Crushing Blow to HD-DVD

2»

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    Are you referring to the fact that Blu-Ray has stronger DRM than HD-DVD?
    Any external Blu-ray drive would have only an HDMI connection, so Blu-ray will always walk hand-in-hand with DRM. The HD-DVD format is not so tightly tied to DRM, and therefore the MPAA was not in favor of it succeeding.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    All this fight really did was drive the consumer away from physical media and towards digital downloads.

I don't think it was this "fight" that drove consumers away -- I think it is the pricing. $30 for a freakin' movie? I'll save my money and wait for prices to decrease.

Yep, I used to buy dvds till I got a PS3. I stopped buying and started renting from Netflix cause HD is just too much to buy.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's a really good article on the failure of HD-DVD. Although I somewhat disagree with their pointing to it not being integrated with the 360 as a cause, I think the other reasons are pretty valid.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080219-3things-hd-dvd-coulda-shoulda-done-to-be-a-contenda.html
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    royal wrote:
    Yep, I used to buy dvds till I got a PS3. I stopped buying and started renting from Netflix cause HD is just too much to buy.
    The PS3 is suppose to do an excellent job of upscaling regular DVDs to render a better picture on HD televisions. Of course, HD TVs can do their own upscaling, but I'll assume the processors in the PS3 are a good bit faster than what you'll find in a typical HD TV.

At under $400US now, when I hear about a firmware update to add the newer HD audio codecs to the PS3 I'll by one that day.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PS3 plays my Blu-Ray discs on my 42" 1080p LG tv very nicely. Looks amazing! My buddy has same setup with a 50" Samsung and a stereo system and loves it.

PS3 is the way to go IMO!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks