Options

Scheduled 640-801 (July 31st) Q&A

markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
I'm the type of person who needs a deadline to push me so I've scheduled the test for July 31st (2 weeks exactly). Considering the test didn't change from the time I took off until now I'm sure a strong 2-week locked door session should be enough. Back to business.
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    COOL! I just got off the phone from scheduling mine for August 3rd. Must get it done before November.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    or else you turn into a pumpkin..... :)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    markzab wrote:
    I'm the type of person who needs a deadline to push me so I've scheduled the test for July 31st (2 weeks exactly). Considering the test didn't change from the time I took off until now I'm sure a strong 2-week locked door session should be enough. Back to business.

markzab,

Good luck. You know where to come for help. :)
  • Options
    I'm going to use this thread as kind of a quick answer thread when something comes up during this 2-week cram session. Something just came up in my notes. Now granted I wrote these notes but the information was copied from Lammle's book.

I have it noted that the Transport layer handles end-to-end connection (TCP, UDP, Flow Control). That's all fine and dandy but I then read this note I had later on: The Data Link layer provides the physical transmission of the data and handles error notification, network topology, and flow control...

I'm just a little confused there. It was my understanding that flow control is at the Transport layer with buffering, windowing, and congestion avoidance. Is there also some type of flow control at the Data Link layer? Is it just a general term they're using there? Thanks.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    Might have found my own answer. A bit further into the DL layer it noted that the LLC "can provide flow control and sequencing of control bits".

I guess I'm looking for an explanation of the difference between the transport layer flow control and the DL layer flow control.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That would be my explanation to you as well... What is the max hop count of EIGRP? 255 or 224?
  • Options
    LOkrasa wrote:
    That would be my explanation to you as well... What is the max hop count of EIGRP? 255 or 224?

Ok, you completely lost me.
  • Options
    Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that my explanation to you would be the same as what you wrote as your answer in the post above my original one. Then I asked my own QnA that I just wanted to see if you maybe would know... Sybex says 255 and Cisco says 224... I dont know if the misprint is in Sybex or Cisco.
  • Options
    LOkrasa wrote:
    Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that my explanation to you would be the same as what you wrote as your answer in the post above my original one. Then I asked my own QnA that I just wanted to see if you maybe would know... Sybex says 255 and Cisco says 224... I dont know if the misprint is in Sybex or Cisco.

Oh, I gotcha. I wasn't sure if you were answering my question with a question. icon_lol.gif

Your question had been debated before on these boards a couple months ago. It's in one of the technotes here...

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/bsci/eigrp.shtml

It states that 224 is the correct max hop-count for EIGRP.
  • Options
    Sweet! Thanks. I knew the answer had to be here somewhere but I seriously just couldn't find it.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    :D mark youre back! where you been?
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    :D mark youre back! where you been?
    Good luck!!

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25172 icon_sad.gif

Thanks bro. I'm going to be using this thread as part of my cram session to just lay the questions out there as I go through my notes and other stuff. :)
  • Options
    Someone who's creative help me out.

DSPFB

Make me a sentence with 5 words starting with the letters above in that order. Something funny would help remember it best.

Don't Shoot People For Beer? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    markzab wrote:
    I'm going to use this thread as kind of a quick answer thread when something comes up during this 2-week cram session. Something just came up in my notes. Now granted I wrote these notes but the information was copied from Lammle's book.

I have it noted that the Transport layer handles end-to-end connection (TCP, UDP, Flow Control). That's all fine and dandy but I then read this note I had later on: The Data Link layer provides the physical transmission of the data and handles error notification, network topology, and flow control...

I'm just a little confused there. It was my understanding that flow control is at the Transport layer with buffering, windowing, and congestion avoidance. Is there also some type of flow control at the Data Link layer? Is it just a general term they're using there? Thanks.

markzab,

I guess to illustrate the difference, think of two computers with a switch in between.
                              [      ]
                              [Server]
    [PC1]-------[Switch]------[      ]

Now, recall that depending on the device, there's only so many OSI layers involved. As follows...
    [L 7]                     [L    7]
    [L 6]                     [L    6]
    [L 5]                     [L    5]
    [L 4]                     [L    4]
    [L 3]                     [L    3]
    [L 2]       [L    2]      [L    2]
    [L 1]       [L    1]      [L    1]

[      ]
                              [Server]
    [PC1]-------[Switch]------[      ]

