1st CCIE lab attempt blog and help for candidates.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    is that a girl from worldcom?

It's just routergirl! Famous picture from back in the day. I believe that's a Cat 5000 she's loving.

A houseful today and studytime diverted into adminstration activities for my own company. I may do a little on the rack tonight. Sunday we are off for a family birthday and probably won't get in till later. So a fairly laid back weekend on the study front but I needed the break after the last few weeks. The next six weeks will be very busy study wise.
    Should be back on the rack later. IGP section next.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey Turgon, since no one has asked you this yet, who is that in your avatar?
    dynamik wrote:
    Hey Turgon, since no one has asked you this yet, who is that in your avatar?

It's the famous routergirl from the nineties making out with a Cat5000
    Got nowhere near the homerack again today. Far too much going on outside of labprep on the workfront right now. I think Sunday was the last time I fired up the rack. Im back on track now though and should get racking again on Wednesday.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Turgon wrote:

Dude, I was just teasing. You've been asked that in nearly every thread you've posted in, as well as twice (before me) in this thread ;)
    dynamik wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

Dude, I was just teasing. You've been asked that in nearly every thread you've posted in, as well as twice (before me) in this thread ;)

No worries!
    Saturday. The whole morning spent cleaning the house and there are still a few chores to do there. Meanwhile I have fired up the homerack and expect to be labbing the rest of the day to get into the guts of IWEB lab no 11. On the upside Im far less busy with work so I expect to have some significant time available to finally prepare for the lab during the best hours of the day. Perfect timing. It's been very difficult accumulating racktime while holding down a demanding contract and trying to be there for the family after work. Now I can get some proper sessions in during the day without endless distractions and dont have to rely on evening stints when I feel whacked after a busy day. It took a long time to accumulate over 500 hours on racks, but it's there anyway.
    Jason Bourne is a poor man's James Bond and lab 11 is full of 007 configurations. I just got done with the IGP section. A cute solution with virtual links, split horizon fun with EIGRP, metric adjustments for redistributing odd and even networks. The whole redistribution section was useful with problems with connected networks to overcome.

Some time with the family now then BGP tonight.
    IWEB Vol II lab 11

BGP and Multicast done. Both topics flowed very smoothly. My process is improving. IPv6/QoS/Security/System Management and IP Services on Sunday. More cleaning as well as shopping ahead of us there so Im glad I got some hours in today. Should have closure on lab 11 by COP Sunday.

Tonight..

BGP

aggregate address
    no private as
    distance

Mcast

mroute and tunnel
    bsr
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    ugh, lab 11. I did that one on Tuesday myself. Just looking at the diagrams you knew it would be an interesting IGP section lol

QoS and on is pretty straight forward though, it shouldn't take you long.
    GT-Rob wrote:
    ugh, lab 11. I did that one on Tuesday myself. Just looking at the diagrams you knew it would be an interesting IGP section lol

QoS and on is pretty straight forward though, it shouldn't take you long.

We will see! I just got done food shopping at the store. I will finish up on the lab after the cleaning is done in the house. IPv6 next. Once done I will find another witch of a lab remaining in the workbook to do next.
    IWEB Lab no 11 - DONE. Got those FRTS maths down now. IPv6 distribute list came up.

Lab 14 next up. Graded a 10. Should do this on remote racks.
    Yeah FRTS is tough at first, but once you get the basics down on how to calculate it all, its actually pretty easy.

Looking forward to your thoughts on a '10' lab. The 9s are ugly enough for me lol
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Yeah FRTS is tough at first, but once you get the basics down on how to calculate it all, its actually pretty easy.

Looking forward to your thoughts on a '10' lab. The 9s are ugly enough for me lol

I made a start today. So far so good. I have some significant time without work ahead of me now. Intention is to obliterate the remaining IWEB Vol II labs before Christmas, do a few mock exams and then take a charge at the lab in the Spring. I expect to get a lot done the next six weeks running into the start of the New Year. It's then a question of working on all those weak areas hard. If I can do that and pass the written I should be good to kick the lab's ass in March.
    Homerack prestaged for lab 14. Got as far as the frame relay section with it's bizarre virtual-template solution. Lack of an agreeable slot on the IWEB remote racks forced me to go homerack so some compromises made because of available equipment at home but so far so good. With a good session on Wednesday I hope to get though the whole thing by COP. Off to the movies now ith my Wife to see the new Bond movie.
    IWEB lab 14. Five hours put in today. Calling a halt now before the IPv6 section. Should get done with the rest on Thursday. A worthwhile lab covering lots of things. Particularly like the BGP section.
    I've got lab 14 scheduled for Friday. Really not looking forward to it lol Might just do to the end of BGP and leave some for the weekend if I can get a slot.
    IWEB Vol II lab 14 - DONE.

There is a simplicity to some of these things that I need to drum into my head. I will be spending sometime going over the labs and updating my notes. Lab 15 next on the remote racks..
    Lab 15. Got halfway through switching. Good old dot1q tunnel came up. We have a weekend away for a wedding now so I will be back on remote racks when we return on Sunday. Some notetaking planned for the week ahead to consolidate and practice the commands across the workbook labs. A spreadsheet with tabs works once I have been through the labs and noted on the lab document the commands worth recording. It's a pity the final configs for the labs are not available as a standalone document, I will have another look on the IWEB members area for those but it looks like the final configs are only recorded in the solutions guides along with the explanations and verifications. I suppose one could load the final configs on the remote racks and print them off.

Its been a good week on labs, at this rate I may be done with the remaining IWEB Vol II labs by Christmas.
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    How about evernote for making notes? Then all your notes will be online. I guess everyone has their own way of recording stuff. I find evernote for recording commands i learn at work useful. Then use mindomo (mindmaps) for learning. Still trying to find the perfect way of studying for me though.
    I've actually gone back to taking my notes on pen and paper. I find it just enters my brain better. Its also nice since I can take my notes to lunch/breakfast and flip through them while I eat.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    I've actually gone back to taking my notes on pen and paper. I find it just enters my brain better. Its also nice since I can take my notes to lunch/breakfast and flip through them while I eat.

And you don't have to worry about your battery dying! :)icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ITdude wrote:
    GT-Rob wrote:

And you don't have to worry about your battery dying! :)icon_wink.gif

haha, if my writing was legible and wasn't so slow then i expect i'd go down the handwritten route.
    IWEB Lab 15. WAN section complete. A loopback used for the PPP question. The interfaces and the link are not donated on the diagram. I can only imagine this is why ip unnumbered was called for.
    The IP unnumbered is still something that is new to me. I find I am not always clear when it should be used. There was a similar issue on lab 14 (I think), where you had each end of a PPP link on different subnets and an ip unnumbered to a loopback was the solution to find the remote subnet via peer group.
  • cblm123cblm123 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It must fall under the:

"The topics listed are guidelines and other relevant or related topics may also appear"
    cblm123 wrote:
    It must fall under the:

"The topics listed are guidelines and other relevant or related topics may also appear"

A lot of it about. I have often found R&S blueprints to be rather fluffy for the written and lab
    IWEB Vol II Lab 15 - IGP ad BGP done.

No sign in my solution guide of the config to prefer R4 over R3 to get to AS 10 routes although the given solution works. Strange.

For BGP ORF came up. Nice to see it after reading about it in 2006.
This discussion has been closed.