Options

Quit New Job?

2»

Comments

• Options
    vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm staying on for now. The new company seems to be willing to wait until I make up my mind. I'm still thinking about it.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Personally if it were me I would require something much more than just $5,000 to make such a switch. My integrity and reputation both are very important to me. I am planning to leave a company that I have enjoyed working for and have spent a few years with just because I have strong disagreements with some of the things I am seeing now (and have not been passive about it, but have a number of documented e-mails out regarding the events). If I accepted a position I would feel that I owe it to my employer to give them a fair chance. I don't think I could ever see myself leaving after just one week unless I found it to be a very bad work environment or I had a moral opposition to something taking place in the company that I was not aware of prior to being hired.

Think of it from the other side. That employer has had HR, IT, and management likely involved in the interview process. They may have told the other candidates they interviewed that they selected someone else who accepted the position and it was filled. They may no longer have any other options and might need to start from scratch. They certainly made a large investment in offering you that position. If you were the owner, would you want someone leaving after a week for just $5,000?

If you do decide to leave, definitely be honest and upfront with them about why you are doing so.

EDIT: I had a phone call while typing this and didn't refresh when I resumed typing to see you message. That sounds like a wise decision.
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    If I was to take the new job, would I have to give 2 weeks notice or that rule wouldn't apply here since I've only been working for them for a week.

There is no "rule" about giving two weeks notice. It's a nice gesture if you've been at the company for a long time and want to help them with the transition. The main reason to do this is to leave on good terms with your employer so you'll have a good work reference, and in case you decide to come back and work for them at a later date. (This is not all that rare any more). However, there are plenty of companies that let people go without *any* notice, so I would never feel bad about not giving 2-weeks notice if you need to start your other job immediately.

If you've only been on this current job a week, there is probably a lot that you are still learning about the job. It's doubtful that you'll be able to accomplish much in 2 weeks when you're still learning the job. The company will probably let you go as soon as you hand in your letter of resignation, regardless of when you want to leave.

Another alternative is to speak with your current manager and explain the new job offer. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask him/her to match this other offer if you are comfotable taking the other job. You have the upper hand.
  • Options
    Job hoping after a week...hmmmm, wonder what a future recruiter would think after looking at your resume... I'd say stick it out, see how it goes and you could possibly end up getting a raise, promotion or even a new position. This company picked you, I'd show a little loyalty. If anything, this could be a good opportunity to network with current employees and get a good recommendation from your site manager. Just my two abe lincolns.

I always think it's hilarious that people think you need to list every job you've ever held on your resume. Anybody who quit a job after a week and still puts it on their resume is a grade-A dumbass. Explaining a 6-month gap on your resume may be problematic, but a 1-week gap? Nobody will ever even ask about it. This should be common sense, folks.

Being loyal to a company went the way of the dinosaur a long time ago in corporate America. No matter how secure you think your job is, or how fair you think your boss is, that company will eliminate your position the second they feel it becomes neccessary. You need to do what's in your best interest, or you'll never be happy. That isn't to say that taking this new job is the right decision, or that sticking with your current job is the way to go. That is something that only you can decide, but *NEVER* fall into the trap of expecting your loyalty to be rewarded. You can't pass up an offer because of the possibility that you *may* be rewarded with a future promotion or raise. The only question you can ask yourself is whether the $5,000 pay raise is worth it.

Simply put, this is a job and not a marriage. No matter how much you enjoy your job, the bottom line is that you work because you need the money. If you have a good boss, then they will understand that you want to make a better life for yourself. If they hold it against you, then you're better off not working for someone like that.
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    for 5K most of the 'benefit' will be lost to the taxes you'll be paying. I wouldn't find it worth it and frankly shame on you for not researching/following-up with this new position better or waiting it out.

As an employer, I wouldn't care if you gave 2 weeks notice or not. You've wasted time and resources of this employer who granted you a job in the first place with the intention of training you as one of their own. After 1 short week you are jumping ship. Frankly, disgusting considering the job market, however the true decision is yours....you simply were asking for opinions. You got mine.

