Options

CompTIA PDI+ beta [no longer available]

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I just took the PDI+ beta exam and I posted a review of it. The information on the exam was quite diverse, but it wasn't nearly as difficult as it could have been. I only needed to guess at four of the 115 questions. Most of the questions were worded well, but I could tell the ones that probably won't make it past the beta phase. I did leave a few comments, but overall I had no complaints with most of the questions. The PDI+ should end up being one of the more challenging CompTIA exams.
  • Options
    Bob KiwiBob Kiwi Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took the PDI yesterday, I have to say it was an interesting one.

There were a good bit of extremely easy, A+ style questions on hardware identification and customer relations (e.g. "A customer appears! What do you do? A) Insult, B) Ignore, C) Lie to, D) Help").

There were also a lot of questions on the whole hardware process, of which I am not extremely familiar with. But for anyone who knows their laser printers inside and out, I can't imagine this would be that hard.

If I fail (which, unless the passing score is like 60-70%) I think I can pass it when it goes live in 2008 with some studying and more experience.

All in all, I'm glad I signed up for it- hoping I pass even though I didn't do too stellar!
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Bob Kiwi wrote:
    I just took the PDI yesterday, I have to say it was an interesting one.

There were a good bit of extremely easy, A+ style questions on hardware identification and customer relations (e.g. "A customer appears! What do you do? A) Insult, B) Ignore, C) Lie to, D) Help").

There were also a lot of questions on the whole hardware process, of which I am not extremely familiar with. But for anyone who knows their laser printers inside and out, I can't imagine this would be that hard.

If I fail (which, unless the passing score is like 60-70%) I think I can pass it when it goes live in 2008 with some studying and more experience.

All in all, I'm glad I signed up for it- hoping I pass even though I didn't do too stellar!
    I had the same overall feeling for the exam. I hope that they might be able to tell us our results within a couple of months after 31 August. I have heard good stores where they told you your passing mark 6-8 weeks after the BETA ends to the last BETA they had where most candidates did not receive their results until 5-6 months after the BETA ended.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    matradley wrote:
    I hope that they might be able to tell us our results within a couple of months after 31 August. I have heard good stores where they told you your passing mark 6-8 weeks after the BETA ends to the last BETA they had where most candidates did not receive their results until 5-6 months after the BETA ended.

It would be nice if we got are results with 8 weeks but I don't think we will until right before the exam goes live which will be in the beginning of 2008. I don't expect to hear anything until the end of the year but time will tell I guess.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

did any one of you use a VUE center for the exam?

I can not find the exam on their site icon_confused.gif:, I sent them a mail but I'm afraid that by the time I get the reply it would be too late .. I have until 21-Aug to register.

Thanks.
  • Options
    It should be under CompTIA testing. pdiqh5.jpg
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options

I scheduled the exam for 26-08 ..

:)
  • Options
    Not to re-activate a thread in limbo - the BETA is done. I wonder who long for us to begin receiving our information? If anyone hears anything, keep us posted! :D
  • Options
    RegretThinkRegretThink Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    matradley wrote:
    No to re-activate a thread in limbo - the BETA is done. I wonder who long for us to begin receiving our information? If anyone hears anything, keep us posted! :D

I'm guessing 2-3 months...
  • Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got a rejection letter! I guess having over 10 yrs experience wasn't good enough icon_lol.gif
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • Options
    laneh wrote:
    I got a rejection letter! I guess having over 10 yrs experience wasn't good enough icon_lol.gif
    Maybe they ran out of vouchers when you applied.
  • Options
    RegretThinkRegretThink Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    laneh wrote:

Pretty sure your OVER qualified being this is an entry level printer/scanner/fax technician exam.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Just got this from Comptia:

"Beta exam scores will be available March/April 2008"

Quite a ways away!

-Travis
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Just received an email saying the beta exam scores will be available March/April 2008.......so we have some time to wait it look like.......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Looks like they are taking some serious measures to ensure the integrity of the exam.
  • Options
    matradley wrote:
    Looks like they are taking some serious measures to ensure the integrity of the exam.
    Or they're making some serious revisions to the exam and getting ready for a second beta.
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Printers, whether physical or LDAP/AD administration are what has caused me the most grief in my entire IT career.

Enjoy boys, I'm staying far away.
  • Options
    andygeeandygee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    matradley wrote:
    Or they're making some serious revisions to the exam and getting ready for a second beta.

I think this is right as some of the questions/answers from what i can remeber were just plain wrong and if the advice was taken on safety issues dangrous or in the case of the customer service questions also not a good idea if you want to retain the customer.

Also it is so entry level that most of the people its aimed at ie printer/copier techs will find it of little use as they will be way over the level of testing.

I have trained people of the level they ask for and to be honest i know our in house tests will test them far more they will also cost less to the company andor employee.
  • Options
    Looks like the CompTIA PDI+ exam goes live on Jan 7th 2008.

http://certification.comptia.org/pdi/default.aspx

I also checked my prometric exam history and it said I failed the PDI+ beta exam icon_sad.gif

I haven't recieved an email yet from CompTIA so you guys who took the beta exam might want to check your prometric or vue exam history to see if there are any new results.
  • Options
    mrj wrote:
    Printers, whether physical or LDAP/AD administration are what has caused me the most grief in my entire IT career.

Enjoy boys, I'm staying far away.

Printers have caused me a few problems as well. I don't think I am going to retake this exam again unless it becomes really in demand.
  • Options
    my result have not been posted yet .. I used vue the status: taken

my exam was on 19-Aug-2007.

I thought the scores would be available in April 2008 icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    I just received an advert email from CompTIA about the PDI+ exam, excerpted below:
    CompTIA PDI+ will be generally available Jan. 7, 2008, and to commemorate its launch, CompTIA is offering the exam at a special introductory price of $199 ($168 for CompTIA Corporate Members). This is a savings of up to $33.

To pre-order your voucher now, click here.

This limited-time offer will expire Feb. 29, 2008. You will receive your voucher when the exam is available on Jan. 7, 2008. All vouchers purchased using this offer will expire April 30, 2008.

Follow this link to find CompTIA PDI+ training materials.
  • Options
    Bob KiwiBob Kiwi Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Prometric also says I failed, but that comes as no surprise to me- I am by far not a printer expert, and teching them is not what I do. But a free test is a free test, and they made it seem like they wanted a wide berth of experience.

I'd like to know if I get a score report to see how horribly I failed! icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    What's the URL for test takers to log into the Prometric site to check their scores? I can't seem to find it.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
  • Options
    Try https://www.register.prometric.com/Login.asp

you will see Candidate History to the left
    Ah yes, that's the ticket. And according to Prometric, I did pass the PDI+ exam I took on 11 Aug 2007. :D
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Good Deal, Congrats!

I'm still a bit bitter with how they handled my situation... I signed up the same day this was posted here and did not get a response from them until the Beta Test was over saying, while we feel you would make a fine candidate for the exam, we have enough Beta testers at this time.... Right.....

icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Really, that is cool that you passed!
  • Options
    Really, that is cool that you passed!
    Thanks, but it's not "for real" until CompTIA says so.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Anyone from Vue receive results yet?

-Travis
  • Options
    theseman wrote:
    Anyone from Vue receive results yet?

-Travis

Not yet, it still shows the status as Taken !
This discussion has been closed.