Options

Boson CCNP 7 for the BSCI exam

general9mmgeneral9mm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

This question is for those who have done the BSCI exam and may be used the boson 7 ccnp lab sim.

Can you please let me know is it worth using it. It supports alot of commands but does the built in lab prepare you for the sims in the exam.

It is a good tool for learning cisco routers but the exam sims is what worries me. From ccna i have learned that they do in a different direction.

please let me know

many thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don;t like it because it does not simulate multilayer switching and routing very well at all for the BCMSN exam. I like precision because the real world requires precision. If you are not precise on what the outputs are showing you, then how can you learn to be an effective troublehsooter?

Boson for NA wasn;t that bad as long as you used the built in labs and topologies, but Boson for CCNP is just horrible in my opinion. The routing protocols do not work with Multilayer switches and the outputs are way off. Maybe I got a bunk copy. icon_confused.gif <---Does not mean my copy is unlicensed.

It may be alright for BSCI. I will not use Boson for the routing exam anyways. Home labs are too inexpensive to not invest (comparitively anyways) and Dynamips is there for the taking.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    If you're doing routing - Dynamips. Really can't beat it.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bmauro wrote:

I second that notion... :)
  • Options
    Yes, but setting that up is such a hassel. i cannot find the ios either.
    bmauro wrote:

I second that notion... :)
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    I disagree with the setting up part.

All you need is to take 30 mins and read through their tutorial/walkthrough. After that - you can have a big and I mean BIG network (depending on how much RAM you have).

I have I think 10 3620 routers and one 7200 router in one of my dynamips setups and it takes I want to say less than 1GB of ram. And if I want to completely change the topology it takes me about 5-10 mins to re-config.

And talk about convenience - I can take my networking lab with me anywhere with my laptop.

But you do have a point on locating IOS...
  • Options
    general9mm wrote:
    Yes, but setting that up is such a hassel. i cannot find the ios either.

If you are serious about learning this stuff the hour or so you'll spending learning how to use dynamips is a very small price to pay to be able to run 10 or 12 routers on your machine, considering the cost of the actual hardware. A nicely crafted google search will turn up the 12.4.18 Enterprise IOS on the first page. :)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    general9mm wrote:
    It is a good tool for learning cisco routers but the exam sims is what worries me. From ccna i have learned that they do in a different direction.

You should be studying and practicing to learn the topics on the exam -- not just memorizing the commands for a couple of SIMs.

If you actually learn the material covered in the exam topics you should be able to pass the exam and do a job someone with a CCNP should be able to do.

If you study and practice for the SIMs (that would probably include a violation of the Cisco NDA and Candidate Conduct Policy) and while it might get you a piece of paper, you probably wouldn't be able to do the job expected of a CCNP.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I played with Boston and found glitches even in the labs it provides for the CCNA. I'd be scared to trust the company for anything as complicated as the CCNP. It was just tedious, and for what they charge too, it's horrible.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    fonquefonque Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I highly recommend the boson sim for passing the CCNA. It will really help nail down when to use what show command.
    But Daniel333 is right, it is glitchy to say the least. I do not plan on using this for anything CCNP related.
    I program my heart to beat breakbeats and hum basslines in exhalation.... matter, verse, spirit
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks you guy for the advise. I have spend a day setting up the GNS3 labs and finally founf some really old IOSs. But it works and i am pleased with that.

Can someone please let me know which IOS is best for preparing for BSCI.

many thanks
  • Options
    general9mm wrote:
    Hi

Thanks you guy for the advise. I have spend a day setting up the GNS3 labs and finally founf some really old IOSs. But it works and i am pleased with that.

Can someone please let me know which IOS is best for preparing for BSCI.

many thanks

Get the latest enterprise IOS you can find...

I have 12.4(1icon_cool.gif which I found easily on google a few weeks back: c7200-js-mz.124-18.bin
  • Options
    Hi

thanks, i manage to find 7200 as well. but at 256MB of Ram it is resource hungry, kills my 2GB in no time.

any other specific 2000 or 3000 series which would take about 64MB of memory.

many thanks
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd suggest using Dynamips/Dynagen rather than GNS3 if you are having resource utilization issues. GNS3 tends to eat a lot more system recources in my experience. I use 3600 or 3700 routers with Dynamips usually. I also would suggest getting an IOS the leagel way rather than pirating it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd suggest using Dynamips/Dynagen rather than GNS3 if you are having resource utilization issues. GNS3 tends to eat a lot more system recources in my experience. I use 3600 or 3700 routers with Dynamips usually. I also would suggest getting an IOS the leagel way rather than pirating it.

There is no "leagal" way if you are using it on Dynamips icon_wink.gif

If you have a service contract you can download it from Cisco but that is going to be for the device the service contract is tied to, not Dynamips. But this is an old arguement that will never end and I'm not trying to start a new debate. If you're using it for Dynamips who cares, right?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    True indeed dtlokee.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that dynamips is free. I think if Dynamips was something you had to buy, and the guys were profiting from it, then Cisco would probably say "hey I don't think so". Dynamips might even rake in more cash for cisco than it is pulling away because an emulator means people are studying, which means people are paying for cisco exams, which means that people are becoming cisco device advocates, which means cisco sells more hardware. So it could be seen as a silent promotional tool.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!