asking for salary Range

Hi

I'm looking for a diplomatic way of finding out a salary range for a job.

Although I'm professionally happy where I am and actually love going ot work everyday I'm' between a rock and a hard place right now.

my girlfriend of almost 5 years had to move away for work so she is half ways across Canada right now. We had discussed me moving there should a suitable position come up. Right now I'm an "it support technician" for a major company in Canada and really the title doesn't accurately reflect my duties. I am part of a 2 man team responsible for sites in ever major city in Canada as well as in charge of managing a few external clients and procuring equipment an d writing policies for them. I'd say I'm really more of a net work administrator and I do a bit of It manager stuff as well. Not too shabby considering my age and experience level ( 5 years in IT).

anyways a job near my girlfriend just came up to be a field technician working with Novell( I do know a bit about it but more of an MS guy)and doing PC repair... a bit of networking, PC roll out lab implementation etc.

even though this would be a bit of a step back professionally it is something I'd be willing to sacrifices since I'm only young, 28 and could re-climb the ladder

problem is it is in Northern Canada and for me to move I'd have to be compensated well

I'd like to find out the salary range and even potential for growth before even applying if possible. I don't want to apply and go through any interview process and have them contact my current employer and jeopardized my situation there to only be offered a mediocre salary.

But I also so not want to jeopardized any chance of getting the job because they think I'm only in it for the money. I do have a genuine love for IT but I also can not afford to live in an isolated community and all the bills that come with it unless properly compensated.

so is there a good way to ask about a job's salary range and potential ot move up or is there no way around being blunt about it

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have heard that if you call the HR department and ask the salary range for a posted position, sometimes they will just tell you. Worth a shot.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    blargoe wrote:
    I have heard that if you call the HR department and ask the salary range for a posted position, sometimes they will just tell you. Worth a shot.

definitely worth a shot....I'll hold off applying until I can get in touch with someone there
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    the compensation was buried in the job description unless it was added to it but I would loose money If I took this job and would need to use my own vehicle to cover a very large geographic area for very little compensation for wear and tear
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just ask them what is the salary range. Remember it didn't matter how you research. The range is too board in today market based on location, experience, education and the company.

A easy way is to ask them during the interview.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    you might could just say "I am currently earning a salary of $XX.XX, can you meet this" and if not then you can naturally say how close can you get.