Options

Just Curious [username + avatar]

sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey All:

I hope this isn't too lame, but I have often wondered and sometimes chuckled about a person's user name, avatar, and signature used in the forums. These are things that obviously have a meaning of some sort and I'm curious what it might be for the rest of you. For example, my user name is what everyone called me during my 12 years of working as an electrician. My avatar reflects my favorite hobby, and my sig is just something I heard once long ago that always stuck with me, although I don't remember the actual source of the quote.

Anyone else care to share? :)
All things are possible, only believe.

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    My user name comes from my favorite band (Megadeth)...

The Avatar is just one of the defaults here as everyone probably already knows.... But hey, I was very fond of Super Mario Brothers when I was growing up.

The signature has a link to a MMORPG that a couple of my friends and I started running back in 2004. Since then we passed administration off to one of our appointed admin players from the other side of the world. I just don't have the time to be an admin for the game and website anymore... I still log in once in a while to check up on things but I don't really have the time to start a real character and play the game right now... So I just log in as my Admin character.
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was drinking a cold Coors Light (Silver Bullet) when I joined the forums back in '04.

My sig only shows the test I am currently working on.

I just thought the avatar was cool. And I'm cool. icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My username is for 3 reasons:

1) it's a killer Metallica song

2) I'm a big fan of money (though I dont seem to ever have any)

3) I couldnt think of anything else when I signing up icon_eek.gif

My avatar is the Clemson University Tiger Paw because my blood runs Orange (though I am thinking of changing it to Dale Jr #icon_cool.gif LOL because no one has probably heard of Clemson University

I am glad you finally told us what your username meant Sprkymrk....I was wondering what yours (along with others meant)...
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Breadfan wrote:
    My avatar is the Clemson University Tiger Paw because my blood runs Orange (though I am thinking of changing it to Dale Jr #icon_cool.gif LOL because no one has probably heard of Clemson University

I have.

Go Pack!

NCSU '06 icon_wink.gif
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Name: Black Mage is my favorite character from the web comic 8-Bit Theatre. (www.nuklearpower.com) It features sprites from the video game Final Fantasy, and loosly follows the storyline. Even if you're not a fan of the games, you should still check it out. Even someone not interested in the 'fantasy' genre should get a chuckle out of it.

Avatar: See above. He's mean. icon_lol.gif

Signiture: It's one quote of many from a t-shirt I own. Homer is the man.

Breadfan... I think you should change your avatar to something Earnhardtish. Of course, that is just my NASCAR-fan bias speaking. :D
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Signiture: It's one quote of many from a t-shirt I own. Homer is the man.

That's a hilarious quote. Makes me laugh every time I see it! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My name is Adam. username is somewhat of an inside joke. Some telemarketer called me and I put it on speakerphone, they kept calling me "snadam". My friends have called me snadam since icon_lol.gif

the avatar is from dumb and dumber. I just like the hat icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a great topic!

My username came half from a nickname, friends at college always called me jaydubbs. And I am an avid moto-sports fan and I run the number 112 on my bike.

Check out my website and you can see a picture of my xr50. Its a pitbike but man its a blast!!!

I was in a bad mood when I created my account because of issues at work that's why I picked my avatar. I was having one of those your doing a great job keep up the good work.....um no we cant give you a raise right now even though people on the production floor make more than you days.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Well I used to frequent several IRC channels as "seuss" or "dr_seuss". Unfortunately on many popular sites that name was already taken. I dont really know what gave me the "mirror idea,"
    but seuss_ssues was born.

And for the image? I saw it one day, thought it was funny, and it went with the whole dr seuss theme.

<edit>
    Also the image is rather small. The sign says "Nerd."
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The name is just something I came up with as an online-game alias many years ago. It popped into my head and sounded right for the time.
    The avatar is something I designed as a backdrop for my website when I wrote music, study has put paid to that endeavour. It's a mix of a Chess Knight and, well, a 'cool looking circley bit' (tm).

