Florida hot spots....where are the jobs??

Hi I'm wondering where are the best places in Florida to get an It position??


reason I'm asking is my gf is currently seeking employment there as a teacher we are living in Canada right no but I am a US citizen and she is hoping ot get sponsored for a VISA through a contact my family has with the school boards in Florida

Currently we live several in separate provinces ( same as states) because she had to leave for work and the area she is it has zero for IT prospects for they pay too little

I have 5 years experience 2.5 of helpdesk, 1.5 as a systems admin and I also did about a year of database work

so what areas are hot beds for IT jobs so we can both be employed and be together??

Comments

  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec CISSP SSCP GSOM GSEC EnCE C|EH Cloud+ CySA+ CASP+ Linux+ PenTest+ Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 12,769 Admin
    Your best chance of IT opportunities are always in the big cities. In Florida, this would be Miami, Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Orlando (Disney World), Tampa, Tallahassee (state capitol) and Jacksonville. Look on dice.com for helpdesk/IT/networking jobs in Florida and see what cities they are grouped in. Teachers are needed everywhere, so it's most important to discover where are the worst school districts and to avoid them.

    Florida has some pretty bad freeway traffic, so unless you both live very close to where you work, plan on each having your own car. And unless you really love heat and humidity, air conditioning in your home/car/business is a must.
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Smallguy wrote:
    she is hoping ot get sponsored for a VISA through a contact my family has with the school boards in Florida

    You may want to consider TN status if the H-1B visa doesn't work out:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TN_visa
    Bachelor of Computer Science

    [Forum moderators are my friends]
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Smallguy wrote:
    she is hoping ot get sponsored for a VISA through a contact my family has with the school boards in Florida

    You may want to consider TN status if the H-1B visa doesn't work out:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TN_visa


    was not ware of that option thank you
  • IronboxIronbox Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was having trouble finding a good position in west palm beach. I lived there my entire life. I did work as a SA for three years at a smaller company which got me to this large company out here in Seattle, WA. The amount of IT jobs up here in Seattle really amazes me.

    Good luck in your search in the Sunshine state! Damn I miss it. Tear~
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Ironbox wrote:
    The amount of IT jobs up here in Seattle really amazes me.

    Good luck in your search in the Sunshine state! Damn I miss it. Tear~

    A lot of jobs?
  • Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    garv221 wrote:
    Ironbox wrote:
    The amount of IT jobs up here in Seattle really amazes me.

    Good luck in your search in the Sunshine state! Damn I miss it. Tear~

    A lot of jobs?

    Compared to Florida, anywhere has lots of I.T jobs....

    I've given up on that computer stuff and I'm just gonna wash cars or something and try to get a degree in a field in which I have a better chance of getting a decent, consistent salary.
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Seattle...damn what i'd give to be employed by Boeing...a friend of mine is there and the closest family member or even friend is 3K miles away, but he says the experience is unreal. He is an industrial engineer. Got the job while he was attending FIU...lucksack.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Ironbox wrote:
    I was having trouble finding a good position in west palm beach. I lived there my entire life. I did work as a SA for three years at a smaller company which got me to this large company out here in Seattle, WA. The amount of IT jobs up here in Seattle really amazes me.

    Good luck in your search in the Sunshine state! Damn I miss it. Tear~

    really, lots of job Seattle?

    Thats actually where i'd like to move - back out on the west coast, hopefully avoiding the insane cost of living in California. I'm in South carolina and the IT market here is for the most of it garbage. I'm hoping to save up enough after i graduate to take my self somewhere with a better IT market.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

    In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    really, lots of job Seattle?

    Amazon and Microsoft come to mind :)

    Yeah, cheers to the pacific northwest, but with 70 clear days a year the gloom factor would definitely have to be considered...haha
    Bachelor of Computer Science

    [Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    really, lots of job Seattle?

    Amazon and Microsoft come to mind :)

    Yeah, cheers to the pacific northwest, but with 70 clear days a year the gloom factor would definitely have to be considered...haha
    i mean other than 2 companies :-p

    the gloom factor isn't a huge issue for me.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

    In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    really, lots of job Seattle?

    Amazon and Microsoft come to mind :)

    Yeah, cheers to the pacific northwest, but with 70 clear days a year the gloom factor would definitely have to be considered...haha


    You know server rooms don't get a whole lot of sun so what does it matter? :D
  • keatronkeatron Security Tinkerer Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    really, lots of job Seattle?

    Amazon and Microsoft come to mind :)

    Yeah, cheers to the pacific northwest, but with 70 clear days a year the gloom factor would definitely have to be considered...haha

    Don't leave out Boeing.
  • c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    Do you need a security clearance to work for Boeing, or is that restricted to certain positions? I would imagine that some positions probably would require something like that... >.>
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
Sign In or Register to comment.