Yes, it's absolutely "disgusting" that somebody would act in their best financial interest. How dare someone practice capitalism the way it's supposed to be practiced!!! Only rich corporations are supposed to do that! Even if the "job market" is as bad as you seem to imply (it isn't, at least not in the US), then it makes a lot more sense to take the best job. If jobs are hard to come by, who knows when the next "better offer" will come around? It also makes no sense to expect him to "wait it out" in a tight job market. That's a pretty large contradiction.

People who think companies are doing them a favor by employing them are fools who lack confidence in their abilities and likely undervalue their worth. They're much more likely to be stuck in a miserable job out of some misguided sense of "loyalty", and I'm sorry, but that isn't the way I want to live. A job is a mutual relationship folks...the company benefits every bit as much as the employee. If somebody is willing to pay you more to do the same job and you can handle the other factors, then go for it. Don't even think twice about it. Do what makes you happy, and *NEVER* put a company before your own personal needs. Life is too short for that bullshit.
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Yes, disgusting because he did interview with both. If he failed to follow-up properly or convey he needed to know their answer because he's already received a firm offer....he failed as an applicant.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. If a person accepts a job offer, then hears back from a company he previously interviewed with shortly thereafter, how is that anyone's fault? Some companies have a notoriously long interview process. I've interviewed and applied for jobs and not heard anything back for over 2 months, even when I've followed up. No amount of following up is going to speed up the decision if there are still people left to interview.

Also, I would never recommend telling company A that you've already accepted a job offer from company B before company A has offered you a job. I can see that being a decent negotiating tactic in some circumstances, but I think many employers could write you off at that point. If company B called to offer you a job, then that's the time to explain your situation. Don't show your hand until you need to. It sounds like that's what happened here, and I see absolutely no problem with that.
    Sure, do what to many people do in the US and have no respect for things around you and think of yourself exclusively. icon_evil.gif

If you don't look out for yourself when it comes to job hunting, then nobody else will. Again, a job is nothing more than a mutual financial relationship that can be terminated at any time. It's not an emotional relationship with a significant other. If a manager expects applicants and employees to cater to his needs when it comes to filling positions, then he chose the wrong profession. Stuff like this is part of corporate life. Having respect for yourself and your family is more important than having respect for how hard your manager's job is. That's what it comes down to in most cases.

Point is, if he interviewed with both, and he's only been at the job a week, he hardly 'waited' for the other job to come through.

How do you know when he interviewed with each company? He could have interviewed for the "new" company 3 months prior to accepting his current job. And why does it matter? If you're in need of a job, you don't "wait" to see what may come from other interviews.

I also didn't see anything written about him contacting this Second company when he received his first offer to try to counter offer at that point.

Why would he? Do you seriously contact *every* company you've interviewed/applied with recently when some company offers you a job? Maybe I go on more interviews than most when I'm job-hunting, but that simply isn't feasible. It's also pretty pointless if I've already followed up with that employer and been told that I won't hear anything for a couple weeks/months.
    As written he simply took the job and a week later received a call from the other company. BOO HOO. For 5K it's hardly worth $96.15 before taxes to look unprofessional.

An extra $5,000 would work out to about $3,000 for me after taxes in my state. That's a couple mortgage payments or a lot more money that can be invested in a 401K, which will amount to a lot more than $3,000 in the long run. There are certainly other factors to consider (commute time, work environment, job security, etc.), but that's hardly chump change if you know what you're doing.
    It's still his choice, but to me it reads as someone didn't do their homework properly and now want to shuck the responsibility for accepting a position with a company they really didn't want.

If somebody has 2 job offers on the table, then he definitely did his homework properly. You seem to be upset that he even allowed himself to be offered the job, considering you're attacking him before he's even made a decision.
    In a time when so many complain about lack of work...reading about lack of respect for work is showing that times just aren't tough enough for people to appreciate a job when they have it.

Again, if you merely "appreciate" the fact that you have a job then you're never going to live up to your career potential. People who are good at their jobs know how to market themselves and maximize their salary and potential. Employers aren't doing employees a favor...they hired you because they need you. If they want to keep you badly enough, they will find a way. If not, then head to where you'll be happy.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Maybe it is an unfounded observation, but this thread seems to be getting more and more personal as it goes and less about providing an opinion to our buddy trying to make a tough decision.

