Options

Why people on Dice.com are so pessimistic?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    dynamik wrote:
    Main Event wrote:
    I think I am as well as with that said the admin can delete my account since I don't see a need to continue on. I'm sorry but the field is mostly a joke in my eyes and the eyes of many others. I wish you guys all the sucess in the world with this field that you call a career.

I'm still somewhat young (33) I'll do something a bit more stable in my opinion.

I wish you all the best, the admin can delete the account and if I have another account under the same ip address, delete that one too...

I don't understand why you keep coming back to the forums after you've thrown in the towel. If you want a less volatile career, that's you choice, and we all respect that and wish you well. It's annoying when you keep whining and spreading this FUD for no legitimate reason. IMHO, it doesn't look like you put a lot of effort into pursuing an IT career over the last nine years. Complete novices can easily obtain an A+ and Network+ in 6-12 months. What did you spend the rest of the time doing? How did you differentiate yourself from all the other people applying for IT jobs? I spent three years doing difficult physical labor and operating heavy machinery in a small business that let me handle their computers and networking before I got my break. Go read Turgon's thread about his work on the CCIE lab to see how much effort he's putting in to just one part of one certification. You don't just get handed a great career for earning a couple of entry-level certifications. Maybe the problem lies with your expectations, not the IT field. If you had some personal hardships or setbacks during that time, I sincerely feel for you and understand. However, when you just blame the field, you're really putting the blame for your lack of success on your own shoulders. This field is constantly expanding. Technology is become more diverse and complex. There is no reason for those who work hard and persevere to not succeed. There is no reason why they will not continue to do so well into the future.

You're right...
  • Options
    silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    I've been lurking on dice.com boards a bit since I read this thread here. Doing so really makes me appreciate the community we have here. Those people are insane! The majority of them are just stewing in their own bitterness and defeat and trying to scare everyone out of IT. One guy is literally recommending people go into plumbing and other "hands-on" type careers only because of his completely irrational and overblown fear of off-shoring. Wow! icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    jarjarjarjar Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A bit of observation: A lot of these doom-N-gloom types were either around 8 years ago, or at least saw what was going on 8 years ago. In 2000 companies were throwing st00ped amounts of money at IT people ($70k a year to a guy who couldn't install Win Ninety-Eight). Many of them non-deserved. Fast forward 8 years... those days are gone. God forbid an individual with 12 years experience (and a AA) only makes $85k a year in the suburbs.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ... the admin can delete the account and if I have another account under the same ip address, delete that one too...

A little dramatic, aren't we?

You get out of IT what you put in. One of my classmates in college was in the same curriculum I was, but he never put in any effort in class and just got by. Fast forward several years, and he is now a postal worker making $11/hour. I am making more than double that.

We took generally the same classes, but I had so much more drive and ambition than he did. If you have that, the rest will follow sooner or later.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    ... the admin can delete the account and if I have another account under the same ip address, delete that one too...

A little dramatic, aren't we?

You get out of IT what you put in. One of my classmates in college was in the same curriculum I was, but he never put in any effort in class and just got by. Fast forward several years, and he is now a postal worker making $11/hour. I am making more than double that.

We took generally the same classes, but I had so much more drive and ambition than he did. If you have that, the rest will follow sooner or later.

This is true. Same with me because I just left a company where my co-worker, who worked for the co. longer than me, went to the same scool I did and took the same classes. But that person chose to take all online classes to save time instead of getting hands on at the school, didn't make the same grades I did, had no ambition, didn;t study for certs, and succumbed to a comfort blanket of a low level job. Now that person is sitting in the same position while I move up. Theres no secret to this industry. You have to be smart, hardworking, and ambitous, and catch a little bit of luck. But luck is only when preparation meets opportunity.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    "But luck is only when preparation meets opportunity."

That is so true. I've always believed that you make your own luck.
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Main Event wrote:
    The problem is that I.T is a very specialized field, very few times you'll learn skills that branch off into other areas. Certifications are good and will help but lots of people have the same certifications and have usually the same skills. When you compare a MCSE to say a Accountant, who do you think has a opportunity to branch off into bigger and better things?

bunch of crap...I can name 3 new 'categories' that branch off into other areas in IT right off the top of my head:

1. Security
    2. Database
    3. VOIP

all 3 of these are very lucrative if you apply yourself

Main Event wrote:
    And Accountant or even a individual with a typical 4 year degree in Business, will have much more options in case any issue arrives at his/her place of work. The options to do other things are far greater that in I.T.

Such as what, becoming an accountant somewhere else? Bank Teller? Manager at McDonalds? Talk about diverse! icon_rolleyes.gif Its the same in any industry. The more experience you have and attain along the years, the more diverse your job scope gets.

Main Event wrote:
    A couple years ago, the I.T industry and alot of individuals began to stress the importance of social skills, stressing the fact that it's just not smart just to be a techie and that improving custom service skills will greatly improve a chance at doing other things... I agree, a typical tech person will be very limited in all regards but a degree in Computer Science is a very limited degree and isn't something that can branch off into other areas.

gotta go with the flow, my friend. Many a user on the boards here express good written (and I assume verbal) skills. If we didn't, we'd be out of a job. Hell, people that speak English as a second language get IT jobs all the time! Communication is KEY...ANYWHERE YOU GO!

Main Event wrote:
    Now, do you think the average individual who spent $50,000 on a degree from a University and has school loans to pay back wants to go through all that hassle? To be honest, you better believe alot of people are old fashioned and feel that after $50,000 spent and 4 years of hard studying and a small social life, they expect a job, not many people have the time to play games and in I.T for many people it's pretty much a game.

those old fashioned people are idiots then. Like i said earlier today, good jobs are EARNED not given. I dont care if a person has a degree or not, they need to prove that they belong,
    Main Event wrote:
    If you make good money and have success in I.T then by all means go on but what those guys are Dice say are very much true.

sounds to me like its very much BIASED. What kind of people post there? The kind that have a great job and and very little time to post something; or the ones that cant land a job for some reason, disgruntled, and have all the time in the world to post their biased opinion? Tell me which type of person has more time...
    Main Event wrote:
    Chevron has a total of 26 I.T based jobs in the United States, this is the 4th largest company on American soil..... seriously, let's be honest here...

So DONT APPLY AT CHEVRON! HONESTLY, there are plenty of IT jobs. Maybe not in your area, so moving might be an idea...

Main Event wrote:
    I.T isn't for everyone.

no, its not...

We are not trying to be mean, we are trying to set the record straight. I think you've been given some bad advice along the way. Whatever you decide, good luck in life
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security