My sig shows the limit of my godlike intellect and manly mans manliness icon_cool.gif ....okay more like icon_rolleyes.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Breadfan wrote:
    Go Pack!
    Go to Hell, Carolina!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Breadfan wrote:
    My username is for 3 reasons:

1) it's a killer Metallica song

2) I'm a big fan of money (though I dont seem to ever have any)

3) I couldnt think of anything else when I signing up icon_eek.gif

I am glad you finally told us what your username meant Sprkymrk....I was wondering what yours (along with others meant)...
    ewwww irmo icon_sad.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    sexion8 = section 8 = play on poverty... my choice of names was taken. Most know me as sil short for silencer or rwxr--r-- on irc... also use segment from time to time... Avatar? I like munkeys... Sig... If you can't figure it out you shouldn't be taking any Cisco cert above the CCNA ;)

Dur... Edited ... Sig is a perl program... Obfuscated ... When I made that last sentence, I was referring to location ;)
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My name is Paul Bosworth and I race motorcycles. That's not me, but I'm a huge Loris Capirossi fan :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone. :)

Darthn3ss and blargoe, you both owe a post on-topic here now that you've participated. C'mon now... Join the fun! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    not 100% sure.

i was playing this 2d MMORPG in like 7th grade and one day i just came up with it.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    << is me - has been since I fell into the net back when the only pics were on dodgy sites. Someone once asked about identity theft ... been me for a long time and too many people know me as me icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Nickname, no prizes for guessing real name

Sig, just added one after seeing this topic as i felt left out icon_lol.gif

PS: Unrelated but bring in the dancing banana (some of you will understand) icon_wink.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Username: Simple really. It's my first name (Mark) and the first 3 letters of my last name (Zab).

Sig: Probably some of the best few lines used in a movie to relate complete stupidity. Here... http://youtube.com/watch?v=6PDKcX0Ji90 icon_lol.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Well, now. I like this thread. As for little ol' me. . .

I used to use this nickname in IRC, as well as the real world, mainly because I'm a big Eric Clapton fan. Then I took on the nickname "Reptile" after a few years went by, (another of EC's album-names). The avatar reflects the "Reptile" name, it's my design with some modifications made by an artist who is very close to my heart. She created the psuedo-3D effect, as well as cleaned up the image. My signature, (aside from the quips I'll drop in there from time to time,) will have to remain a mystery, as the proper translation gets censored each time I preview it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    Breadfan wrote:
    Go Pack!
    Go to Hell, Carolina!

You can't be from North Carolina.

1) I said "Go Pack," not Breadfan.

2) The Pack is NC State, not Carolina.

Now I agree with the, "Go to hell Carolina!"
    But since this is a tech site, get your sh8t str8.

PS: Go to hell Carolina! icon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    my name is mark pashby, so my nickname has been Pash for years, my dad was also called Pash as his nickname from friends and colleagues and my grandad also. Although, if you search on the internet you might think Pash was a russian cosmetic line.

I should really get an avatar, i normally have something from dodgeball in my avatar on most forums, that film is my faveourite comedy for the last few years. Ben stiller a real comedy genius.

My sig, well i havent changed it since I was studying for my CCNA, it just helps me remember subnetting :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Slowhand wrote:
    My signature, (aside from the quips I'll drop in there from time to time,) will have to remain a mystery, as the proper translation gets censored each time I preview it.

Sense of humour is a great thing. :)
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very boring nic - first name & first initial of my last name.
    The avatar is one of the "stock" ones, but after surviving 2 broken backs, a broken neck, broken leg, et al, it seemed appropriate.
    Sig is representative of growing up in West Texas - I went to school with these guys. icon_redface.gif
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • Options
    Sie wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:
    My signature, (aside from the quips I'll drop in there from time to time,) will have to remain a mystery, as the proper translation gets censored each time I preview it.

Sense of humour is a great thing. :)

Yes. And if they can't take a joke, then FM.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:

Is it Latin? Something like "To laugh ironically at..."? Can't quite figure it out. Am I close?
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got my internet name from Magic the Gathering from a while ago. I don't have an avatar or signature because I think they are a waste of time. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My username isn't very orginal, my intials plus the year I was born. I have used it on a lot of different boards over the last 8 years.

When I orginally joined here I picked one of the stock avatars that I thought looked cool. Might have been one of the robot ones. Then a lot of other people started using it, so I switched to the moon pic.

The link to in sig is to a Martial Arts forum that I used to spend a lot of time at and I'm trying to help advertise.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    My username is something i came up with about 6-7 years ago for an online RPG game i was playing at the time and i have stuck with the same name since.

My user picture is from an anime called Berserk one of my fav anime's and im a huge fan of anime since back when i thought up the name of Tibul. icon_lol.gif

My signature is pritty boring its just the exams im aiming for at the moment and what im doing next.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hahaha......now that's funny blargoe

I like that..... Go to Hell Carolina.....that should apply to both South and North Carolina icon_lol.gif

so Darthn3ss why ewwww Irmo?? you heard of it? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.