Personally I don't think a $5,000 difference would be much of a deciding factor between jobs. I would hardly call taking it simply because it is a bigger number looking out for your best interests either. There are much more important things to consider than just the money, and that is why vistalavista is going to need it to sort it out and make a decision since he is the only one all of the information. Sometimes harming your reputation can cost you much more in the long run than 5K per year.
    bighusker wrote:
    Yes, it's absolutely "disgusting" that somebody would act in their best financial interest. How dare someone practice capitalism the way it's supposed to be practiced!!! Only rich corporations are supposed to do that!

I would actually view truly practicing capitalism as taking advantage of the best economic situation available in a free enterprise market such as what exists in the United States. Based upon the current tax structure and limited government involvement compared to most of the world that would clearly be owning a business as compared to choosing between a 5K difference in salary working for someone else. I currently work for someone else, but also own two of my own businesses with the ultimate goal being to have all of my income coming from my own business. A free enterprise economy rewards those who provide the greatest benefit to others. Filling a job that is in high demand and requires a particular skillset provides a great benefit to society than filling a job that requires little skill or education, therefore it pays better. Owning a business and provided a needed product or service can often be a way of reaching much more people and providing an even greater benefit to society, which is why it also typically pays more. Whether or not you are successful in either endeavor is based solely upon your own merit and ability to produce in your particular area of expertise.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are making 25k and that extra 5k takes you up to 30k, that is a big deal. If you are making 65k and that extra 5k takes you up to 70k, then it is not such a big deal.

As far as loyalty to a company, I saw what happened to my mother. Years of working long hours to be reward by being laid off. I will not fall for that line of BS.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    If you are making 25k and that extra 5k takes you up to 30k, that is a big deal. If you are making 65k and that extra 5k takes you up to 70k, then it is not such a big deal.

As far as loyalty to a company, I saw what happened to my mother. Years of working long hours to be reward by being laid off. I want fall for that line of BS.

That's very true Andy. I'm sorry to hear about that. When it comes to employment you need to look out for yourself these days.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hear all of you on the loyalty to a company, but I do feel a sense of loyalty to some of the individuals within a company who have helped me along the way. You never know who you may need to call on in the future - I know I have been surprised at who I have had make contact with.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bighusker wrote:
    Lots of stuff

You said absolutely everything I was going to otherwise have said, I agree completely.

I'm also pleased to see Plantwiz being given a hard time for his post, as he should be. To me your (Plantwiz) post seemed downright bitter more than anything else. Upset that someone else has been offered multiple positions in such a "bad market" (I put that in quotes, it might only be a bad market for you personally)
    blargoe wrote:
    I hear all of you on the loyalty to a company, but I do feel a sense of loyalty to some of the individuals within a company who have helped me along the way. You never know who you may need to call on in the future - I know I have been surprised at who I have had make contact with.

I agree. Blind loyalty to a company is not a good thing, and will only hurt a persons opportunities in the future. That being said, its always important to try and keep as many friends as possible.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tesl wrote:
    I'm also pleased to see Plantwiz being given a hard time for his post, as he should be. To me your (Plantwiz) post seemed downright bitter more than anything else. Upset that someone else has been offered multiple positions in such a "bad market" (I put that in quotes, it might only be a bad market for you personally)

No, it's not right to jump on someone based on their opinion on a topic that is open for opinions. There is never an excuse to be rude or "give someone a hard time" simply because you disagree. It's obvious that many disagree with Plantwiz, but we need to keep things professional and in perspective.
    Schluep wrote:
    Maybe it is an unfounded observation, but this thread seems to be getting more and more personal as it goes and less about providing an opinion to our buddy trying to make a tough decision.

Right on target Schluep.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Opinions were asked, and Plantwiz gave his. Ya'll get your feelings hurt too easily.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe - good point about loyalty to the people you work with that have helped along the way.