Now, imagine the encapsulation process on PC1, let's say, a web browse to http://www.techexams.net on their favorite web browser. So the user data gets encapsulated from Layer 7 down to Layer 1, then the bits are transmitted from PC1 to the Switch. Then the switch undergoes the decapsulation process from Layer 1 to Layer 2, makes a frame forwarding decision, encapsulates the frame to bits then sends it out of the interface towards the server. At this point, there's been only one point where Transport Layer functionality has been used, which is on PC1. Then, the bits from the switch arrive on the NIC for the server, then the bits are decapsulated from Layer 1 up to Layer 7. So while the physical process of encapsulation, decapsulation, encapsulation, and decapsulation is going on between PC1 and the Server, that is the "flow control" at the Transport Layer. So a way to remember Transport Layer flow control is "system to system communications." Now, the switch, being a Data Link device, only knows and cares about layers 1 and 2. It doesn't really care about the Transport layer segment that's deeply embedded inside the Data Link frame. So that's where "flow control" comes in to the Data Link layer level. For Ethernet, that's the CSMA/CD process.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    Thanks bro. I'm going to be using this thread as part of my cram session to just lay the questions out there as I go through my notes and other stuff. :)

Sounds good I'll follow it as well I'm scheduling mine for the end of august, I need to get things together....you goin the one exam route I take it?
  • Options
    Oh P.S. Glad to see you back on the board!
  • Options
    So essentially the flow control isn't in regards to the data flow control when at the DL layer? It's more for the flow control between the switch and the host to get to the destination host? I'm probably digging too deep but I just like to know as much as possible.
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    markzab wrote:

Sounds good I'll follow it as well I'm scheduling mine for the end of august, I need to get things together....you goin the one exam route I take it?

Yes, 1 exam route. Thats how I did it in the past so I figured to do it again that way.
  • Options
    markzab wrote:

DSPFB

Make me a sentence with 5 words starting with the letters above in that order. Something funny would help remember it best.

Oh, and so nobody thinks I'm crazy... icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Data, Segment, Packet, Frame, Bits...just trying to print that order into my brain with an easy sentence to remember. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    icon_eek.gif I committed to a date august 25th!

Here I come
  • Options
    I actually brought this up about a month ago. about EIGRP's hop count. And it is 255 not 224. IF you go to any router wiht the lastest IOS and do a metric maximum-hops ?

the output will return with 255.
    Router(config)#router eigrp 1
    Router(config-router)#metric maximum-hops ?
      <1-255>  Hop count

this is from my 2610
    I was scratchin my head over this one for sure. I don;t know where 224 came up but the confusion it caused is all over the certification community. I googled it several times.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    That's strange because online and in the technotes it shows as 224.
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hmmmm I am just reviewing EIGRP here myself.
    Good to know that it is 255. that is a more familiar sounding number anyway right?
    But more importantly, I will surely swear a blue streak if I miss getting 85% because Cisco has it wrong!
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • Options
    elvantelvant Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    markzab wrote:

DSPFB

If you play games often, ever wish your pc can run more faster? And you might smash on your keyboard and shout

"I want BETTER FRAME RATE PER SECOND, DONKEY! "(BFPSD) icon_lol.gif
    What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.
  • Options
    wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    COOL! I just got off the phone from scheduling mine for August 3rd. Must get it done before November.

I know how that is(before november).....Reading the WAN technologies book now, them will probably schedule mine after I feel confident on that material

Good luck OP!
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice, I'mma have to use that Don't Shoot People For Beer line myself lol.

Does anyone happen to know where I can find a sheet or page that I can print up with all the different stuff summarized? Like update timers, etc. for RIP v1&2, OSPF, IGRP, EIGRP? Just for quick review type stuff.

I've read the Cisco Press books and probably gonna have to read over the Sybex book a 2nd time. I meant to have taken the exam already by now but I've gotten lazy, personal problems interfered and threw me off track for a bit.
  • Options
    iDShaDoW wrote:
    Nice, I'mma have to use that Don't Shoot People For Beer line myself lol.

Does anyone happen to know where I can find a sheet or page that I can print up with all the different stuff summarized? Like update timers, etc. for RIP v1&2, OSPF, IGRP, EIGRP? Just for quick review type stuff.

I've read the Cisco Press books and probably gonna have to read over the Sybex book a 2nd time. I meant to have taken the exam already by now but I've gotten lazy, personal problems interfered and threw me off track for a bit.

CCNA Technotes on this site should have all that information if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    Also the CCNA flash cards book has A LOT of summarized quicknotes at the end of the book. Might be worth a purchase if you can find a cheap used book from amazon.
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice, I didn't even know about the technotes lol, I just shadow the forums a lot and post now and then.

I'll have to swing by Borders and take a look at the flash cards book and see how those are.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Possible protocols found in the protocol field of an IP header:

ICMP 1
    IGRP 9
    EIGRP 88
    OSPF 89

etc...

Thats from my notes...those numbers are the port numbers, correct?