Options

When will the TV be big enough??

2»

Comments

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

I think it is safe to say that in 2 years time TV's will be even cheaper, i paid £1000 for mine and i am sure that in 2 years an equivelant spec TV will be half that if not cheaper

I dont regret spending the money on this TV although £1000 could have done a lot of other things like a nice holiday for our kids, i doubt we will be buying a new TV for the living room for at least 10 years

One thing i didnt expect from a large TV is the atmosphere when watching a boxing match, you dont miss a single part of each round and its far more enjoyable compared to watching on a smaller TV

42" is big enough for my living room and i dont plan on moving house for a long time, so maybe TV sizes will remain the same as i cant see demand for 60"+ TVs being that popular

Lee H
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Want to know something odd? I don't own/have a TV at all. I've been married for 17 years and less than two years into our marriage we decided to kick the thing out of the apartment for good. I think we had used it 3-4 times in that 2 years and the rest of the time it stayed in a closet since our apartment was pretty small anyway. We've raised 2 children (ages 10 and 13 now) without a TV and guess what? No bad side effects. icon_lol.gif

We do rent the occasional DVD to watch on the computer on a weekend and when we travel we'll watch the TV at the hotel for a while. So far as I can tell we're not really missing anything. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't own/have a TV at all.
    I can't imagine that! I don't watch a ton of TV, but I am a huge football fan (NFL), and have to watch the games every weekend...especially during post-season. I don't have time to read a newspaper before work in the morning, so I watch the news while eating breakfast. And of course there are some shows I watch throughout the week.

What do you do while you relax at night? Usually at least 30 minutes is spent on the TV for me, even if it's just to unwind for a bit.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Want to know something odd? I don't own/have a TV at all. I've been married for 17 years and less than two years into our marriage we decided to kick the thing out of the apartment for good. I think we had used it 3-4 times in that 2 years and the rest of the time it stayed in a closet since our apartment was pretty small anyway.

Thats impressive. When I lived in an apartment I told my fiance' no cable, we will watch movies occasionally but this will allow more activities and more talking. It worked for months until my family came over for Thanksgiving and wanted to watch football, thats when I found we were receiving free cable. Every summer I remove the cable from the end of May to the end of August b/c no one uses it, nothings on and I can re-up on the promotion come fall, I need HD football. Plus there is a wii in the house now.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    We've raised 2 children (ages 10 and 13 now) without a TV and guess what? No bad side effects. icon_lol.gif

We do rent the occasional DVD to watch on the computer on a weekend and when we travel we'll watch the TV at the hotel for a while. So far as I can tell we're not really missing anything. icon_cool.gif

I told myself when I have children there will be no sitting in front of the tv lounging or playing video games all day. They will have to play outside like my Mom made me, I now understand why she refused to buy me those consoles. And no, your not missing much but a big monthly bill.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I only own 1 TV and it is because the girlfriend is obsessed with it. She watches movies and cable allllll day. I hate the thing. I try to turn it off when I can but I do enjoy a few things. It's just I wouldn't need it like some people do.

I like watching poker, funny stuff, and very seldom movies.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a nice TV because I love to game, but we haven't had cable in over 5 years. There are a few things I like to watch, such as the Daily Show, Colbert Report, The Office, etc., but you can watch those all online (legally), and the lower quality really doesn't detract from the content. TBH, games have really spoiled me; I'm addicted to interaction. I have a hard time just sitting and watching something for hours on end. Unless the content is really captivating, my mind just wanders.

I can't believe people pay $150+/month for the high-end cable packages + TiVo subscription fees. I wouldn't do that even if I had money to burn.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    What do you do while you relax at night?

Help the kids with homework, surf TE, maybe even play an exciting game of freecell or two. Walk the dog. Read a book. Spend time with the wife talking/walking. Go out to eat. Go shooting. Whatever...
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Want to know something odd? I don't own/have a TV at all. . icon_cool.gif

We're talking about it. The cost just isn't worth the little value we get from having it and since they both are old and dying anyway.....I just don't think they'll be replaced.

Good for you!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Want to know something odd? I don't own/have a TV at all. I've been married for 17 years and less than two years into our marriage we decided to kick the thing out of the apartment for good. I think we had used it 3-4 times in that 2 years and the rest of the time it stayed in a closet since our apartment was pretty small anyway. We've raised 2 children (ages 10 and 13 now) without a TV and guess what? No bad side effects. icon_lol.gif

Very impressive! There was a span of like may 10 months when I didn't watch much television at all unless my fiance came to visit, and that was movie or two. My other time was work, building computers, gaming on the computer, reading/studying, and outdoor stuff with family and friends. I then got settled with work, married, stop spending money on PC upgrades, then the consoles, then cable, then created a couch potatoe lifestyle after work...definitely need to change and working on it for 2008!!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)