What is the hardest topic to study for NET+?

Comments

• kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I don't know what you consider "a bunch", but I just took my test a couple weeks ago and had questions that required knowledge of IPCONFIG, NETSTAT, and NBTSTAT command-line switches.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    And regardless of whether you get any question with command switches/parameters on the actual exam, it's silly to learn the utilities and not know their common switches. I.o.w. learn them, recognize them 'and' use them. Don't try to memorize the switches, just use them.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah the OSI seven Layer Model is pretty scary at first

But it doesn't take much to get your head around it

All i did was remember

All People Seem To Need Data Processing

The hardest part is to remember where the protocols fit in and which layers the devices operate at.

The most annoying of the subjects has to be the Wireless technologies remembering all the speeds and what frequency they work at

Also FDDI is a annoyance considering I havent even encountered this technology what is the releverance lol

The IEEE 802 standards are pretty straightforward

The Annoyance with The Network+ exam I feel that it's leaned towards not how good your knowledge and troubleshooting skills are but how good your brain is at remembering irrelevant numbers and names.

What they need to do is up the ante for this exam and have a grading scheme so we can determine who really is knowledgeable and who simply is good at remembering facts and figures

They should make a section where you have to write about a troubleshooting process and get graded on your anwser

well that's my rant over
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    OSI was the hardest for me to soak in. There is just a lot there to try and remember, and it's not something that everyone uses in a day to day job (IMO)
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm going to be a rebel, here, and not go with the OSI model as the hardest part of this exam. Personally, when I first started working with networking technologies, the biggest stumbling block I had was troubleshooting problems and issues. The hands-on, nitty-gritty work involving faulty switches, frayed cables, incorrect addressing, that sort of thing, that's what seemed the hardest to me. I'm just fortunate that I learned the first five rules of network troubleshooting:

When there is any type of networking problem, begin the following five steps to resolve it:

1. Check the wire
    2. Check the wire
    3. See #2, repeat
    4. Have you checked the wire?
    5. After you check the wire again, begin troubleshooting layers 2 and 3

My first networking teacher wasn't cynical at all. Can you tell? icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • pradeep_jagtappradeep_jagtap Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The 7 OSI model need to explaned step by step to see what happens when a data passess through physical layer to application in a sequanced manners if someone can explan this step by step process how data transfer through this OSI models its best for us as well as who is new for Network + exam ,

Thanks
    pradeep
  • kahawalakahawala Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    :) i think its difficult for me to keep in mind al ports numbers.. OSI is easiy for me
  • REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm having a tough time memorizing the ports! A few were easy to remember. My husband, who is a construction worker-no computer experience at all, came up with some great fun ways. Like "Tel the Net" Michael Jordan is coming! It's 23 his number, and being from Chicago an easy one to memerize. Another one he came up with, is SSH being one who is shorter than MJ so it's 22! I have some more but I would probably get in trouble!
  • martinedwardsmartinedwards Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i found the OSI model the hardest as it seems the least interesting topic.
    when somethings not interesting you, there is no incentive there.

finally learnt it after reading and using the video tutor it many times.
    Knowledge is Power
  • ArmonasiaArmonasia Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm with JDMurray on this. Remembering the differences between 1000BaseSX etc... is what gets me. I must say the tech notes pdf has made things a lot simpler for me. I just got an IT job and would like to have NET+ before the year is out as it will look really good to the owner. Thanks to this site it looks like I will get it.
  • REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can I revise my vote? Now that I've passed the test, I'd say it's network implementation. Hands down.
  • EmpathyEmpathy Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Armonasia wrote:
    I'm with JDMurray on this. Remembering the differences between 1000BaseSX etc... is what gets me.

Same here... I just can't seem to get that stuff committed to memory.
  • 147147 Member Posts: 117
    I'm surprised by the number of people who say the OSI model. I didn't find it that hard to grasp or understand, but all of the various security protocols and access methods are confusing to me. As I've been passing more certs and studying for tohers, they are only just starting to make sense to me.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.
  • *StarFire*StarFire Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Remote access n security protocols part is tough. I like OSI model.
    Distractions all along the way.....perhaps will end up breaking everything
  • RapidFireRapidFire Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any tips on how to prepare for this test??? and how is it compared to the mcp-xp??
    12/31/89 n00b?
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The hardest thing for me on the test was the Novell Netware and Mac OSX server questions. I didn't study for this cause I read that there weren't many questions on these topics but man that wasn't true in my case. I had about 15 questions on netware and about 5 on mac.
  • Halcyon HellHalcyon Hell Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I voted other. Protocols, protocols, protocols, protocols, protocols, protocols.... Trying to remeber all of it then how they relate to which layer they belong on the OSI. Some are easy to remember, others not so much.
    BOFH (in training)
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    OSI and the the other stacks were the hardest for me to learn at first... but once you understand it, it's all second nature and it's just up there in your head to use.

I soaked up everything else like a sponge, but I had to read and re read and re read the OSI before I totally understood it.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • acrimoniousacrimonious Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The cabling/media stuff is the hardest for me. I don't find the OSI model hard at all, but I guess that's because I work with it. The Novell stuff is a pain too.
  • Messiah62Messiah62 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    routing protocols for me
  • LanHaoLanHao Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The different routing protocols can be a bit confusing in trying to figure out which ones are the distance onces and the link-state ones.
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    When I took it, there wasn't any hard topic. But, it was just so broad that you had to remember a lot about many different topics.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • NetEngineer86NetEngineer86 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mine was def Media not so much the topologies but ALL the DIFFERENT types of Ethernet and Ethernet over Coax and Ethernet over FIBER Optic. And all the speeds of each and the distances. That was definitely the hardest for me.
    Kyle Hook
    AAS Computer Network Engineer
    www.hookscr.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • loopnutzloopnutz Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WAN technologies. Very glad I did not get any of those on my particular exam. Did get most of the protocols and OSI though. And of course the definition of port mirroring, vlans, trunking, and stp.
  • daviddwilsondaviddwilson Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote: »
    I'm working on an OSI TechNote and an OSI quiz as well, here's the first part of the quiz: OSI quiz it doesn't have explanations yet (hardly needed either), but I'm sure this first part of the quiz will be useful to memorize some of the facts you need to know for the Network+ exam.

[Edit] I've expanded the quiz with some new quesitons and explanations, still... more will follow ;)

[Another edit:] the OSI model TechNote for the Network+ exam can be accessed here
    i would have to say just basic troubleshooting for those who havent been around to see deal with things like switches and hubs. I mean yeah its all basic knowledge sometimes but if u dont know stuff like which is the difference btween what techniques to use if servers go down, or hub lights are blinking what do you check. But all in all protocols where the hardest for me before i started taking cisco i was kind of %^^&& brained from them.

Yeah routing protocols... i did finally get down which were link state and which were distance, but on the test they had two differnet types of link state and two different types of distance to choose from, so on each question, even though i knew OSPF was Link State, i still only had 50/50 shot at getting it right. Drove me nuts.
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tell me if network+ is the lighter one compared to the CCNA.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Ed1975Ed1975 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Subnetting is really doing my head in. Remembering the differences between the routing protocols and WAN technologies is also tricky. I've read 4 books but there's still a certain amount that remains "fuzzy" and hard to pigeonhole.
  • epedrosaepedrosa Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IPV4 and IPV6 routing protocols Like Distance-Vector protocol RIPv1. RIPv2, BGP, EIGRP, IGP