Do you drink 8 glass of water/day?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
No. but I drink 4-5 glasses coffee/tea/juice!

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    No.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Did you hear the one about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac?

He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog?
    icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I'll say right now that religious topics are considered out-of-scope for the discussion forums on TechExams.net. If this thread gets even a little "heated" it will disappear real quick.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't like hot water unless I'm soaking in it or it's going into tea. ;)

I have two big bottles of water that I fill and drink everyday. It's probably close to eight glasses.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Does anyone know the exact reason behind this 8 glasses a day theory

I read that it contributes towards burning off your daily calorie intake, 1 calorie used is equal to 1 gram of water raised by 1 degree celsius. So if you drink very cold water then your body will warm it up hence burning calories.

Any other theories

Lee H
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I drink probably closer to about 15 glasses a day. I hate pop/most juice, so it is usually my only fluid.

Also, I bike to and from work, and run about 25k a week.

Supertech - très drôle :D
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Personally, I drink a 12 fl oz mug of green tea every day, and average about 200 fl oz of water. I also have some liquid in protein shakes or home-made fruit smoothies (healthy ones) that I make on certain days depending on how much exercise I have time for.

As displayed above I actually drink quite a bit more than that recommendation. Most reports I have seen recently actually suggest a substantially higher amount than the 8 glass recommendation from what I have seen. It is not for weight loss reasons, but for hydration reasons however. I find that when I am well hydrated I have a lot more energy, can focus much better, and can get better work-outs in.

Clicking here can explain the research behind the weight loss and digestion issues related to different temperatures of drinks better than I can (bottom line is that there really isn't any research to support it such claims at this time).
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    no I do not and I really should

I drink way too much coffee and pop (soda)
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    But one thing I'm confused about is this: Is it 8 glass of water or 8 glasses of liquid? My doctor once told me water was an easy job on your system as it doesn't have to filter it or to decide what to do with sugar, sodium, artificial colors, caffine, and many other elements contained in liquids. That doesn't mean water is pure and doesn't contain elements, but overall he was reccommending water. So in other words, since human body is mainly made up of water (if I remember my grade 5 biology :) , although not sure), it can mate with water easier.

But because of too much commercialization, we're hooked on drinking pop and other drinks. Not that they're bad, just that our system don't like them as much as water.

When first humans emerged on earth, I'm sure the first thing they drank was water; I'm sure when they gathered to watch wrestling in the jungle, they weren't surrouned by Pepsi commericals icon_lol.gif
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Drink enough water until your urine is colorless.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Hi

Just thought i would share this found knowledge on urine colours, last post made me find out if clear urine is healthy

Clear urine
    If a person has been drinking an excess of water or diuretics such as coffee or beer, the urine may have little or no color. Typically, it is nothing to worry about if it happens occasionally.

Yellow urine
    Excess sweating could result in the urine becoming a deeper yellow. Also, it is a sign that you have not been drinking enough liquids

Dark yellow urine
    Liver problems or jaundice can cause the urine to become consistently a dark yellow color. Be sure you have been drinking enough fluids before jumping to conclusions.

Orange urine
    People who eat too many carrots--like from a juicer--may see orange urine. Also, too much Vitamin C can turn the urine orange.

Brown urine
    Brown urine can an indication of a serious condition. It could be caused by liver disease, hepatitis, melanoma cancer, or copper poisoning. Other symptoms from those ailments should also be considered as indicators. But note that if you had recently eaten fava beans or taken a laxative, your urine also could turn brown.

Greenish urine
    A urinary tract infection, bile problems and certain drugs can cause the urine to turn greenish. A brighter green color is an indication of an excess of B vitamins.

Blue urine
    Urine with a bluish tint can be caused by a psuedomonas bacterial infection. It can also be an indication of high levels of calcium.

Reddish urine
    There are a number of things that can cause the urine to have a red tint.

Blood
    A small amount of blood in the urine can give it a red tint. Sometimes droplets of blood are seen. A bladder infection, kidney stones or bladder stones can result in urine with red in it. Also, a slight injury to the bladder or kidney can result in bleeding into the urine. Some professional boxers have been known to pass blood in their urine after a fight.

