ006QQcategoryZ67286QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just an example.
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    seraphus wrote:
    markzab wrote:

Ummm, just this....

Router#delete flash:1:c2600-d-mz.122-17a.bin
    Delete filename [c2600-d-mz.122-17a.bin]?
    Delete flash:1:c2600-d-mz.122-17a.bin? [confirm]
    Router#

Router#erase flash:1:
    Erasing the flash:1 filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]
    Erase of flash:1: complete

Router#erase flash:2:
    Erasing the flash:2 filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm]
    Erase of flash:2: complete
    Router#
    Router#config t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Router(config)#no partition flash
    Router(config)#end
    Router#
    00:17:58: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consolereload

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: n
    Proceed with reload? [confirm]

***then I saw...

device does not contain a valid magic number
    boot: cannot open "flash:"
    boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info
    C2600 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

rommon 1 >

About to load a new IOS... icon_eek.gif
    I did that in my learning lab once before going home from work on a Friday night and in order to VPN in from home and continue my lessons, I needed working routers, so that was fun ;)
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    markzab wrote:

icon_lol.gif

instead of using 4-5 individually, get 2 servers NICs with 4 ports like intel.
    put the box a vmware or virtual pc -- lots of ram.
    beware of looping.

cheers.
    Yep. Microsoft makes a decent (very limited Linux support though) free product as well: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    I've been searching for a good deal on either a 2509 or 2511 for a couple days now but am having a hard time finding one. I was wondering, do they make a NM that I could install on a 2610 for example that would give me the same capabilities as having a 2509 (terminal server)?
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    markzab wrote:
    I've been searching for a good deal on either a 2509 or 2511 for a couple days now but am having a hard time finding one. I was wondering, do they make a NM that I could install on a 2610 for example that would give me the same capabilities as having a 2509 (terminal server)?

NM-16A ... Pricey ...
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    sexion8 wrote:
    markzab wrote:

NM-16A ... Pricey ...

That NM has serial interfaces, not the asynch ones I'm seeing on the 2509 and 2511's.
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    sexion8 wrote:
    markzab wrote:

NM-16A ... Pricey ...

That NM has serial interfaces, not the asynch ones I'm seeing on the 2509 and 2511's.

No, they're asnyc alright....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800a93f0.shtml
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-NM-16A-16-Port-Asynchronous-Serial-Network-Module_W0QQitemZ180015824670QQihZ008QQcategoryZ67286QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

This one's not too, bad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-NM-32A-High-Density-32-Port-Asynchronous-Module_W0QQitemZ180107180024QQihZ008QQcategoryZ67286QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

The 2511/2509 would be your best bet...
  • Options
    seraphus wrote:
    markzab wrote:
    sexion8 wrote:
    markzab wrote:

NM-16A ... Pricey ...

No, they're asnyc alright....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800a93f0.shtml
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-NM-16A-16-Port-Asynchronous-Serial-Network-Module_W0QQitemZ180015824670QQihZ008QQcategoryZ67286QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

This one's not too, bad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-NM-32A-High-Density-32-Port-Asynchronous-Module_W0QQitemZ180107180024QQihZ008QQcategoryZ67286QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

The 2511/2509 would be your best bet...

Hmm. A little deceiving because I searched for NM-8A's and this came up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-NM-8A-S-8-PORT-CISCO-SERIAL-MODULE_W0QQitemZ330108953479QQihZ014QQcategoryZ67286QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's why I thought he was talking about the serial module.

Man, they dont let you get out easy. Module's more expensive than the router.

Oh well, I try.
  • Options
    I hear ya; though you may wanna' grab one of those too if you
    decide to expand. icon_cool.gif

I think that 2511 is well worth it; I should know, I bought one several months
    ago when one popped for $169.00 w/ cables $30 shipping. Look at like this:
    it will probably retain its value by the time you complete your NP. (Assuming
    you complete yours within the next rolling year, of course).
  • Options
    markzab wrote:

So I'll repost with more information for you...

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps274/c1167/ccmigration_09186a00801850cd.pdf

NM-16A/S 16-PORT ASYNCHRONOUS/SYNCHRONOUS NETWORK MODULE

Asynchronous/Synchronous interfaces are the most versatile serial connections that Cisco offers. These interfaces support a wide variety of protocols and applications, including WAN concentration, transport of SDLC and Bi-sync data, and asynchronous terminal connections. Cisco announces the availability of the NM-16A/S that has double the interface density of the NM-8A/S.
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    sexion8 wrote:
    markzab wrote:

So I'll repost with more information for you...

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps274/c1167/ccmigration_09186a00801850cd.pdf

NM-16A/S 16-PORT ASYNCHRONOUS/SYNCHRONOUS NETWORK MODULE

Asynchronous/Synchronous interfaces are the most versatile serial connections that Cisco offers. These interfaces support a wide variety of protocols and applications, including WAN concentration, transport of SDLC and Bi-sync data, and asynchronous terminal connections. Cisco announces the availability of the NM-16A/S that has double the interface density of the NM-8A/S.

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't looking for a module with serial interfaces.
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    sexion8 wrote:
    markzab wrote:
    I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't looking for a module with serial interfaces.

Dur... See what I get for skimming/speed reading ;)