In general, the thread has gotten a little personal. There are two sides to the situation that of the employee and that of the employer. you do not have to agree with someone else but their opinion should be respected. don't worry Plantwiz can handle herself.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Tesl wrote:

No, it's not right to jump on someone based on their opinion on a topic that is open for opinions. There is never an excuse to be rude or "give someone a hard time" simply because you disagree. It's obvious that many disagree with Plantwiz, but we need to keep things professional and in perspective.

I easily agree with Tesl's opinion. Moderator or no moderator Plantwiz is the one who is wrong, jumping on people and throwing around her over opinionated propaganda like this :
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Yes, disgusting because he did interview with both. If he failed to follow-up properly or convey he needed to know their answer because he's already received a firm offer....he failed as an applicant. Sure, do what to many people do in the US and have no respect for things around you and think of yourself exclusively. icon_evil.gif
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well before this thread gets locked...Ill throw in my 2 cents...

You obviously care about the situation, so you have a conscience which is good. Many people have very valid thoughts on this. I personally tend to agree with the "survival of the fittest" theory and take whatever job you want. All you need to ask yourself is this:

1. Am I happy where Im at now?
    2. would the extra incentives (eg more money) really meet MY expectations?
    3. Do I like the people I work with now? What is the risk of going to a new company (again) and the employees there are complete jerks?
    4. Commute?
    5. Job duties/Stress Level?

there are so many more questions, but those are a few off the top of my head

In all honesty though, its your call. I don't think people should be judging you either way. I think this is a case you will probably be happy with whatever decision you make.

best of luck!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm having mixed feeling on whether this thread needs to be locked or not. While I consider a request to do that I will make a few comments.

garv221 & Turgon - Plantwiz responded to a RFC. The reply given may or may not agree with others opinions, but it is first and foremost an opinion - there is no right or wrong in that, but a personal observation. I think perhaps putting forward your own opinion rather than taking Plantwiz to task would be a far better idea.

Now for my own personal opinion on this.

While I can see that an extra 5K can be a huge incentive I do not believe it would be the proper thing to do ** As an owner or manager of several businesses over the years I know the costs involved in staff replacement and have been burned many times over the years by employees doing that. What it does do is make me as an employer a lot more cautious and put in place strategies that limit my exposure, which sometimes makes life tough for a new employee. As for myself, I always had a strict ethic in my own dealings that if I accept a position I will endeavour to give it my best shot. Several times I have been made better offers shortly after starting a new position and have always turned them down because that is my personal ethos.

** A proviso to this is if there is a Trial Period. A trial period should be a 2 way street and I was taught to always make sure that a new employee knew that just as I could decide not to take them on permanently that they also had the right to decline not to stay in my employ. Likewise, when applying for a job and they mention a trial period I always say "yes, but I would also like to reserve the right to move on during that trial period if I do not feel comfortable here".
    This sometimes ruffles the feathers of youngsters working for employment agencies but when put to someone of authority they can usually see the sense in that.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RussS wrote:
    I'm having mixed feeling on whether this thread needs to be locked or not. While I consider a request to do that I will make a few comments.

garv221 & Turgon - Plantwiz responded to a RFQ. The reply given may or may not agree with others opinions, but it is first and foremost an opinion - there is no right or wrong in that, but a personal observation. I think perhaps putting forward your own opinion rather than taking Plantwiz to task would be a far better idea.

Hi Russs

I have tried to be constructive in this thread. Advice was sought by the original poster on what to do next not judgement on how the guy has wasted employers time by not following up. Perhaps he didn't follow up properly, but isn't that a little unfair given we don't know all the details?

I agree that some of the replies have been rather colourful, but certainly not mine.

As moderator I shall take your advice on board and hopefully what has been discussed will be helpful to many people.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm very sorry to see this lack of respect for a moderator who's been devoting time to support us for years. Regardless of how she expressed here obviously strong but movitated opinion, some of the comments in this topic are out of line. We are all humans here in this forum, our posts don't go through a publishing process like my TechNotes, but are honest opinions. If you ask for an opinion don't always expect it to be what you want to hear or to be 'the right answer' or always match the opinion of most others.

For those whose replies I've removed, 'after' Turgon's reply, I suggest reading Russ's reply and take it at the very least as a hint.