If you see what looks like blood in your urine, it is a good idea to go to the doctor to check the condition.

Food
    Eating beets can result in reddish-purple urine.

Acidic urine will turn red after eating blackberries. Alkaline urine will look reddish after eating rhubarb. Whether your urine is acidic or alkaline is usually determined by other foods you have eaten.

Candy or pills with a dye can temporarily turn the urine red.

Poison
    Lead or mercury poisoning can turn the urine reddish. If you suspect you have ingested and have been handling those toxic metals, and your urine is red, you should see your physician.

Lee H
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Food
    Eating beets can result in reddish-purple urine.

Lee H

This is always interesting particularly at the beginning of Beet season and when you forgotten you'd eaten beets for dinner.....makes you think a moment ;)

Beets actually turn other waste....oh never mind icon_twisted.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Okay Plantwiz, you've totally grossed me out now and got Lee started too, thank you very much. icon_pale.gif

I hope I never see another thread with THIS much information again! icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    icon_cheers.gif

Missing accomplished!

Lee is quite resourceful ;) Nice add Lee!
    Plantwiz
    _____

• paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Yellow urine
    Excess sweating could result in the urine becoming a deeper yellow. Also, it is a sign that you have not been drinking enough liquids

Strange... I always thought yellow urine to be healthy. Considering urine always turns yellow (opposed to clear) after consuming a daily vitamin.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    being in a desert, they always tell you to drink water. I drink about 6-8 water bottles a day, even in the winter. I try not to bring my soda back from lunch anymore. I usually do the 2 cups of coffee or one big energy drink a day; I also have been cutting back on those as well. However, I am an avid fan of soda, as well as other beverages of the "21 and older" (18 in other places) type.

water=source of life. No water, no life. That pretty much drives me to drink more water.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I drink like a camel that is about to cross the desert...every day.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Yellow urine

Strange... I always thought yellow urine to be healthy. Considering urine always turns yellow (opposed to clear) after consuming a daily vitamin.

Well....without turning this into a suppliment debate.....your basically peeing out your money with them and that color you see....the dyes from the pills to make you think it's going through you.

I've posted this link:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2096672.stm

There are many quacks posting junk on-line about pros and cons, but the BBC tends to be very good about the articles they allow to print (in line with checking for resources).

If you are interested in this further, I may suggest you you investigate into how things metabolize and such. Consider a beet. It's healthy because of how your body processes the beet, not solely because it contains 'x' nutriet.

I'm sure there are a few other suppliments that are useful, but the only one I can mention with confidence is Glucosamine. Glucosamine has been shown in several of my friends to repair soft tissue around their joints. One person didn't bother to tell his doctor he had been taking it, and when going back for a knee recheck...the doc asked him if he had done anything during his recovery (excersises, etc..) my friend replied he'd been taking Glucosamine for the past 6 months. The doc smiled and was partially glad he hadn't been told ahead, because that made the results all the more dramatic for him....my friends knee had begun to regenerate protective tissue...to such a rate that it almost looked like a healthy knee...almost...as it had more time, but enough to not resemble the knee x-ray'ed 6 months earlier at the time of surgery.

Sorry, back to 8 glasses of H2O ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    paintb4707 wrote:
    ... I always thought yellow urine to be healthy. Considering urine always turns yellow (opposed to clear) after consuming a daily vitamin.

If you want to test it drink only water (not soda, coffee, energy drinks) for one day. Drink at least 200 oz of water and it will likely be clear throughout all of or the majority of the day. Personally I drink about 160 oz minimum per day and mine is always clear.

Now, to complete the test put some sugar in your water when you drink it and watch it turn yellow. This simulates the effect of the soda without the articifial coloring and preservatives and shows that even just sugar alone being added can make it turn yellow.

As for supplements, they are much like any other product/service. Some are good, some are average, and others are bad. If you want higher quality products you will likely need to do more research and reading (NOT the information put out by a company that tells you their supplement is the best in the world, but independant research). Also, higher quality usually comes with a higher price (although sometimes low quality has a high price and better marketing which is where the research comes in).

Best way to test a supplement and how well you are absoring it and/or making use of it (and making sure you aren't getting too much combining it with your food) is to visit your Doctor and have some bloodwork done. Obtain the full report and then start taking the supplement you researched without making any other major dietary changes. After a couple weeks go have the bloodwork done again and see what changes. Be careful of tests performed just on the skin to test things such as carotenoids as there is far greater degree of inaccuracy. Plantwiz mentioned some Glucosamine supplements being beneficial, but that doesn't mean that all of them are. In fact some supplements in the U.S. labelled as Glucosamine and claiming to contain a certain amount actually do not contain any Glucosamine at all!

Another thing to avoid with supplements are synthetic vitamins and vitamins made from plant concentrates at company's using pesticides on their crops. Synthetic vitamins are usually not well absorbed by the body due to the lack of phyto-nutrients and a concentrated vitamin would then also have the concentrated pestacides. If you really want to take supplementation seriously it does take time.

Since this topic is starting to swing a bit now I will try to tie it back in to the original again. Drinking more water is definitely in your best interest. Water and Soda/Energy Drinks/Coffee are NOT the same thing as indicated by the urine discussion.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I drink

soda at lunch
    Water during the workday
    Tea/100% Juice at night

That is usually what I drink throughout every day.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Hi

A Californian woman has died after taking part in a water-drinking contest, but why is too much water dangerous?

We are regularly advised to drink more water: it clears skin, reduces tiredness and aids concentration.

But the death of a woman in the US after taking part in a water-drinking contest shows you can have too much of a good thing.

Jennifer Strange had taken part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" game, which promised the winner a Nintendo Wii. Afterwards she reportedly said her head was hurting and went home, where she was later found dead. Initial tests have shown her death is consistent with water intoxication

Full Story also mentions Leah Betts had died of water intoxication in 1990, though it was repoted to be the extacy tablet that killed her

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6263029.stm

Lee H
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I usually drink water upon waking up with a caffeine pill, and then at least 64-96 ounces of water during the work day and then when I get home more water plus protein shakes.

Oh and the occasional homebrew or two... Heck i'll even swing for a good microbrew once in a while.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a good thing for me there's water in coffee icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

A Californian woman has died after taking part in a water-drinking contest, but why is too much water dangerous?

Moderation for just about anything. Chocolate even has an LD50 rating. The point I'd like to make with water and it seems those who've chimed it are also pointing out....is that water cools/cleans/hydrates the body. Most of your body is made up of water. The more one perspires or is in a very dry environement (extreme cold or extreme heat) will require water to help cool down the body. If you need to hydrate...you'll be best surved by reaching for water (not getting into distilled, bottled, filtered, well, or city types)...let's pretend it's 'clean' and 'safe'. Soda contains not even real sugar today, but aspartme and other chemicals where by themselves are pretty toxic (heat aspartme and it is a very close relative to phlemedahyde). Alcholol dehydrates the body. Despite all the claims of young consumers stating it gives them a 'high'...it's really dehyrating the body and depressing it's systems. Fruits/vegetables and even meat (to some extent) are things that can hydrate the body to keep it alert and functioning. The discussion of water comes up with as food and eating habits of those in America typically are (and there are likely members who take very good care of their body), the fast-foods and sodas pollute the body and water and the 8-glass rule is a nice guideline to attempt to purge these pollutants from ones body...........And the likelihood of a person truly consuming 8 glasses in a day....usually falls short to about 5 or 6 glasses.

At one point I replaced soda with only water and made sure I drank 2L a day. Without changing anything else...I dropped 20 pounds. There may be days you cannot drink 8, it's simply a guideline to replace the salts and pseudo-sugars that exist in food.

Heck, eating snow in a survival situation can kill you.....but it will depend on the conditions and the person (in this case it's better to warm the snow into water and drink)...but if you are in no condition to create a fire and you cannot use your body heat to melt it quickly enough....water...frozen or not is better then none at all.

As far as drinking water to ones death....we'll I've heard this story before and while very real...it isn't the norm.
    Plantwiz
    _____

Hi

I agree with what everyone has said about drinking water, more reasons too drink water than there is not to i guess, even though i am a coke zero junkie myself

Here are some facts about water.........My favourite is the one about the Big Mac icon_lol.gif

If you drop a frog into boiling water it will hop straight back out again, but if you put it in cold water and heat it slowly the frog will boil to death.

There is the exact amount of water on Earth today as when the Earth was formed. Water is never totally consumed. It always recycles itself, in one form or another.

It is possible to drown and not die. Technically the term 'drowning' refers to the process of taking water into the lungs, not to death caused by that process.

Juice that has 'all natural' written on the label even if it has less than 20% or 10% of juice... the water is natural, so the contents are 'all natural'

The elephant can smell water up to 3 miles away. Also, a dogs' nose is so sensitive that it can tell the difference between a tub of water and a tub of water with a teaspoon of salt in it.

Why are those gossip-hunting spies called eavesdroppers? It is because in Middle English, the water that falls from the eaves of a house was called eavesdrop, and eavesdropper was first used to describe someone who would stand close to a house in order to hear what was going on inside.

The Catholic Herald, published in Great Britain, warms about the dangers of drinking holy water from religious shrines. While it may have curative powers in a religious sense, it seems that it also is a breeding ground for germs.

Old Faithful, a geyser in Yellowstone National Park, can spout water 170 feet in the air. That is as high as a 17-story building.

In Australia, a scientist put a Big Mac in a desk drawer and left it in there for a year to test the preservatives. When he pulled it out a year later, there was not a speck of mould on it. The only only thing different was that the buns were hard. He then microwaved it with a cup of water and ate it.

There are almost 800 different brands of bottled water for sale in the United States.

Lee H
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is the exact amount of water on Earth today as when the Earth was formed. Water is never totally consumed. It always recycles itself, in one form or another.

Not exactly true...what happens to the waste of astronauts in space? ;)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • michealrovermichealrover Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The thirst mechanism when having been turned off for a prolonged period is often mistaken for hunger. As you drink more water your thirst mechanism will return to its natural state. Not only will you begin to feel thirsty when you need water again, but your appetite will decrease.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Lots of good information on this thread.

I gave up pop (soda for everyone else :) ) probably a year ago and haven't turned back! Ahem.... The one exception I have is on the occasions where I drink Good Old number 7, I usually mix it with cola.

I probably average 4-6 glasses of water a day (1 glass being equal to 8 oz)
    I have also cut down my coffee to about a half a cup and I drink 2 glass of V8 Fusion most days. (it's been my replacement for pop).

As for supplements, Schluep is dead on! I don't take any synthetic supplements myself, especially after reading results from a Study done by UC Berkeley regarding supplements. I urge anyone to look up the UC Berkeley Landmark study on supplementation and come to their own conclusions. I have some links listed on my blog. All Natural supplements are more expensive but I definitely feel better since taking them.

Regarding Glucosamine, I've heard a lot of people having success with this supplement. I had my dad try it out but he couldn't handle the chondroitin. I found him a couple that use Vitamin D in place of chondrotin and one that uses Cats Claw (a plant, not actually cats claws...I've been asked about that before!). He has been able to use those glucosamine supplements.

Another really awesome supplement...At least from my own personal experience is CoQ10! I have poor circulation in my hands from a car accident 7 years ago (Raynauds disease). This has made it difficult for me to play guitar, lift weights and do other activities that would cause strain on my hands and wrist. Ever since taking CoQ10 for helping my Cholesterol, I have been having no issues with my hands. I've been lifting weights again and playing guitar. Hopefully lowering my bad cholesterol in the process as well, I'll find out on my next test.

Anyway, the CoQ10 is amazing. I did some reading up on it after taking it for about a month and realizing that my hands were feeling better. I found that it helps blood circulation, carries more oxygen to tissues in your body and helps with celluar and tissue repair. I just wish it wasn't so pricey.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 8 glasses a day is a general guideline, based on an 'average' person. The reason for this volume is to help flush the toxins from the body.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Liquid Consumption:

1/3L in the morning with brekkie
    10 large mugs of water during the work day
    4 Cups of tea at night

Constantly going to the toilet!
    :study: - Never stop learning

Completed
    Microsoft: 70-640,70-642, 70-646, 70-652, 70-653, 70-662, 70 - 681, 71-169
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA